Hazmat training no hotel

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Double0, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Old Man Jingles

Old Man Jingles Rat out of a cage

I didn't know some ignorant CaliTurd was going to try and dig deeper beyond the specific incident being discussed! :lol:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  2. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

I see your time in current events has made you dimwitted and slow.

3. Old Man Jingles

It does seem to have that affect! :1eye::winkiss:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. burrheadd

burrheadd KING Of GIFS

$400 lol

He was gonna put you up at the
    Notel Motel $39.95

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. OKLABob

OKLABob Member

I highly doubt they will reimburse you for fuel buddy. If it’s volunteer work you are going to be paying the expenses.

6. Old Man Jingles

I like this idea ... turn it into a mini-vacation.
    You can also network with others in the class and the instructors after hours.

7. Poop Head

Poop Head Troll

Op's next thread.

"Ups paid for my hotel"
    "I got hazmat certified. And bed bugs."
    "Can I file a grievance?"

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. DumbTruckDriver

DumbTruckDriver Allergic to cardboard.

The vast majority of drivers don’t spend four hours a day in their personal vehicle.

Screw ‘em. Don’t go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. OrioN

OrioN double tap o da horn dooshbag

10. Elmo.goes.to.prom

Elmo.goes.to.prom Active Member

The class was at my building.

11. Elmo.goes.to.prom

Elmo.goes.to.prom Active Member

Yes. The responder course was in my building.

12. UnconTROLLed

UnconTROLLed perfection

It is not worth it. Reimbursed hotel/travel or not

13. zubenelgenubi

zubenelgenubi Well-Known Member

You can resign from an extra assignment position like HAZMAT responder. The conditions may vary from local to local. For example, here once you go through the training, you have to stick with it for a month, then you have to resign, in writing, with another 6 weeks' notice before you are off the hook. No extra pay for a hazardous position is unacceptable, no one should ever take it.

14. zubenelgenubi

File a harassment grievance if you feel harassed.

15. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Lately my building has tied hazmat responder to a lot of 22.3 jobs. The bid sheet will say "Must be hazard responder or able to be."

16. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

The Employer agrees to:

"1. Provide twelve (12) hours of training, and the proper equipment, to those employees involved in the clean-up of hazardous material spills. All designated responders, when positions become open, willbe selected in seniority order. The Employer will allow first responders to resign their position with written notice given at least ninety (90) days
    prior to their annual certification. The resignation will become effective upon the identification and completion of training of a replacement. The training of the identified replacement shall not exceed ninety (90) days. The Employer may disqualify such employees from holding the position of designated responder for a period of one (1) year."

https://teamster.org/sites/default/files/ups18nationalmaster.pdf

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. AwashBwashCwash

AwashBwashCwash Active Member

Why would you ever sign up for more responsibility at UPS?
    Just one more thing they can use to shoot you down.

18. 104Feeder

104Feeder Phoenix Feeder

Assuming a 2 hour commute is roughly 120-150 miles they should absolutely put you up in a hotel. Usually it's Holiday Inn Express or similar.
    You would be entitled to the IRS rate (58 cents/mile) for the mileage above your daily commute, so for example if you commute a to/from total of 20 miles and class is 120 miles away you would be reimbursed for 100 miles or $58 each way. Fuel is part of this reimbursement as well as wear and tear, also if you have a breakdown or accident it's on you except for liability over the State minimum.
    In addition you are entitled to up to $50 per day in reasonable food expenses, so $200, as well as reimbursement for reasonable cash tips and tolls.
    We routinely put drivers in Feeder training from extended centers up in a hotel for training in Phoenix. This is determined by where they are domiciled (work) not where they reside, so it's possible you could live 100 miles from your building and would be SOL for a commute to a class 50 miles away from said building.

If the reimbursement rate exceeds what a rental car + estimated fuel would be they should pay to rent you a car plus reimburse the actual fuel costs.

Receipts are required. Expenses must occur away from your domicile, preferably in the city where the class is.

Have your Steward or B.A. help negotiate this before you agree to go. If you need a copy of the UPS Expense Guidelines have them file an information request or have your B.A. contact Local 104's Feeder B.A. and I can provide one.

The UPS Policybook says:

"No one should gain or lose because of money spent for company purposes. We expect our people to submit a full and accurate itemized accounting of these expenditures in accordance with approved expense account guidelines.
    We must use sound judgment in the completion and approval of expense accounts.
    Questions concerning expenses should be resolved in advance with one's manager.
    Approval of the expenses of those that report to us requires equally careful consideration."

19. zubenelgenubi

I was going off of what my BA had told me when I had to deal with it. The process worked as he told me it would. Just wanted people to be aware that they are not stuck in the position.

20. Cactus

Cactus Just telling it like it is

So do I.

Presidential suite. But screw going to some boring hazmat class.