harry potter books.

NI1

12 people signed up in my center to deliver roughly 3000 copies (i think). They will have to have sign up sheets for air driver and on top of that they need to look at the seniority of those utility drivers. This is very interesting...

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
My hub runs four sorts--Noonday, Twilight, Midnight and Preload. Noonday is starting at noon on Thursday of next week, with a 2:30 downtime for a 3:00 Twilight Sort start. I was told I could stick around for the extra half hour or an hour if I wanted my 3.5. I'm betting they'll ask for double-shifting volunteers, though. I'm told management is predicting "many, many trailers" of Harry Potter books. This could be interesting for inside the operation. I haven't heard anything about running helpers but I'm going to ask if they need the help. -Rocky

We are delivering the individual Harry Potters too the post office on Friday and the post office will get them too the people on saturday. Basically if you have a post office on your route you'll have a big bulk stop and if you are on an extended route in a smaller town you might have a dozen too a couple dozen too deliver too the post office.

j4bucks

If that is the case, then why did they have a pcm ask for people to sign up on Saturday? My guess is that we will be delivering some of them besides post office. Last time it was probably to much for them to handle on their own, so they are looking for some help. Easy money!!!!

In my center 4 people signed up, but they are working 20. They can't be expecting that much volume.

We were told the sign up sheet was just in case there was some lagging volume or Potter books that didnt show up Friday for some reason. Its a huge account and huge deal and if UPS doesnt get its end of the deal done well we might not get the next contract i would assume. As of this time no full timers in our center is working on saturday. If something does happen where they needed a few drivers management would force from the bottom up. Everything in our center is going too the post office. We will not deliver any of it too residential locations. I saw the numbers. I live in a town of almost 100,000 and there are about 1,000 pieces for our town. A couple near towns of about 5,000 had about 40 books going too their post offices.

A

Anonymous Gearjammer

Educated guess: they posted the sign up sheet for interested drivers to work to cover their rears from repeat grievance. Those interested in working would be allowed to deliver a area decided by the center team to be most the cost efficient. All the books were probably printed with the basic labels dual address one for the post office then one for the final delivery to residence. Therefore center team could pull out certain areas for interested drivers to deliver on saturday rather then the post office, rest would be delivered to the post office for final delivery.

worldwide

Rebel,

How is UPS subcontracting when the packages are picked up by a Teamster, sorted by a Teamster, loaded by a Teamster and then delivered to the address on the package by a Teamster?

Keep in mind that Basic packages are coming from customers that either give all or part of their volume to a competitor and is filling a niche in UPS' service (shipping low-weight, low-value shipments, with no claims). If these are packages that would otherwise go to a UPS competitor, what is the issue.

The idea is to get new packages and have more jobs, right?

air_upser

A lot of bookstores and large outlets will start selling the books exactly at 12:01AM Saturday, so I suspect a large portions of the bulk deliveries will be Friday. As for Saturday deliveries, Amazon is offering Saturday delivery at an extra price, which probably means UPS or FDX deliver. I took the "supersaver" delivery, which means mine will probably be one of the ones droped off at USPS on Saturday for a Monday or Tuesday delivery. Just a thought. I'll check out how many Amazon NDA Saturday boxes goes through Worldport Friday night.

rebel

Rebel,

How is UPS subcontracting when the packages are picked up by a Teamster, sorted by a Teamster, loaded by a Teamster and then delivered to the address on the package by a Teamster?

Keep in mind that Basic packages are coming from customers that either give all or part of their volume to a competitor and is filling a niche in UPS' service (shipping low-weight, low-value shipments, with no claims). If these are packages that would otherwise go to a UPS competitor, what is the issue.

The idea is to get new packages and have more jobs, right?

The post office is delivering our bargaining unit work, this is article 32 in my contract. Like I said in a previous post I was paid on a grievance I won when UPS delivered this same basic service HP books to the post offie. The teamsters agree that this is subcontracting because this issue (basic service) has been in arbitration for a couple of years. I file my grievance every 10 days.

worldwide

Rebel,

If you had a choice between only one of the following situations, which would you choose?

1. Having new business (i.e. packages) that is picked up by a Teamster, sorted by a Teamster, loaded by a Teamster and then delivered to the address on the package by a Teamster.

or

2. Having those same packages being picked up, sorted, loaded and delivered by a non-union company (i.e. FedEx) or non-Teamster organization (i.e. USPS)

ups_vette

The post office is delivering our bargaining unit work, this is article 32 in my contract. Like I said in a previous post I was paid on a grievance I won when UPS delivered this same basic service HP books to the post offie. The teamsters agree that this is subcontracting because this issue (basic service) has been in arbitration for a couple of years. I file my grievance every 10 days.

Rebel...How do you get paid for a grievance that hasn't been settled and is in arbitration?

rebel

Rebel...How do you get paid for a grievance that hasn't been settled and is in arbitration?

They only paid the HP grievances. That is why my BA says he has a good feeling about the others. The HP grievances were separate. Several were filed in my local and won.

rebel

Rebel,

If you had a choice between only one of the following situations, which would you choose?

1. Having new business (i.e. packages) that is picked up by a Teamster, sorted by a Teamster, loaded by a Teamster and then delivered to the address on the package by a Teamster.

or

2. Having those same packages being picked up, sorted, loaded and delivered by a non-union company (i.e. FedEx) or non-Teamster organization (i.e. USPS)

you are obviously some sort of management. Are you telling me that UPS does not have some sort of contract with the USPS? Again article 32, no subcontracting.

Overpaid Union Thug

If the USPS is going to be delivering these than many people will wake up Saturday with a "sorry we missed you" notice in their mailboxes instead of receiving their book.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
the books are already coming in here in Columbus....we loaded an entire package car to the top with those things...

the entire hub is starting 20 minutes early on thursday to take care of the rest.

tieguy

Banned
you are obviously some sort of management. Are you telling me that UPS does not have some sort of contract with the USPS? Again article 32, no subcontracting.

Its not subcontracting the customer is addressing the packages to be delivered to a post office. We have an entire delivery chain. we pickup , we sort , we deliver the packages only some are delivered to a post office. A driver is actually paid to make a delivery on each post office package. If this is subcontracting then whats next? Do we stop delivering to mail rooms because the mail room delivers the package to the consignee? Do we stop delivering to receptionists/ front desks for the same reason?
How about indirects to the neighbor do we stop those for the same reason?

xDELETEDx

My hub is trying to find people to come in early to get a jump on the books. After moving me to a new job that I hate, my sup asked me if I wanted in on the overtime. I had considered it up until they knowingly moved me to job I _hate_ with a passion. Rather than train any of the people they've recently hired, they just stick me so I can mistoggle and crap since no one tells me a damn thing.:thumbup1:

Plus they told us we were "Least best" in our region hahahahaha

worldwide

Rebel,

We have a contract with the shipper to pick up and deliver their packages to the address that is on them. The address on some Basic packages happens to be the USPS.

Now a simple question for you to answer.

or