guns

rod

Retired 22 years
No, I haven't bought a gun from a brick&mortar store in probably a decade, but I looked it up and this was what it said:

How a Federal Gun Background Check Works

In the United States, anybody who wants to buy a gun from a federally licensed firearms dealer (FFL) is subject to a background check. Since 1998, when the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, or NICS, went online, the Federal Bureau of Investigation has processed more than 320 million of them.

Considering you state what make and model gun you are buying (along with serial numbers) I would think this qualifies as registering one.

I may be wrong.

SLW

In the United States, anybody who wants to buy a gun from a federally licensed firearms dealer (FFL) is subject to a background check. Since 1998, when the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, or NICS, went online, the Federal Bureau of Investigation has processed more than 320 million of them.

Considering you state what make and model gun you are buying (along with serial numbers) I would think this qualifies as registering one.

I may be wrong.
It's not registration, but there is paperwork tying you to the sale somewhere. But even still, many (most?) states don't require a background check if the seller isn't a dealer. The majority of guns I've purchased have been this way.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
It's not registration. But even it were, many (most?) states don't require a background check if the seller isn't a dealer. The majority of guns I've purchased have been this way.
The NICS is ran by the FBI and you say your store bought guns aren't registered :-)

Babagounj

Strength through joy

Regarding the firearm in question, a background check of the purchaser was conducted as required by Colorado law and approval for the sale was provided by the Colorado Bureau of Investigation

newfie

Is there a reason we all have to accept the nonsensical argument that gun ownership protects the population from a tyrannical government? You need to accept that silliness to take issue with gun registration.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210326-201730.png
    Screenshot_20210326-201730.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 77

Babagounj

Strength through joy
My state already requires a background check and permit to just own a gun.
Along with other controls , it is not the safest state in the region.
The other states that require less are much safer.