Hand Carts

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I never remove a hand cart from a loaded truck, just won't do it... and I don't like it, it isn't me.
Now, empty trucks are fair game.

My center's safety committee made it a point have a hand cart in every car & spare ones available for the customer counter. I think they ordered a couple each month till their goal was reached.

Right before I retired the UPS Freight driver was at one of my pickups & he asked me if I could sign for 2 carts and take them back to the Center. He was already 20 miles away from the center so I think i was taking care of his misloads.

You all know who got a new cart that day!

Overpaid Union Thug

In our center we have two scenarios:

The first is the normal thief. They grab a hand truck off someone else's (makes me wonder what happened to theirs) before start time when most people won't notice.

The second is when one driver goes and takes another driver's hand truck without even being sneaky about it. When the other driver resists he claims seniority.

What does everyone think about the second situation? I've only had one driver attempt to do that to me and I didn't allow it. I'm all for seniority but when another driver's HT comes up missing I don't think that I shouldn't be the one to be scrambling to find a replacement. It's not my fault that they left it somewhere and can't remember where. Or that theirs was taken by someone else. It's real sad to see grown men/women acting this way.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The first is the normal thief. They grab a hand truck off someone else's (makes me wonder what happened to theirs) before start time when most people won't notice.

The second is when one driver goes and takes another driver's hand truck without even being sneaky about it. When the other driver resists he claims seniority.

What does everyone think about the second situation? I've only had one driver attempt to do that to me and I didn't allow it. I'm all for seniority but when another driver's HT comes up missing I don't think that I shouldn't be the one to be scrambling to find a replacement. It's not my fault that they left it somewhere and can't remember where. Or that theirs was taken by someone else. It's real sad to see grown men/women acting this way.

The senior guy is going to have an awfully long day if he doesn't find his handcart.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

See some of US have a conscience, I just think there should be MORE carts!!

...and we should have proper dispatches, uniforms that don't fall apart after the first wash, our birthdays off as paid holidays, 3 point seat belts, respect from mgt and the ability to participate in decisions regarding daily operations, drivers that don't start an hour early to sort their pkg cars and hinder their preloaders, drivers who don't run and gun and skip their lunches, the ability to remain anonymous on this forum, world peace and the end to mindless rants by The Other Side.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I noticed you did not include "I don't have my mind in the gutter". :wink2:
No he didn't and you didn't either!:surprised:
Dilli, you know where my mind is. We would work well together!
Yep I do!:surprised:
I have no doubt we would, we both have scruples. I bet we could work well together at many things. Now don't worry, I don't have my mind in the gutter, and I'm sure you don't either.
Yep, I KNOW you didn't have your mind in the gutter and neither do I!!!!!!

Ya............................ right :surprised::surprised::surprised:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I think I have a few spare ones in the garage.
They were being thrown away because they were broken, I spent a little time on them & they work real good now.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoaxster
I noticed you did not include "I don't have my mind in the gutter". :wink2:

That would have been a useless proposition. :wink2:
Never claimed to be an english major.

Oh wait that says proposition not preposition.............never mind.:wink2:

Tony31yrs

I worked in a large center and there were never enough carts, especially when we started getting more and more 70+ pounders. I locked mine to the rack in my car, but anytime I had to use it in the building, I had to watch it or it would disappear. Other drivers, preload and night hub workers were always "borrowing" them and not bringing them back.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Some drivers would damage or bend one a day if they thought they could get another one.

We have several different styles. Two out of alumin. and one out of steel. The steel one is heavy but very very strong to handle heavy loads.

The drivers that damage two wheelers dont ever want the heavier steel one, only the lightweight ones. And they are the drivers on the cars before start time and will steal (yes that is exactly what it is) yours that you take care of, and usually not even put their broken one in your car.

When the other driver resists he claims seniority.

What does everyone think about the second situation?
Seniority does not apply to stupidity or laziness.

Tell him to take a hike. Lack of proper planning on his part.......

One last thought. I would not ever use one that has issues or had been repaired improperly. They have caused some serious injuries here. And in many cases, the repair job is pretty close to what a new one costs.

d

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Does anyone else have the problem of having your handcart stolen by your fellow drivers? In my hub it happens all of the time. I regularly lock mine up in my pkg car at the end of everyday to avoid someone "borrowing" it. Friday I unlocked mine and left the area to take a leak, and when I returned it was gone! Our center manager has tried to remedy this situation by spray painting our center's carts all the same color, and allowing us to put our names on them, but even this doesn't make a difference. I have been a pkg car driver now for 28yrs and never had to lock up anything until the last few years. I guess this is a sign of the times. Is this unique to my area?
Leave the hand truck out on your delivery area at one of your first commercial stops that you go to every day and are cool enough with so as that it won't disappear from there. Pick it up in the morning when your on area. Problem solved.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave

Driver............only a sucker would give in and surrender their handtruck because another driver claims seniority. If the driver that is trying to pull seniority continues to go on about the issue after he is denied he should get his lights punched out after work around the corner from UPS property.

over9five

Staff member
Leave the hand truck out on your delivery area at one of your first commercial stops that you go to every day and are cool enough with so as that it won't disappear from there. Pick it up in the morning when your on area. Problem solved.

I did that for years. Excellent suggestion!