harry potter books.

STLFeeder

Need LS7 powered PKG car
We have a couple contractors coming into Earth City every night also. Gully brings in Avon, Guess brings in one, not sure where it comes from and from time to time Henderson brings in a trailer load of Snickers candy. We were told the Same thing. Customer can have it delivered to us cheaper that it would cost for us to pick it up. So either we do it this way or they go elsewhere.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Here at the Jax hub we started seeing the HP books monday..didnt see much tuesday or wednesday...Tommorrow small sort starts at 8:45 on day sort to handle the extra volume were gonna get

Thats what i was saying. Isnt it better too get a share in this than getting nothing. If we lose the basic service we lose out on those packages. Its not like we are going too win some battle and we'll get the whole loop and leave the post office out. We'll be the company that gets left out.

If everybody wanted to work on Saturday, we would only have to deliver p o boxes to the post office. The shipper doesn't want anyone to get the book until 12:01 Saturday morning. I think everybody not working Saturday is allowing for subcontracting.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Here at the Jax hub we started seeing the HP books monday..didnt see much tuesday or wednesday...Tommorrow small sort starts at 8:45 on day sort to handle the extra volume were gonna get

Saw Harry Potter books transitting through the Rocky Mountain/Colorado flagship facility (Commerce City) last night (7-18). I didn't get a look at the origin on the labels, so I don't have a clue where they came from.

Day Sort at Commerce City was supposed to start at noon on Thursday but its now a little earlier. Communication about how this is going to be classified--as far as shifts--isn't all that clear either. I was told one thing and then another by different members of management. I protested and the latter member of management gave me a report time. We'll see how this goes! -Rocky

A

Anonymous One

Two driver (They both have kids who are Potter fans.) told me today that they read some disturbing information on Harry Potter BLOGs. There were instructions to follow a UPS driver on Saturday in a Resi area. Look to see when the driver leave the book. Pick it up after the driver leaves. It tells about UPS's policy to leave it out of sight. I was surprised to hear this.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Two driver (They both have kids who are Potter fans.) told me today that they read some disturbing information on Harry Potter BLOGs. There were instructions to follow a UPS driver on Saturday in a Resi area. Look to see when the driver leave the book. Pick it up after the driver leaves. It tells about UPS's policy to leave it out of sight. I was surprised to hear this.

They don't have to go out and steal them, they can just read the book online. Somebody got an early copy and posted the whole book online last week.

loserupser

Two minute Therapist
"UPS tries to get to more packages in to the system to create additional Teamster jobs (as required by the contract) and yet you would prefer to NOT have these packages."

Its not that we don't want the work, we do want it there is a long list of part timers waiting to go into pkg! We want the additional jobs!:thumbup1:

Its all a process first 1 account then two, three and so forth! Before you know it we have a large segment of work dedicated to subcontractors,where do we stop it? At the beginning thats where!:thumbup1:

worldwide

loserupser said "Its all a process first 1 account then two, three and so forth! Before you know it we have a large segment of work dedicated to subcontractors,where do we stop it? At the beginning thats where!

So if you want to stop it at the beginning, what does that mean--NO Basic packages in the system (i.e. no new business and new Teamster jobs)?

Isn't the idea to get that one account, than another and then another? The idea is MORE packages in the system, yes? And since these Basic packages are NEW packages coming from USPS, FedEx and DHL customers that are being picked up, sorted and loaded on package cars delivered by Teamsters, where is the downside? These are packages that UPS never had and that customers did not select UPS to transport. They did not want to pay UPS Ground, FedEx Ground or DHL Ground rates--they wanted an alternative solution. Basic met their criteria.

If you have an alternate solutuion to win these customers and these lightwieight packages from the competition at a price they want to pay, please post your solution.

Fnix

Today we got hit by the books. I was unloading but I didn't get any of them. The guy unloading next to me was 3 walls from being done and when I finished my full trailer I looked into his trailer and he was still on the same one.

He got 3 walls of Harry Potter books and had to put them all into totes and send them to smalls. Was like 700 books in it.

HazMatMan

I'll be on vacation starting the 16th of the week so I'll be unable to work that Saturday. Oh well. I've only seen a few signatures on the bid so it should be interesting. Will the regular saturday guys be paid ground for this or will all the books be given to the full-timers that are forced to work?

You probably could work that Saturday, for it is not technically still your vacation time. Agree or disagree??

rebel

My LM told me along time ago until I put a tie on that I don't run the business. After years of hearing this I decided that he was right, so now I just let him know when they (sups) screw up. It is much easier to file and get paid than to try and come up with a solution. (He has told me numerous times to let him know when I'm ready for supervision.) It's not up to me to come up with the solution. I do have some questions on a more serious note. How come we deliver metro area basic packages to the consignee and the rural basics to the usps? How come all basics are not delivered to the usps? Why were several grievances paid the last time the HP books were del to the usps?

pkgdriver

My LM told me along time ago until I put a tie on that I don't run the business. After years of hearing this I decided that he was right, so now I just let him know when they (sups) screw up. It is much easier to file and get paid than to try and come up with a solution. (He has told me numerous times to let him know when I'm ready for supervision.) It's not up to me to come up with the solution. I do have some questions on a more serious note. How come we deliver metro area basic packages to the consignee and the rural basics to the usps? How come all basics are not delivered to the usps? Why were several grievances paid the last time the HP books were del to the usps?

I(metro) deliver basics to both places.If its a P.O. box it goes to Post Office.
Consigness basics outnumber PO basics 3 to 1. The rural drivers in my center have consignee basics also. How much not sure.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It would be nice if many of our large accounts were taken as seriously as these harry potter books are. I really dont understand this whole hoopla over these books. We have customers who ship out just as much daily as harry potter and dont get close to the kind of service these books do. Can someone please explain???

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
It would be nice if many of our large accounts were taken as seriously as these harry potter books are. I really dont understand this whole hoopla over these books. We have customers who ship out just as much daily as harry potter and dont get close to the kind of service these books do. Can someone please explain???

Its probably a one-off situation, Cold. UPS does not do what they did with Harry Potter regularly. As in, it comes around once every year or so. As a result, they probably can and did charge a slight premium for the service. Granted, Harry Potter's publisher almost certainly got a big discount but they still paid a lotta $$$ for UPS's service.

Question: would anyone have preferred FDX, DHL OR USPS get the entire thing???? With the Basic Service, we sorted, we transported them and probably delivered about 80% of it. USPS probably delivered the remaining 20%. 80% of something is better than 100% of nothing. -Rocky

rebel

Question: would anyone have preferred FDX, DHL OR USPS get the entire thing???? With the Basic Service, we sorted, we transported them and probably delivered about 80% of it. USPS probably delivered the remaining 20%. 80% of something is better than 100% of nothing. -Rocky[/quote]

I see you are a 23 year old sorter. Do you really know that much about the basic service? You use the word probably several times so I would have to think you do not. Take a guess as to why we don't deliver all of the basics to the USPS? I would (probably) bet worldwide knows. He seems to have some real insight to this subject. No offense, Rock.

haha harry had our whole center upside down. we even had the GENERAL MANAGER AND THE HEAD OF HR back there stacking books into the trailers not to mention all the supes and full time and part time back there workin.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I see you are a 23 year old sorter. Do you really know that much about the basic service? You use the word probably several times so I would have to think you do not. Take a guess as to why we don't deliver all of the basics to the USPS? I would (probably) bet worldwide knows. He seems to have some real insight to this subject. No offense, Rock.

Nope, don't know much about Basic. I do know it brings volume into our system and that's about all I need to know to support it. As to delivering all of the Basics...USPS probably delivers the rural ones and we take care of the urban/suburban Basic packages. Just a guess. Worldwide, Tie and Co. would probably have a better answer. And Rebel...never mind. I'll get an infraction if I say it. Have a great weekend, all! -Rocky

TSup

Take a guess as to why we don't deliver all of the basics to the USPS? I would (probably) bet worldwide knows. He seems to have some real insight to this subject. No offense, Rock.

Delivery Area Surcharge

Every package that is delivered to an address within a zipcode that has a Delivery Area Surcharge attached to it gets charged extra on top of our normal rates.....
Com - $1.40
Res - $2.20
UPS also has a residential Surcharge of $1.85

So for those zipcodes that have a Delivery Area Surcharge, I believe the charges that are saved by the shipper are at least $0.80 plus $1.85 or $2.65 per package. This is why I think we deliver to Post Offices in these areas.