Have you driven for FedEx Freight?

brownrecluse

Greetings,

I had an interview today with FedEx Freight for a position as a City Driver. The interview went very well (I think) and both the Service Center Manager and the Operations Supervisor want to move forward... as do I... so the background checks, MVR, etc. have begun.

I don't know much about FedEx Freight, but on the surface the Center Manager, and Ops Supervisor both seem like nice, respectful human beings, the job sounds interesting, and the benefits and starting salary are acceptable, if not pretty darn good.

Is there anything anyone can share with me pro or con about FedEx Freight?

Thanks!

wrenny

No, I have not driven for FED EX, but I have worked at both UPS and FED EX since 1990-in management. They are all IC's - owner operators. There's a big difference. The managers are nicer than Express, but you get ALL of the headaches of owning a vehicle. I've been a Manager and I really felt for some of these guys. A few I have known had to file for bankruptcy. Make sure you incorporate as a business so you do not lose your house. In being an Independent Contractor you get a Settlement and must account for your taxes, vehicle maintenance receipts, etc. At Fed Ex Ground some of the managers help you out with telling you all of the records that must be up to date, etc.
But being an IC can be a real headache if you are not use to it. You can easily do a 12 hour day, and work on Saturday. Key words are - YOU HAVE TO SERVICE ALL PACKAGES IN YOUR AREA!! Even if you break down or have an accident.
Take Fed Ex Ground for instance - package delivery. You could easily drive 12 miles and only make $1.50 on the package. (You may have a lot of chaser packages that are in the middle of nowhere that you spend $10.00 in gas and only make $1.50 on. One account that comes to mind is a Corporate Express package). You could get a $60,000.00 route that has 55 stops, but an 11 hour day. But you have to figure, that with taxes, expenses, etc., you may only be taking in $20,000.00 after everything is said and done. You have new truck payments, insurance, maintenance on the truck, new brakes in a year's time, oil changes, tires, etc. And when you break down -depending on the goodness of your manager - you have to call your own tow truck, pick up your own rental and then still go out and deliver your route and get it done and PAY FOR THE RENTAL!! I can go on and on... get EVERYTHING in writing -which they will refuse to do until the day you are to start; after you already quit your job.
If you don't like things, remember that you will be stuck with a truck payment, insurance on a truck and a $3,000.00 fee if you do not give them 30 day's notice before you quit. If you can somehow get 60 days off from UPS, you might want to try it out first. Once you start spending $700.00 a week in gas, you might change your mind. Ask if you will be getting paid every two weeks or once a month.
The managers are much nicer than UPS by far, but you take ALL of the risk. Let me know if this helps. I know a lot more. I was a Building manager. I always told anyone I hired the worst -I never told them Rosy pictures. I never had a problem with anyone I hired - I always told the truth, and even worse case scenarios.
If you are an excellent business man, you can do alright. If you have a wife that can do your books, even better. You will be dead tired with work, and keeping your vehicle in shape - even brand new ones are lemons.
NOW IMAGINE FREIGHT - LINEHAUL. Do you know the maintenance costs on that puppy? When you break down, you still have to get a rental and deliver that load. And the rental comes out of your pocket. The company does not pay for ANY of your operating costs. You are an independent Contractor. You pay for your own health insurance. (Better have a 24 hour AIM Rental phone number). Line-haul can be a NASTY animal. I had one guy who had to sleep in the parking lot - in his truck to make ends meet for a while. You have got to be a good business man. It also helps if you are a mechanic, or have a relative who is one. DO NOT LEAVE UPS LINEHAUL FOR FED EX FREIGHT!! If you are in a package car, and want to get into line-haul... ask A LOT MORE QUESTIONS!!!
Look at your contract CAREFULLY!! Take it home. And believe me, they WILL cut your settlement. They may swear up and down you will get $120,000.00 etc. But ALL settlements get cut - I know, because it's part of the job.
Ask me anything you need to...I'm here

DeputyDip

Backwoods Hillbilly
No, I have not driven for FED EX, but I have worked at both UPS and FED EX since 1990-in management. They are all IC's - owner operators. There's a big difference. The managers are nicer than Express, but you get ALL of the headaches of owning a vehicle. I've been a Manager and I really felt for some of these guys. A few I have known had to file for bankruptcy. DO NOT LEAVE UPS LINEHAUL FOR FED EX FREIGHT!! If you are in a package car, and want to get into line-haul... ask A LOT MORE QUESTIONS!!!
Look at your contract CAREFULLY!! Ask me anything you need to...I'm here

I think he was asking about FedEx Freight LTL....Not FedEx Ground. You know, FedEx Freight LTL (East) formerly know as American Freightways and FedEx Freight LTL (West) formerly known as Viking Freight.

wrenny

Sorry, I forgot to add the Fed Ex Ground part. I was refferring to Fed Ex Express, Fed Ex Ground, and Fed Ex Freight, all at once. All of the Fed Ex's are IC's, except for Fed Ex Express. Fed Ex Home Delivery also has IC's.
The only ones that do not run IC's are Fed Ex Express. Sorry if my short hand confused anyone. I sometimes use the short hand - falsely assuming people already know the Employee and IC divisions.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I used to have a Preloader whose father drives for Fedex Freight. He is the senior driver at his building and gets enough overtime to gross $100K a year. Does that figure sound familiar? And they are not union.

brownrecluse

I used to have a Preloader whose father drives for Fedex Freight. He is the senior driver at his building and gets enough overtime to gross $100K a year. Does that figure sound familiar? And they are not union.
I definitely like the sound of that! I interviewed over the phone and then face to face last week - and they called me in for a road test. I took my road test today, and passed w/flying colors... so I should know something by mid next week.

I drove a package car this past peak season, and loved it and UPS... and did quite well according to my sup... but at 40 something, I don't have years to work PT to get a full time gig.

brownrecluse

Sorry, I forgot to add the Fed Ex Ground part. I was refferring to Fed Ex Express, Fed Ex Ground, and Fed Ex Freight, all at once. All of the Fed Ex's are IC's, except for Fed Ex Express. Fed Ex Home Delivery also has IC's.
The only ones that do not run IC's are Fed Ex Express. Sorry if my short hand confused anyone. I sometimes use the short hand - falsely assuming people already know the Employee and IC divisions.
I appreciate your informative post. However, I was referring to FedEx Freight East... Formerly AF. FedEx Freight drivers are full blown employees these days, but you're right... Ground & Home Delivery, Custom Critical, etc... all IC's. I most definitely would not go that route. Thanks again! :happy2:

imfrankiez

Greetings,

I had an interview today with FedEx Freight for a position as a City Driver. The interview went very well (I think) and both the Service Center Manager and the Operations Supervisor want to move forward... as do I... so the background checks, MVR, etc. have begun.

I don't know much about FedEx Freight, but on the surface the Center Manager, and Ops Supervisor both seem like nice, respectful human beings, the job sounds interesting, and the benefits and starting salary are acceptable, if not pretty darn good.

Is there anything anyone can share with me pro or con about FedEx Freight?

Thanks!
I'm a linedriver out of Fontana,Ca..We are going through drastic changes in our operations.
as far as P&D goes don't have much info.However,dock people are now required to have a CDL.we think that its so the can pull you off the street after so many hours (5) send you home and pull a person off the dock to go out and P&D.
Without a CDL your status on the dock is part time with no benefits.
I've been pro company for 22 years with a no union representation required frame of mind.Since July I've become an organizer.Nuff said.

Frankiez
[email protected]

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm a linedriver out of Fontana,Ca..We are going through drastic changes in our operations.
as far as P&D goes don't have much info.However,dock people are now required to have a CDL.we think that its so the can pull you off the street after so many hours (5) send you home and pull a person off the dock to go out and P&D.
Without a CDL your status on the dock is part time with no benefits.
I've been pro company for 22 years with a no union representation required frame of mind.Since July I've become an organizer.Nuff said.

Frankiez
[email protected]

Good luck with the organizing. The FedExaminer.com site is an excellent source for union info and they also have a dedicated FedEx Freight section. It's run by the Teamsters, but they don't edit the site excessively. You can say whatever you want to and get feedback from other Freight people as well.

I'm on the West Coast, so most of the FedEx Freight drivers I talk with out here are ex-Viking, and they're really getting tired of the BS. FedEx is basically trying to apply the FedEx Express management model to all of it's operating divisions. The one thing that has prevented us organizing at Express is our classification under the RLA....as far as I know, Freight is under the NLRA, so it would be much easier for you to go Teamster.

I'm no huge union fan, but it's the only way to keep management from totally taking advantage of the situation. Requiring the dock people to get their CDLA's or else sounds like a typical FedEx tactic. They might be doing it because they're short of Class A drivers, or as you suggested, it would be an easy way for them to slash hours.