Has working at UPS made you depressed?

Ilovetoast

How many of you want to get out as soon as you hit your 30 years?

17 years now and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, Unfortunately I’m in the sewers And it’s coming from a man hole cover.

From your fellow coworkers grim faces every morning to the managements fake Crocodile smiles it takes a toll on you.

I’m praying for a 22.3 job. Being a driver in Los Angeles is whole deferent battle I won’t get into.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member

17 years now and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, Unfortunately I’m in the sewers And it’s coming from a man hole cover.

From your fellow coworkers grim faces every morning to the managements fake Crocodile smiles it takes a toll on you.

I’m praying for a 22.3 job. Being a driver in Los Angeles is whole deferent battle I won’t get into.
Nah man we have it pretty good actually. Of course you can always compare yourself to the rich people on your route and bum yourself out. But that’s human nature. Pension and healthcare alone is top tier compared to any other industry. And add in all the paid time off we get. Fo’Gedaboutit. As for dealing with management. Just hit your 15 stops/hr and follow their methods word for word. You’re virtually untouchable. There are a ton of :censored2: jobs out there and we all could be doing way worse. Chin up buddy. You’re doing great

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member

also not everybody needs 30 years to retire. 80 and out

UnionGuy

No wonder Main St hub is always hiring drivers. Los Angeles is a terrible city to deliver in. Glad I turned down the offer.

quad decade guy

17 yrs and close? Not really. 13 years, especially if you've got your eye on the clock will be eternity.

Now, You my friend need distractions. I have lived for the weekend for 40 years. Raced motocross

for decades and still do. I have an airplane and(pilots license) and mechanics license. Always talk and

be around that kind of thing. Always have your next trip/vacation planned, dreamed of. I buy and

restore old motorbikes and always have a couple around and always searching for parts and such.

Distractions. The great pay always allowed me to experience things that most on this planet dream

about.

Plan B. Quit. There are 8 billion people on this planet that don't work at UPS. But be careful to think

they don't have their own problems. I looked at it this way: The job sucks and we work for and in

a system that is a giant meat grinder physically and mentally. But....it pays very well and all that.

I have admired folks that said "I quit", many have regrets and come back, some fade away and

die quickly in a different kind of hell. A 22.3 job means you still work for the same A-wholes and

in and around the system/culture-negative us vs. them. Feeders changes the scenery but working

at night is a whole other subject. You still could quit and move and start over. Around here, part

timers get feeders with virtually no time in. Remember every move can and will have consequences

intended or otherwise. Get promoted. Join em. Don't reject this so quickly. It has possibilities like

being able to relocate and jobs you don't even realize/ exist.

Life has a way of changing, sometimes unexpectedly. Sometimes wonderfully and sometimes

awfully. Parents and kids and all of those things. My career has seemed to change about every

15 years in profound ways like classifications by seniority and then some by economical and structural

changes to the company. Remember, there could be big changes in 13 years. Look around.

In California especially.

In the end, you don't have to work at UPS. It is a voluntary/free decision. I found a way to embrace

or really compartmentalize it as just part of my life. And then reaped the benefits and bounty it

provided....like a garden. Change your attitude and the days will fly by.

Inputnamehere

17 yrs and close? Not really. 13 years, especially if you've got your eye on the clock will be eternity.

Now, You my friend need distractions. I have lived for the weekend for 40 years. Raced motocross

for decades and still do. I have an airplane and(pilots license) and mechanics license. Always talk and

be around that kind of thing. Always have your next trip/vacation planned, dreamed of. I buy and

restore old motorbikes and always have a couple around and always searching for parts and such.

Distractions. The great pay always allowed me to experience things that most on this planet dream

about.

Plan B. Quit. There are 8 billion people on this planet that don't work at UPS. But be careful to think

they don't have their own problems. I looked at it this way: The job sucks and we work for and in

a system that is a giant meat grinder physically and mentally. But....it pays very well and all that.

I have admired folks that said "I quit", many have regrets and come back, some fade away and

die quickly in a different kind of hell. A 22.3 job means you still work for the same A-wholes and

in and around the system/culture-negative us vs. them. Feeders changes the scenery but working

at night is a whole other subject. You still could quit and move and start over. Around here, part

timers get feeders with virtually no time in. Remember every move can and will have consequences

intended or otherwise. Get promoted. Join em. Don't reject this so quickly. It has possibilities like

being able to relocate and jobs you don't even realize/ exist.

Life has a way of changing, sometimes unexpectedly. Sometimes wonderfully and sometimes

awfully. Parents and kids and all of those things. My career has seemed to change about every

15 years in profound ways like classifications by seniority and then some by economical and structural

changes to the company. Remember, there could be big changes in 13 years. Look around.

In California especially.

In the end, you don't have to work at UPS. It is a voluntary/free decision. I found a way to embrace

or really compartmentalize it as just part of my life. And then reaped the benefits and bounty it

provided....like a garden. Change your attitude and the days will fly by.

love everything you said but why in gods name are your posts formatted like that?

iruhnman630

I am extremely fortunate to have landed one of my favorite routes.

Now I show up on Monday morning and punch out Friday evening wondering where the week went.

The stress is nearly gone.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
No, working at UPS has provided a good living for my family. Between my income and benefits and my wife's income we do really well, We live in a large colonial on 1.5 acres abutting conservation land in one of the best neighborhoods in our town, we get to travel and drive decent cars... Have money for hobbies etc.

I am thankful to have a union job, a lot of people are way worse off than we are.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
I just noticed the OP lives in LA... I may feel different if I lived there. Beautiful place but the price of housing makes it miserable for working people like us

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I've found that going into work and punching in with less than 5 minutes to start time helps.

You spend much less time around the misery and management fakeness that dominate the workplace.

Another thing that really helps dont even look at your stop count in the AM. Assume that you'll be friend'd everyday and punching out at 10 PM. That way, when you punch out at 7 or 8, you'll feel like you've won.

I've found that going into work and punching in with less than 5 minutes to start time helps.

You spend much less time around the misery and management fakeness that dominate the workplace.

Another thing that really helps dont even look at your stop count in the AM. Assume that you'll be friend'd everyday and punching out at 10 PM. That way, when you punch out at 7 or 8, you'll feel like you've won.
If you get aggravated right off the bat it makes for a very long day

Precisely.

My first shop steward many years ago took me aside after I made book and told me "never, ever get flustered here. These are packages, they're inanimate objects. Do not let them dominate your thinking or your mental health."

I agree that its not always easy though.
Especially when everything won't fit in your package car and they have to shuttle stuff out to you.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
I had a decent on road sup give me this advice when I first started training, and it rings true. Without fail, the same guys go check the dispatch computer every morning only to come out pissed off. “Welp, I’m in the red again!”