Guys who work in the FRIGID cold please reply

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I got called into the office a couple years back because of idle time because I had to keep thawing out my hands when trying to put chains on.

I said "you've got to be kidding" I told him next time it snows you are going with me to show how's it done.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
It got to 10 below. Air temp Wednesday morning. I'm just glad we have diesel's now. Great heat. Me -- I just wear the uniform with a t shirt. I also use the wind breaker. That's it. Also, a pair of the cheap nit with rubber on th palms. Just so my fingers don't crack

Ms.PacMan

-15, -14, -10 actual temps Weds - Fri. Wind chill -30's.
I wear long johns and sweat pants under my brown pants. Wool socks. I don't bother with a brown shirt. I wear a t shirt, a couple long sleeve cotton shirts and a heavy sweatshirt without an elastic band around the waist (too bulky) or wool sweater. UPS winter coat, wool scarf, stocking cap and polar grip gloves. I can't idle my truck because my route's too hilly.

Now where are those threads about living next to the ocean where it's 70 year round and how they deserve more pay because it's so darn expensive to live there? I can't imagine why that climate comes at a premium......

UPSGUY72

You just deal with the cold where by wearing layers and keep moving. I wear layers and my vest I never wear a coat I also wear a baseball cap all the time. Even though I don't wear a coat I bring one with me ever day in the winter just in case I brake down. I also bring extra socks, gloves and a winter hat just in case.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I wear long johns and sweat pants under my brown pants. Wool socks. I don't bother with a brown shirt. I wear a t shirt, a couple long sleeve cotton shirts and a heavy sweatshirt without an elastic band around the waist (too bulky) or wool sweater. UPS winter coat, wool scarf, stocking cap and polar grip gloves. I can't idle my truck because my route's too hilly.

Now where are those threads about living next to the ocean where it's 70 year round and how they deserve more pay because it's so darn expensive to live there? I can't imagine why that climate comes at a premium......

85 Monday, 78 tuesday, 77 Wednesday, 68 Thursday, 79 today. Short sleeve jack shirt, shorts, visor.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed

Btw there is a house in my route for rent for season.

25,000 a month! Not even on the water.

Only 15000 a month In the off season

Packmule

In this country you need an actual outfitter, not Walmart. Start with Polartec Extreme long johns, add pack boots and Thinsulate gloves and a Polartec full head cap, UA stocking cap over that. Throw in Outfitter wool socks, sock liners, and a set of professional volleyball knee pads and elbow pads. Then put a uniform on over that, with UPS hoodie and vest. Pack a survival bag with dry socks, extra caps and gloves, and don't forget the insulated coveralls.
Another words, plan on sleeping in the truck and hoping to heavens you never have to.
Retire before you get killed somehow.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
What works for me is to just keep moving. Even in windchills 20 below or more, I get by with a layer of cold weather Underarmour top and bottom, t-shirt, v-neck sweater vest, long sleeve uniform, and uniform vest. For gloves I get by with a pair of Mechanix-like work gloves, and my boots are just a pair of (supposedly waterproof) Gore-tex Danners. I wear the uniform knit cap but put on a balaclava when the wind starts to get ridiculous. The cold only starts to bother me (particularly my feet) when I become inactive for a bit.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
You just deal with the cold where by wearing layers and keep moving. I wear layers and my vest I never wear a coat I also wear a baseball cap all the time. Even though I don't wear a coat I bring one with me ever day in the winter just in case I brake down. I also bring extra socks, gloves and a winter hat just in case.
I dont know how guys deal with wearing nothing over their ears dude. If my ears get cold STICK A FORK IN ME IM DUNZO lmfao

Z

ZQXC

In this country you need an actual outfitter, not Walmart. Start with Polartec Extreme long johns, add pack boots and Thinsulate gloves and a Polartec full head cap, UA stocking cap over that. Throw in Outfitter wool socks, sock liners, and a set of professional volleyball knee pads and elbow pads. Then put a uniform on over that, with UPS hoodie and vest. Pack a survival bag with dry socks, extra caps and gloves, and don't forget the insulated coveralls.
Another words, plan on sleeping in the truck and hoping to heavens you never have to.
Retire before you get killed somehow.

..........or you could move to the Deep South and put on a light jacket.