Hazmat training no hotel

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Not looking forward to driving 2 hours, 9 hour class, driving home two hours. And doing it all over again for four days. And yes I know drivers do this day in and day out. But I’m not a driver. Just clerk and sort. I guess ups can’t afford the 400 dollars in hotel rooms.

$400 lol

He was gonna put you up at the
Notel Motel $39.95

OKLABob

Yes , about 14 an hour for the 9 hour class. And they will probably reimburse for gas. Honestly not worth my time, I’m more upset that I was really pressured into going, and was told by the manager that I’ll be in a hotel.
I highly doubt they will reimburse you for fuel buddy. If it’s volunteer work you are going to be paying the expenses.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I have hazmat training tomorrow and have to drive 2 hours both ways after a 9 hour class. I’m a center clerk and this course is voluntary. It’s a 4 day course . The building manager said a week ago that I would have a hotel room for those 4 days. Now he says I have to drive there and back everyday. That’s 13 hours to leave and get home, if I don’t stop for food or bathroom. I know many drivers have 13 hour days, but im Not a driver. Is there some sort of rule as to when they have to provide a hotel? It would only cost ups around 400 bucks. Would cost me at least that in gas, not to mention wear and tear on my 200,000 plus mile engine in my car.
Try $175 total for 4 nights at the roach motel.
You really think they would give deluxe accomodations to you?
In the contract "when using personal vehicle in service of the employer, the employee will be compensated at the irs mileage rate"
Not sure if it would apply in this case.....
I like this idea ... turn it into a mini-vacation.
You can also network with others in the class and the instructors after hours.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Not looking forward to driving 2 hours, 9 hour class, driving home two hours. And doing it all over again for four days. And yes I know drivers do this day in and day out. But I’m not a driver. Just clerk and sort. I guess ups can’t afford the 400 dollars in hotel rooms.
The vast majority of drivers don’t spend four hours a day in their personal vehicle.

Screw ‘em. Don’t go.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Hazmat training was at our building. If it wasn't at our building I would have never agreed to take the course.

It is volunteer. You are more than able to take yourself off the list. Once you become a dmp you can no longer un-volunteer for the job.

You can resign from an extra assignment position like HAZMAT responder. The conditions may vary from local to local. For example, here once you go through the training, you have to stick with it for a month, then you have to resign, in writing, with another 6 weeks' notice before you are off the hook. No extra pay for a hazardous position is unacceptable, no one should ever take it.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I would’ve been perfectly happy to go if I had a room like he promised. So I think I will in volunteer. The other problem I have, I know the manager will gun for me now. And will hold this over my head until he retires. So I’m friend’ed either way.

File a harassment grievance if you feel harassed.

PT Car Washer

You can resign from an extra assignment position like HAZMAT responder. The conditions may vary from local to local. For example, here once you go through the training, you have to stick with it for a month, then you have to resign, in writing, with another 6 weeks' notice before you are off the hook. No extra pay for a hazardous position is unacceptable, no one should ever take it.
Lately my building has tied hazmat responder to a lot of 22.3 jobs. The bid sheet will say "Must be hazard responder or able to be."

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

The Employer agrees to:

"1. Provide twelve (12) hours of training, and the proper equipment, to those employees involved in the clean-up of hazardous material spills. All designated responders, when positions become open, willbe selected in seniority order. The Employer will allow first responders to resign their position with written notice given at least ninety (90) days
prior to their annual certification. The resignation will become effective upon the identification and completion of training of a replacement. The training of the identified replacement shall not exceed ninety (90) days. The Employer may disqualify such employees from holding the position of designated responder for a period of one (1) year."

https://teamster.org/sites/default/files/ups18nationalmaster.pdf

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I have hazmat training tomorrow and have to drive 2 hours both ways after a 9 hour class. I’m a center clerk and this course is voluntary. It’s a 4 day course . The building manager said a week ago that I would have a hotel room for those 4 days. Now he says I have to drive there and back everyday. That’s 13 hours to leave and get home, if I don’t stop for food or bathroom. I know many drivers have 13 hour days, but im Not a driver. Is there some sort of rule as to when they have to provide a hotel? It would only cost ups around 400 bucks. Would cost me at least that in gas, not to mention wear and tear on my 200,000 plus mile engine in my car.
Assuming a 2 hour commute is roughly 120-150 miles they should absolutely put you up in a hotel. Usually it's Holiday Inn Express or similar.
You would be entitled to the IRS rate (58 cents/mile) for the mileage above your daily commute, so for example if you commute a to/from total of 20 miles and class is 120 miles away you would be reimbursed for 100 miles or $58 each way. Fuel is part of this reimbursement as well as wear and tear, also if you have a breakdown or accident it's on you except for liability over the State minimum.
In addition you are entitled to up to $50 per day in reasonable food expenses, so $200, as well as reimbursement for reasonable cash tips and tolls.
We routinely put drivers in Feeder training from extended centers up in a hotel for training in Phoenix. This is determined by where they are domiciled (work) not where they reside, so it's possible you could live 100 miles from your building and would be SOL for a commute to a class 50 miles away from said building.

If the reimbursement rate exceeds what a rental car + estimated fuel would be they should pay to rent you a car plus reimburse the actual fuel costs.

Receipts are required. Expenses must occur away from your domicile, preferably in the city where the class is.

Have your Steward or B.A. help negotiate this before you agree to go. If you need a copy of the UPS Expense Guidelines have them file an information request or have your B.A. contact Local 104's Feeder B.A. and I can provide one.

The UPS Policybook says:

"No one should gain or lose because of money spent for company purposes. We expect our people to submit a full and accurate itemized accounting of these expenditures in accordance with approved expense account guidelines.
We must use sound judgment in the completion and approval of expense accounts.
Questions concerning expenses should be resolved in advance with one's manager.
Approval of the expenses of those that report to us requires equally careful consideration."

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The Employer agrees to:

"1. Provide twelve (12) hours of training, and the proper equipment, to those employees involved in the clean-up of hazardous material spills. All designated responders, when positions become open, willbe selected in seniority order. The Employer will allow first responders to resign their position with written notice given at least ninety (90) days
prior to their annual certification. The resignation will become effective upon the identification and completion of training of a replacement. The training of the identified replacement shall not exceed ninety (90) days. The Employer may disqualify such employees from holding the position of designated responder for a period of one (1) year."

https://teamster.org/sites/default/files/ups18nationalmaster.pdf

I was going off of what my BA had told me when I had to deal with it. The process worked as he told me it would. Just wanted people to be aware that they are not stuck in the position.