Has working at UPS made you depressed?

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
17 yrs and close? Not really. 13 years, especially if you've got your eye on the clock will be eternity.

Now, You my friend need distractions. I have lived for the weekend for 40 years. Raced motocross

for decades and still do. I have an airplane and(pilots license) and mechanics license. Always talk and

be around that kind of thing. Always have your next trip/vacation planned, dreamed of. I buy and

restore old motorbikes and always have a couple around and always searching for parts and such.

Distractions. The great pay always allowed me to experience things that most on this planet dream

about.

Plan B. Quit. There are 8 billion people on this planet that don't work at UPS. But be careful to think

they don't have their own problems. I looked at it this way: The job sucks and we work for and in

a system that is a giant meat grinder physically and mentally. But....it pays very well and all that.

I have admired folks that said "I quit", many have regrets and come back, some fade away and

die quickly in a different kind of hell. A 22.3 job means you still work for the same A-wholes and

in and around the system/culture-negative us vs. them. Feeders changes the scenery but working

at night is a whole other subject. You still could quit and move and start over. Around here, part

timers get feeders with virtually no time in. Remember every move can and will have consequences

intended or otherwise. Get promoted. Join em. Don't reject this so quickly. It has possibilities like

being able to relocate and jobs you don't even realize/ exist.

Life has a way of changing, sometimes unexpectedly. Sometimes wonderfully and sometimes

awfully. Parents and kids and all of those things. My career has seemed to change about every

15 years in profound ways like classifications by seniority and then some by economical and structural

changes to the company. Remember, there could be big changes in 13 years. Look around.

In California especially.

In the end, you don't have to work at UPS. It is a voluntary/free decision. I found a way to embrace

or really compartmentalize it as just part of my life. And then reaped the benefits and bounty it

provided....like a garden. Change your attitude and the days will fly by.
There are more "A-holes" percapita in this company's management than any other business I've worked at or have been around.

Some are bigger than others but most are crooked liars and abusive.

I was in a stewards training meeting just a few years ago (the only one offered since the 90s) and the attorney who was running it was asking questions. I answered a few about the abuses at my workplace and the attorney said "you must work at ups".

It wasnt this bad in the 90s. It's totally out of control today.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
have you ever had another job for a frame of reference? it's hard to get a job this good . maybe if you were a skilled tradesman.

just keep your eye on the big picture.......taking car of your family , children for college etc. I was in your shoes once.

it changed when an ol timer told me the trick was to "not care" and think of the positives....the excellent heath care , pay , benefits , and eventual good retirement.

when my daughter was around 13 she had terrible teeth and the best thing we did was take her to the dentist and had them fixed. it changed her life and didnt cost us a dime. that alone made it all worth it.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
have you ever had another job for a frame of reference? it's hard to get a job this good . maybe if you were a skilled tradesman.

just keep your eye on the big picture.......taking car of your family , children for college etc. I was in your shoes once.

it changed when an ol timer told me the trick was to "not care" and think of the positives....the excellent heath care , pay , benefits , and eventual good retirement.

when my daughter was around 13 she had terrible teeth and the best thing we did was take her to the dentist and had them fixed. it changed her life and didnt cost us a dime. that alone made it all worth it.
Yeah. No other job has benefits.
Tunnel vision dude. Wake up.

Tell the retired CS folks about the great pension prior to 08. They arent the only ones that are losing what was promised as a "great benefit ".

We still work for punks that cant even drive a commercial vehicle nor load a PC but drag honest hard working employees into hearings for trivial garbage.

CMs fire drivers for not reporting accidents (which are broadly defined) but cover them up to their boss when they get the chance without batting an eye.

The company sends millions of virus masks to china but turn around and deny every workers comp injury of their own employees. Such benevolence.
Few employees endure what ups hourly do.

SMH

Last edited:

textat3

I can understand you are depressed. You live in the worst state in the nation. Get a hobby, stay sober, invest in your 401k, get out of debt and start dreaming of the day you can leave that liberal hell hole out there.

rocket man

The route I've been on and recently re bid on it. It can only get so big. And 9 / 5 grievances is a backup I get done by 8 every night and I get to work about 5 minutes before clocking in. I take care of my stops. If they want to work me till 11 p.m. I'm game. As long as they pick up my pick up volume. I try to take one day off a week and Saturday and Sunday.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Precisely.

My first shop steward many years ago took me aside after I made book and told me "never, ever get flustered here. These are packages, they're inanimate objects. Do not let them dominate your thinking or your mental health."

I agree that its not always easy though.
The packages arent the problem. No package ever stressed me out. I never had to drag one into a hearing because it cussed at me and threatened to "kick my ass" in the office.
The problem is having to work for abusive liars.

542thruNthru

How many of you want to get out as soon as you hit your 30 years?

17 years now and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, Unfortunately I’m in the sewers And it’s coming from a man hole cover.

From your fellow coworkers grim faces every morning to the managements fake Crocodile smiles it takes a toll on you.

I’m praying for a 22.3 job. Being a driver in Los Angeles is whole deferent battle I won’t get into.

20200216105810.jpg

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
My kids are fed, dressed in nice clothes, and spoiled. My wife also, thanks to UPS. That’s all I need to put up with the BS.

Dumbperson

How many of you want to get out as soon as you hit your 30 years?

17 years now and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, Unfortunately I’m in the sewers And it’s coming from a man hole cover.

From your fellow coworkers grim faces every morning to the managements fake Crocodile smiles it takes a toll on you.

I’m praying for a 22.3 job. Being a driver in Los Angeles is whole deferent battle I won’t get into.
My problems are way better than they used to be, idk what's depressing about planning my future