harry potter books.

rebel

Delivery Area Surcharge

Every package that is delivered to an address within a zipcode that has a Delivery Area Surcharge attached to it gets charged extra on top of our normal rates.....
Com - $1.40
Res - $2.20
UPS also has a residential Surcharge of $1.85

So for those zipcodes that have a Delivery Area Surcharge, I believe the charges that are saved by the shipper are at least $0.80 plus $1.85 or $2.65 per package. This is why I think we deliver to Post Offices in these areas.

Now thats a good answer, Thanks TSup. Do you know why the union won the subcontracting grievances the last time the HP books were shipped? Why would the union be taking such a strong stand on article 32, basic package subcontracting.

rebel

how is it subcontracting when every single package even the ones going to the post office is delivered by a teamster?

Because the post office then delivers bargaining unit work. There are two addresses on the post office packages. That is why it is in arbitration. What did you say? I can't hear you.

worldwide

Rebel said "It is much easier to file and get paid than to try and come up with a solution. It's not up to me to come up with the solution."

Faulty logic as you are assuming there is a problem with Basic. The fact that UPS has any Basic volume means it is NEW business to UPS and it translates in to NEW jobs. UPS never had these packages and never would have themif not for Basic.

If you do not want to see Basic packages in the UPS system as they currently are, that means you do not want new volume and therefor new Teamster jobs.

You can not win these types of packages from the competition without coming up with a unique solution that meets the needs of the customer at a price they are willing to pay. You need to face the reality of the marketplace. Fedex and DHL have lower operating costs which translates in to the ability to offer customers a lower price for their version of Basic. Keep in mind that no Fedex or DHL employees deliver their "basic" packages--they ALL go to the post office for "last mile" delivery--100% of them. No new delivery driver jobs at Fedex or DHL because of their "basic" service but money goes to their bottom line. UPS has added NEW Teamster jobs (full and part time) due to Basic.

If customers that ship Basic (or the competitors equivalent service) were willing to pay the rate of UPS ground residential, or Fedex ground residential or DHL ground residential, don't you think they would? If UPS or the competition could offer a deep enough discount to have those packages in their system AND make a profit, don't you think they would?

Face the reality of the market--residential deliveries cost more to deliver--for all carriers. Customers are looking for the most cost effective way to get their product delivered. Some are willing to pay more for UPS, Fedex and DHL guaranteed ground service. For those customers, UPS can ususally compete pretty well with the other carriers. For customers that want the lowest cost and are not as concerned about guaranteed delivery and time-in-tranist, Fedex and DHL came up with their version of "basic" service (called Smart Post and DHL@Home, respectively). Instead of simply ignoring a new business opportuntiy, UPS developed a solution to win new business and create new jobs.

If you would prefer UPS simply walk away from this potential business and let non-union carriers have this busisness and continue to grow at a faster rate than UPS, then you must not want UPS to grow and the Teamster membership to grow.

You can't have it both ways. If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

worldwide

Rebel said "I respect your opinion WW, I just don't agree with it nor do the Teamsters. Good day!"

I appreciate that. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and generally an opinion is formed from a belief in something or a belief why something is "right" or "wrong" or how something should be done.

I am curious what the Teamsters solution to this "problem" is. If the Teamsters, and you, do not agree with it, what would you like to see happen? Would what you and Teamsters like to see happen be economically viable given the nature of the competion in this segment?

I would also think that as a UPS employee you have somewhat of a vested interest in seeing the company grow and prosper. If you have UPS stock, even more so. Since no company has ever shrunk to greatness, how does UPS grow business in this segment (light weight residential deliveries) while competing with carriers that utilize the USPS for all of their "last mile" deliveries?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
One thing that should be said about the basic service is that most of these basic accounts were accounts that were exclusive of the post office, small 1 or 2 pound boxes or clothing bags from spiegel, etc. Many that are opposed to basic dont seem to understand this. This is volume we took from the post office, using a loophole. Ups is delivering most of this volume, and using feeder and inside people to move all of it. Out of the three carriers ups is far more successful with winning post ofice acounts than fedex or dhl. There is almost a guarantee that in the near future ups will have other "partnerships" with the post office. Im sure there will be a time where a ups customer can put a po box address down and we will be delivering packages to the proper post office. If these kinds of partnerships will keep me with a similar rate of pay and similar benefits, then im all for it. Jobs are being created, come on people, its a no brainer.

30andout

I delivered Harry Potter to a small PO Fri. along w/the letter UPS gave us, and the postmaster said jokingly said if they had any problems they should blame UPS.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Out of the three carriers ups is far more successful with winning post ofice acounts than fedex or dhl.

FDX just renewed their contract with USPS in excess of 8 Billion dollars (2 years before exp of original contract). Unless you have proof that we are grabbing a major portion from USPS remains to be seen (or read!).

A

Anon2

I respect your opinion WW, I just don't agree with it nor do the Teamsters. Good day!

Aren't the postal workers unionized? If so, you'd have union workers delivering union packages. Don't you care about your union brothers getting some hours?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
blackbox, that is probably for the usps to "rent" space on the fedex planes. This deal with fedex and the post office is absolutely needed by fedex. Think about it, most of fedex express is letters, which take up no space at all. They need the post office money to fill the rest of their cargo planes in their us market. If the post office ever gives this entire account to ups(which is unlikely for many reasons, even though they rent space on our planes also)this would put a huge dent into their profits, they need that 8 billion to undercut their competion. I will ask the post man at the rural po that I deliver to about who brings them more basic pkgs ups, fedex, or dhl...im pretty sure we do. But in regards to the rented space in planes, that would be much more lucrative to fedex than having some "smartpost" partnerships with the post office. I think fedex manipulates their numbers better than anyone in this business.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
hey blackbox, are you from nevada(area 51???) Curious about las vegas and reno areas. Anything you can tell me about reno being a major warehouse area for many businesses now. Also about the huge empty sopts throughout nevada, are there smallcenters out there or satelite routes?

rebel

I am curious what the Teamsters solution to this "problem" is. If the Teamsters, and you, do not agree with it, what would you like to see happen? Would what you and Teamsters like to see happen be economically viable given the nature of the competion in this segment?

I would also think that as a UPS employee you have somewhat of a vested interest in seeing the company grow and prosper. If you have UPS stock, even more so. Since no company has ever shrunk to greatness, how does UPS grow business in this segment (light weight residential deliveries) while competing with carriers that utilize the USPS for all of their "last mile" deliveries?[/quote]

I do buy and own stock and I go out and grow the business every day. Since you are asking, I think UPS needs to comply with the contract. Maybe by next August you can have the language changed but for now article 32 says no subcontracting.

outamyway

Man, I was a little worried about this Harry Potter thing. But I only delivered one book from amazon.com on saturday. Some others had more, but not many.

tieguy

Banned
Because the post office then delivers bargaining unit work. There are two addresses on the post office packages. That is why it is in arbitration. What did you say? I can't hear you.

I said so is delivering to the front desk then, so is indirecting to a neighbors house. Whats that you say? I can't hear you?

Dude is it lost on you that if we lose those basic packages we lose out on all those accounts fully? These shippers are using our basic service because of the price. If we lose basic service they go too another carrier, they arent going too use UPS ground. So how is eliminating the basic service going too do us any good? Take away all that volume and you eliminate jobs. That is what will happen if the basic service is eliminated. Basic service has brought in huge accounts and ultimately has created more jobs. Take the accounts away, and jobs go away, its that simple.