Have you heard of the Orion System, what do you know?

barnyard

KTM rider
We had a supe that was very computer literate. He was transferred to another center and his replacement can use email and that is about it. We have not had any trace fixes/repairs in over a year and doubt that we will have any maybe ever again.

I usually look to see whether I am +/- for the day before, but never look at what my trace was. Friday, I delivered portions of 6 sections and had 47 stops off before I finished 1 complete section. EDD/PAS has certainly delivered some of the benefits that were promised, but not even close to all of them.

barnyard

KTM rider
All these systems work perfectly in Clarksville.

Really?????

One of the things UPS told investors was that the system would 'learn' addresses and would not allow a bad address out for delivery. On Thursday, I had 4 pieces for 920 4th St SE. The labels did not have the "SE". 2 were SPAd to NE and 2 to SE, even though they all came from the same shipper. Plus, there is no 920 4th St NE. Why didn't the system pick that up????

On Wednesday, I had packages for a bulk stop loaded for 3 different addresses: 815 2nd Av SE (the correct address); 815 2nd St SE and 815 2nd Av NE. The last 2 are NSN and the system should know that by now.

Tuesday, I had a package addressed to 1305 135th St NE; EDD came pretty close SPAing the package to 13055 135th St NE (the real address was 13050); my point is, the system was guessing, why didn't that package get sorted to the clerk???? The only reason that I was able to deliver to the correct address was the people had their name on the mailbox. No name on the mailbox and I would have brought that back: NSN.

Pretty much every day, I have NDA savers in section 1. They are resis that will be delivered after business commits. Why hasn't the system figured out that the address is a resi and load it in sequential order with the other resis???? Investors were told that the system would learn that and know it.

To me, that is a system that is not working "perfectly."

S

serenity now

i have one address that routinely flips the PAL from 2730 street name to 1862 US Highway XXX

go figure

Really?????

One of the things UPS told investors was that the system would 'learn' addresses and would not allow a bad address out for delivery. On Thursday, I had 4 pieces for 920 4th St SE. The labels did not have the "SE". 2 were SPAd to NE and 2 to SE, even though they all came from the same shipper. Plus, there is no 920 4th St NE. Why didn't the system pick that up????

On Wednesday, I had packages for a bulk stop loaded for 3 different addresses: 815 2nd Av SE (the correct address); 815 2nd St SE and 815 2nd Av NE. The last 2 are NSN and the system should know that by now.

Tuesday, I had a package addressed to 1305 135th St NE; EDD came pretty close SPAing the package to 13055 135th St NE (the real address was 13050); my point is, the system was guessing, why didn't that package get sorted to the clerk???? The only reason that I was able to deliver to the correct address was the people had their name on the mailbox. No name on the mailbox and I would have brought that back: NSN.

Pretty much every day, I have NDA savers in section 1. They are resis that will be delivered after business commits. Why hasn't the system figured out that the address is a resi and load it in sequential order with the other resis???? Investors were told that the system would learn that and know it.

To me, that is a system that is not working "perfectly."
Everyday i get atleast 5 or 6 with bad PAL labels and it seems to be getting worse not better! Oh well another missed package!!

Last edited:

barnyard

KTM rider
Everyday i get atleast 5 or 6 with bad PAL labels and it seems to be getting worse not better! Oh well another missed package!!

That is what I am seeing. It seems to be getting worse, with far fewer labels going to the clerk. Instead, we get a bad guess from the computer. I do not get how a 4 package shipment can be split to 2 addresses. The labels were identical.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
And my point.....

If ORION comes up with a better way, do it.

If you can beat ORION do it.

That is my definition of managing your route.

I'm glad you feel that way. Can we get that in writing, from Corporate? Because something tells me that our "reward" for beating ORION will be to have to listen to some sup bitch and whine the next morning about how we didnt hit 85% on the report.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I'm glad you feel that way. Can we get that in writing, from Corporate? Because something tells me that our "reward" for beating ORION will be to have to listen to some sup bitch and whine the next morning about how we didnt hit 85% on the report.
Life has gotten so much easier since i no longer try to 'beat' EDD or think for myself. They want 85 % in trace,well that's NO problem! i try to get as close to 100% as I can.They paid these engineers and IE folks a lot of coin to develop these programs,and no way is this truck driving flunkie going to question them. I had the same mentality as you and some of the older drivers here in that i was going to run the route using area knowledge to be efficent..................that is no longer wanted. Looking good on reports is top priority now and i'm quite happy to help my management team look great on these reports,and it has resulted in my paycheck gaining weight as well

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
They are implementing ORION in my building as we type...first center should be done by June and all others by October...so awesome we'll be working out bugs and kinks just before peak...so excited...

AKCoverMan

When does ORION "optimize" your route? Does it do it based on forecasted stops prior to preload or does it happen after preload is complete?

If it does this at night based on forecast prior to loading any packages why not have it assign the HIN numbers in the new order based on the optimized route plan for that day. That would solve the whole having to deliver off shelf 7 during the first hour of the day problem.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When does ORION "optimize" your route? Does it do it based on forecasted stops prior to preload or does it happen after preload is complete?

If it does this at night based on forecast prior to loading any packages why not have it assign the HIN numbers in the new order based on the optimized route plan for that day. That would solve the whole having to deliver off shelf 7 during the first hour of the day problem.

From what I have read on here ORION optimizes your route during the day based on what you have delivered and what you have left in EDD and has no impact on the way PAS/EDD sets up the load.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Will ORION know the location of the few public restrooms that are available in my 400 square mile delivery area? Will ORION know if and when I will have to break trace in order to sit and make a poopy? Like it or not, when a driver runs 140+ miles a day in a rural area, it can be an issue and it can greatly affect the manner in which the route is run.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Will ORION know the location of the few public restrooms that are available in my 400 square mile delivery area? Will ORION know if and when I will have to break trace in order to sit and make a poopy? Like it or not, when a driver runs 140+ miles a day in a rural area, it can be an issue and it can greatly affect the manner in which the route is run.

I ran 260 miles today. You take advantage of a restroom when you see one.

Omega man

”Orion” is a prominent constellation in the sky and is sometimes referred to as “The Hunter”.
UPS named the system appropriately.
When it’s implemented you will be hunting for packages all day long.

S

serenity now

late air friday * usually they will update EDD prior to bringing the pkgs. * not this time, they brought the pkgs. and it looked like we would need to work them old school * so i lined them up on the 2000 shelf * hour or so later our manifest updates with pkgs. that have already been delivered, so now i have to show them as not found to clear the screen, which i will hear about monday morning because i didn't call in each not found * why isn't this system smart enough to accept the update, recognize the pkg. has been delivered, and kick it out of EDD

Last edited by a moderator: