Guys who work in the FRIGID cold please reply

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
For real? You leave it run. I was considering this today, didn't get above 10, but I tried it the last freezing rain storm we got and got told about it.

You got "told" by a guy who spent the day in a heated office looking at a stack of reports. Its too bad you cant bottle up all the hot air he spews out and save it for use in the package car; it would eliminate the very issue he is whining so much about.

Thebrownstreak

A few years back we had a 3 week stretch where we didn't see temps above -10. I wore a pair of gym shorts, wool socks that came up to my knees, uniform pants, under armor, tee shirt, uniform shirt, hoodie, vest, neck gaiter, knit hat, and i wore mechanix gloves. The only thing that was cold were the tips of my fingers and my rear end. we were told that we weren't allowed to run our package cars, but our union steward and BA made phone calls all day to every driver telling them to just let them idle all day. Nothing ever happened.

doodoobrwn

I'm in Birmingham temp was 10 with a wind chill of -6 we worked from 3 until 9 yesterday morning when we finished the temp was still only 14 degrees I had on tights and Levi's gore tex 800 grain boots wool socks t-shirt hoodie warehouse gloves with inserts and hand warmers my fingertips were numb all night but my legs were warm with my tights and jeans

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
It was 0 when I woke up today plus a sustained wind of 10mph so with wind chill well below zero. I have two sets of thermals (base layers)--a standard grade thin black set and a thick polar grade set (like terry cloth feel). Last couple of days I've had to break out the face mask/hood combo but haven't had to go to the polar thermals.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I wear layer upon layer but you have to be careful not to sweat or you will be cold and clammy. When we have an extended period of Cold like this week, I am physically and mentally exhausted.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
A fact which is simply beyond the capabilities of the I.E geek in his cubicle in Atlanta to comprehend.

I would love to punch one in the face every time the side mirrors ice up, due to the fact that, the truck's defrost system sucks!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Others body heat is a great way to warm up. Just need up with another driver on lunch.

Could be trouble...

76236d1256955144-ups-driver-sexy_ups_girl.jpg

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
I deliver in an area where temps drop into the teens and 20s and I layer up and never complain.

Lol, teens and 20s, thanks for the giggle.

I've found what works best for me is more thin layers than a few bulkier ones. That way I can add or remove as many as I need and still be able to move. UnderArmor works but a budget alternative is flannel or microfiber pajamas. If it's a cutting wind try wearing a raincoat as an outer layer.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
We were never shut down because of cold. The longest cold snap I worked through lasted close to 2 weeks where the temperature NEVER got above 15 below and it got as cold as 30 below at night. The single coldest night I've ever experienced in Minnesota was -52 below (Feb 2,1996). It got down to -70 below in other parts of Mn. that night.

I think that was the winter I needed a nipple transplant after. :P

ups1990

A few years back we had a 3 week stretch where we didn't see temps above -10. I wore a pair of gym shorts, wool socks that came up to my knees, uniform pants, under armor, tee shirt, uniform shirt, hoodie, vest, neck gaiter, knit hat, and i wore mechanix gloves. The only thing that was cold were the tips of my fingers and my rear end. we were told that we weren't allowed to run our package cars, but our union steward and BA made phone calls all day to every driver telling them to just let them idle all day. Nothing ever happened.
It must be a real hazzle using the restroom? I mean, that's a lot of layers to peel back. I'm only talking about the clothes, people.

raceanoncr

Worst part for me? Frozen pens. No DIADs back then. All paper and pen. FROZEN pens. Kept spares in defrost vent, kept current pens in shirt pocket to keep warm, which meant coat had to be partially unzipped. No release, 'cept Pennys and a few others. All sig, all the time.

pen.png

UPSwife0174

Bergners/Boston/Carson whatever they call themselves in your area, has a brand called Ruff Hewn. They have heavy duty brown, fleece-lined hoodies that are super thick & warm, hubby has been wearing his daily under jacket. Our wind chill has been in the negative 30s as well. Temp this morning was 0 on the way to work. No one called off, in fact he has already logged about 8 hours of OT this week. Was so cold his board froze one day and they had to bring him a new one. Can't really tell ya during weeks like this why we choose to stay in the Midwest....