Have you been persecuted or treated unfairly by the Brown Cafe?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I participate in alot of forums and feel the moderation on here is a good middleground

Under moderate and you get 4chan type insanity-- those of you that dont know be glad imagine the worst you can and multiply by ten

Over moderation is just as bad- i left a "fanboy" site of a manufacturer because they deleted any remotely negative post about their products leaving everthing 100% one sided.

Bc handles moderation well such that each issue is generally adressed from labor and managment angles and mostly useful information is presented.

My only complaint is alot of clubhouse tyoe post and back and forth clutter the main boards. Out of 100pages about 50-70% are off topic, irrelevant, or often simply perdonal anecdotes that hae little bearing. However sites that cut down on these types of posting tend to die off because people like to post whether thry have anything to say or not. Some of thr 10000 post users probably have 3000 or less useful posts...
4chan, also known as "the internet hate machine" :happy-very:.

over9five

Staff member
I would like to thank those of you who are supporting the way Brown Cafe is run.

To the rest of you, I want you to take a month away from Brown Cafe and go over to Teamsternet. There is NO moderation over there. You can say whatever you want, swear all you want, and flame anyone you want. If you like it, great. Don't come back.

But if you want a really great site where you don't have to read swears as every third word in every post, where people can genuinely have some respect for each other, where there are few whiny boring flame wars, you already know where it is...

Support your site, and support the people who make this site available to you.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Geesh, you have the most gracious host and hostess you will ever find, and yet some out there whine.
You can write to either and you will get a reply, personally.
She asked a few people to help and keep the trash out. We agree, on some posts disagree on others, try to keep you all happy, safe, and included. Just like sibling rivalry I say.
I get offended by very little. I have never asked to have a post removed, or removed one that said something I didnt like, or Most of the current event boards would be blank.
Cheryl wants it family friendly, what part dont you get?
And like Jones said if you want trash go to another site.
If someone submits something I think is piddly, I ignore it. Happens alot. Someone else may delete it. And sometimes I could be reversed. No big deal.
This should add to your quality of life, it shouldnt be your life. Do you call a cop every time you are offended?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I would like to thank those of you who are supporting the way Brown Cafe is run.

To the rest of you, I want you to take a month away from Brown Cafe and go over to Teamsternet. There is NO moderation over there. You can say whatever you want, swear all you want, and flame anyone you want. If you like it, great. Don't come back.

But if you want a really great site where you don't have to read swears as every third word in every post, where people can genuinely have some respect for each other, where there are few whiny boring flame wars, you already know where it is...

Support your site, and support the people who make this site available to you.
example: There are many conversations HERE that have borderline perverted and twisted attempts at humor that personally I would not want children reading through, yet those posts are not moderated and infact promoted. The problem with the whole moderating thing is the picking and choosing that goes along with it depending on who says it . In reality, 99% of posts that DO violate TOS fly under the radar while the 1% that are reported are generally , at best, personal squabbles that walked the fine line.

Johney

Perhaps the purpose of this thread isn't clear. When I wrote the first post I was kind of frustrated with one particular member for posting in multiple threads about how he has been treated unfairly because we are biased against his point of view. I guess I didn't think it through enough before writing it.

I'm not looking for stories about individual moderators. I think that the mods do a great job, they have my full support.

On the other hand I think that there are a couple of members that like to see how far they can push the moderators... but we don't need to point fingers at those members right now. What I'm trying to find out is if there is an overall impression that our forum is biased one way or another because of the way that it's moderated. In other words do some of you believe that we have some kind of secret agenda?
Sorry that was my fault. I don't see too many problems,but I will say I don't read everything so I could miss a lot.I just had a little problem with changing a quote on a member as a joke,he let me know by PM and it was handled by 9/5(I think). Very professionally.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Sorry that was my fault. I don't see too many problems,but I will say I don't read everything so I could miss a lot.I just had a little problem with changing a quote on a member as a joke,he let me know by PM and it was handled by 9/5(I think). Very professionally.
Thank you, appreciate that you took the time to share this.

It is just my opinion that if UPS as a company is not family-orientated and "normal" socially, there is no reason to try to make this forum anything different. There is way too much effort to keep this a family friendly site when the exact thing we all have in common lacks that very thing.

example: There are many conversations HERE that have borderline perverted and twisted attempts at humor that personally I would not want children reading through, yet those posts are not moderated and infact promoted. The problem with the whole moderating thing is the picking and choosing that goes along with it depending on who says it . In reality, 99% of posts that DO violate TOS fly under the radar while the 1% that are reported are generally , at best, personal squabbles that walked the fine line.

This forum gets a lot of posts every day, there's no way that we could ever read them all. I guess ultimately that is my fault for spending my time posting stuff like this:

just kidding :)

rod

Retired 22 years
Thank you, appreciate that you took the time to share this.

This forum gets a lot of posts every day, there's no way that we could ever read them all. I guess ultimately that is my fault for spending my time posting stuff like this:

just kidding :)

finally---- a post I can relate to.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Oh...It's back. Who closed it? Come on; let's be honest here...

I guess I need to Post something better than this. BRB

How's this??

tieguy

Banned
the struggle to moderate this site can lead to the issues you now have.
I'm surprised to see people say if you dont like it go somewhere else but yet when they are told the same at ups they get upset.
this site is a community and there will be some infighting at times no matter how strong the family is.

The site is well run and well designed.

No one wants to offend you so this type of thread will get cheerleading type responses.

your moderators overall do a great job with the exception of one who throws himself in the middle of too many issues and often replies with sarcasm when its inappropriate.

In my opinion the moderation of socks is an issue. you have people like "eat my overallowed" who are not only offensive with every post but also in his name. Eat me is an offensive term. If you will let him keep that name then it should be a wild west site. If you're going to moderate a socks then you have to moderate the eat me's on this site in fairness to socks. We have had so many union idiots here spreading some pretty vile and offensive attacks on management here that never got moderated. Socks did. I did. for a lot less.

you and your moderators have asked us the members here to report inappropriate posts since you can't be expected to see everything. I will do so from time to time and recieved a sarcastic mocking response from one of your moderators for doing so. I almost never get a response on any pm's or reports anymore. I guess my response to your request now has me viewed as a complainer by at least one moderator.

So in fairness I think your folks moderate more then they ever have and it has not been consistent. I think you're old style of moderation where you would let people go at it and then step in and call a cooling off period when things got too out of control worked better then this more active style of management.

Klein is another whole issue. I have to read his comments on masturbating priests here and put up with that but when I tell him his actions in cuba could have gotten him locked up as a pervert I get warned.
In my opinion Klein is single handidly ruining this site. He briefly worked for us and got fired. He now lives off unemployment money and spreads his disrespect for our company and our country and lately his perception on what he believed was my religious preference. Everything he does is ok here while I get warned for hurting his feelings. He shouldnt open his mouth if he cant afford to lose his teeth.

You asked for some feedback. I have given it with the hope I do not offend you.

I am a big fan of yours and your hard work here.