guns

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
So my Illinois FOID card finally showed up. Thought about a shotgun at first but prefer something not so conspicuous on the way to the range. What’s a fun handgun for the range? Don’t really care about price but not don’t wanna pay $3 a round for ammo either. (Yes. I’m exaggerating. For now.)
Move across the border.

Burn that thing on your way out.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So my Illinois FOID card finally showed up. Thought about a shotgun at first but prefer something not so conspicuous on the way to the range. What’s a fun handgun for the range? Don’t really care about price but not don’t wanna pay $3 a round for ammo either. (Yes. I’m exaggerating. For now.)

good luck finding ammo of any kind

SLW

I walked into a Walmart once and bought a chainsaw having no idea how to handle it.

After reading the instructions, and a couple of test-fires, I understood it and I was able to dispatch a tree.

And somehow, the schools and post offices in the area were left unthreatened.

There's something vaguely familiar in all this.
What's the effective range on those chains? It's not the same. Kids should be taught gun safety (and possibly marksmanship) in school.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
What's the effective range on those chains? It's not the same. Kids should be taught gun safety (and possibly marksmanship) in school.
Then I went into Home Depot and bought an Impulse gas-powered nail gun, had no idea to operate it.

After reading the instructions, and a couple of test-fires, I understood it and I was able to build a shed.

And again, somehow, the schools and post offices in the area remained unthreatened.

Beginning to get that old déjà vu feeling again....

And I totally agree that teen-aged children should be taught all about guns and the proper respect for their use, not unlike training them in the martial arts and teaching them the same philosophy of respect and restraint.

Mutineer

The Ruger MKI, II, (out of production) and III. Some people like the Ruger22/45. Personally, I prefer the MKII.

However, if teaching kids or novices to shoot, I highly recommend a .22 revolver. Older S&W models with adjustable rear sights come to mind.

There is a list too long to compose for .22 pistols to stay away from. The main issues is that they are terribly inaccurate, lack sight adjustability in order to "sight-in" or "zero", and sometimes unreliable.

SLW

Ruger Mark. Or, if you want an inconspicuous rifle, a 10/22 takedown.

Fenris

Assuming the firearm will be dual utilized for home defense I would recommend the M&P40 or M&P9 from Smith and Wesson. Reliable, accurate, easy to use and reasonable price.

rod

Retired 22 years
And I totally agree that teen-aged children should be taught all about guns and the proper respect for their use, not unlike training them in the martial arts and teaching them the same philosophy of respect and restraint.
Damn- they start training them way earlier than that around here. It's not uncommon to see 7 -8 year olds deer hunting.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
When the feds finally come around for gun confiscation, I plan on using the Biden defense.
" but officer I disposed on my revolver in a supermarket trash bin "

It will be fine

Nothing new here, but the states that do this are basically making you register as a gun owner, which is bad. Most of us do it voluntarily though.
Is there a reason we all have to accept the nonsensical argument that gun ownership protects the population from a tyrannical government? You need to accept that silliness to take issue with gun registration.

SLW

Is there a reason we all have to accept the nonsensical argument that gun ownership protects the population from a tyrannical government? You need to accept that silliness to take issue with gun registration.
Yeah, I do accept that silliness to a certain degree, but I also just don't see the point of gun registration. As I said, most of us do it voluntarily in states that have CC laws, but what good does it do (except speed up my background check and "prove" I'm a "good guy" in FTF sales)?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
What is the purpose behind gun registration? Will that take guns out of the hands of criminals? If not, then it just becomes the first step in the process of outlawing guns for law abiding citizens.

Full disclosure: I do not own any guns.