Happy Fathers Day!

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
As dads, sometimes we are away from home too often. But we do what we do for a bigger purpose than ourselves. For all those that do I say Happy Fathers Day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I was a kid growing up I did not have a Dad----I had a Father. You may ask, "what's the difference?" There is a huge difference. A Dad is someone who takes you to the ballgame, gives you your first beer and goes to the store to buy you tampons because you are too embarrassed to do it yourself. A Father is someone whom you fear walking through the front door every night.

When it was my turn I vowed to be a Dad rather than a Father and while I may not have always succeeded I feel confident that I did a much better job.

My Father passed away a few years ago and his memory died very shortly thereafter.

I will not be with Megan and David today as one will be with her family and the other too far away.
He will be here the week of the 4th and together we will drive down to visit her on the 28th (June).

"....and as I hung up the phone it occurred to me, he'd grown up just like me. My boy was just like me."

My son has my analytical and practical sides while he has his mother's warmth and compassion.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

image.jpg

BlackCoffee

Happy Father's Day -- except to the workers of the Saddle Brook NJ hub. They have to work today. So, they do not get to enjoy a full day of celebration.

bl04a

When I was a kid growing up I did not have a Dad----I had a Father. You may ask, "what's the difference?" There is a huge difference. A Dad is someone who takes you to the ballgame, gives you your first beer and goes to the store to buy you tampons because you are too embarrassed to do it yourself. A Father is someone whom you fear walking through the front door every night.

When it was my turn I vowed to be a Dad rather than a Father and while I may not have always succeeded I feel confident that I did a much better job.

My Father passed away a few years ago and his memory died very shortly thereafter.

I will not be with Megan and David today as one will be with her family and the other too far away.
He will be here the week of the 4th and together we will drive down to visit her on the 28th (June).

"....and as I hung up the phone it occurred to me, he'd grown up just like me. My boy was just like me."

My son has my analytical and practical sides while he has his mother's warmth and compassion.

raceanoncr

Lots of yrs ago, this stoic, prim, "no-fun-allowed", lady that I kinda grew up with, saw my little boy by my side for the first time:

She: "He sure looks like his Father".

Me: "Yeah, I sure wish we knew who he was".

Silence.

bl04a

Happy Father's Day Upstate! Many times I don't agree with you but this time I do. There is a huge difference between a father and a dad. I also grew up with a father. When I was a teenager I would come home and be relieved if he was upstairs sleeping. I hated being around him.
I have 3 sons. My oldest is a UPS driver like his father, my middle son is a Lance Corporal in the USMC in Okinawa. My youngest is in his junior year in high school. I tried my best to be the dad to them that I never had. Looking back, they all turned out to be good men, so I think I succeeded. A father can never replace a dad!
Happy Dad's Day to all of the Dads out there!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Happy fathers day to all who do their best, and try to make your childrens lives better than yours. For all the sacrifices, and sleepless nights, and providing the best you could.
I salute you all.
Fatherhood, like motherhood comes with no instruction book. The successful ones use what they had + what they would have liked to have in a father, and try to make it better. They erase the bad moments, or events, and say "I will do this better"
And if you still have one go visit, or at the very least call, but do not let this day slip away.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

You amaze and astound (and amuse) me every day. First, you post a sincerely personal and heartfelt post like this.

Welcome back!

We missed your false sense of entitlement.

Then, you immediately revert back to belittling people like this.

Incredible. BTW, you are no Harry Chapin.

trickpony1

.....and yet he still seems reluctant to get counseling to resolve this enduring anger and resentment towards his "father".

The Harry Chapin reference seems to admit that he's aware there is a lasting issue with his "father".