Heard Any Good Ones: Archive

R

retired

SIGNS YOU'RE GETTING OLDER

~ Everything hurts and what doesn't hurt doesn't work.
~ The gleam in your eyes is from the sun hitting your bi-focals.
~ You keep repeating yourself.
~ You feel like the morning after and you haven't been anywhere.
~ Your little black book contains only names that end in M.D.
~ Your children begin to look middle aged.
~ You finally reach the top of the ladder and find it leaning against the wrong wall.
~ Your mind makes contracts your body can't meet.
~ You look forward to a dull evening.
~ Your favorite part of the newspaper is "20 Years Ago Today."
~ You turn out the lights for economic rather than romantic reasons.
~ You sit in a rocking chair and can't get it going.
~ Your knees buckle, and your belt won't.
~ You're 17 around the neck, 42 around the waist, and 95 around the golf course.
~ Your back goes out more than you do.
~ You sink your teeth into a steak, and they stay there.
~ You have too much room in the house and not enough in the medicine cabinet.
~ You know all the answers, but nobody asks you the questions.
~ You're asleep, but others worry that you're dead.
~ You're proud of your lawn mower.
~ Your best friend is dating someone half their age...and isn't breaking any laws.
~ Your arms are almost too short to read the newspaper.
~ You would rather go to work than stay home sick.
~ You make an appointment to see the dentist.
~ People call at 9 pm and ask, "Did I wake you?"
~ You have a dream about prunes.
~ You answer a question with, "Because I said so."
~ You send money to PBS.
~ The end of your tie doesn't come anywhere near the top of your pants.
~ You take a metal detector to the beach.
~ You wear black socks with sandals.
~ You can't remember the last time you laid on the floor to watch TV.
~ Your ears and nose are hairier than your head.
~ You got cable for the Weather Channel (sometimes referred to as "Old Folks MTV").
~ If a young girl looks at you, you check to make sure you remembered to put on your pants.
~ You discover bifocals are stylish.
~ When you do the "Hokey Pokey" you put your left hip out...and it stays out.
~ Most women you know under 40 put you in the "Friend of my Father" class.
~ Relatives smile benignly rather than interrupt you as you retell the same story for the zillionth time.
~ You run out of breath walking DOWN a flight of stairs.
~ Conversations with people your own age often turn into "dueling ailments."
~ People don't harass you any more when you take an afternoon nap.
~ Your social security number only has three digits.
~ In a hostage situation you are likely to be released first.
~ Kidnappers are not very interested in you.
~ No one expects you to run into a burning building.
~ Restaurants stop asking to see your senior discount card.
~ People no longer view you as a hypochondriac.
~ There's nothing left to learn the hard way.
~ Things you buy now won't wear out.
~ You buy a compass for the dash of your car.
~ You can eat dinner at 4:00.
~ You consider coffee one of the most important things in life.
~ You constantly talk about the price of gasoline.
~ You're actually interested in hearing about other people's operations.
~ You get into a heated argument about pension plans and social security.
~ You have a party and the neighbors don't even realize it.
~ You no longer think of speed limits as a challenge.
~ You quit trying to hold your stomach in, no matter who walks into the room.
~ You sing along with the elevator music.
~ You talk about "good grass" and you're referring to someone's lawn.
~ Your eyes won't get much worse.
~ Your investment in health insurance is finally beginning to pay off.
~ Your joints are more accurate than the National Weather Service.
~ Your secrets are safe with your friends because they can't remember them either.
~ Your supply of brain cells is finally down to a manageable size.
~ People begin sending you lists like this and you say, "Man, it is so funny," but can't remember even one line to recite.

M

moreluck

Quickies....

Just think, in a few million years Barney will be motor oil.

What's the difference between the Pope & your boss? The Pope only expects you to kiss his ring.

Never trust a stock broker who's married to a travel agent.

It used to be that only death & taxes were inevitable. Now, of course, there's shipping and handling.

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.

The only thing wrong with the perfect drive to work is that you end up at work.

Define transvestite: A guy who likes to eat, drink and BE Mary.

What's the definition of a teenager? God's punishment for enjoying sex.

America is getting stronger. 20 yrs. ago it took 2 people to carry $10 worth of groceries. Today a 5 yr. old can do it.

M

moreluck

A woman broke up with me and sent me pictures of her and her new boyfriend in bed together. Solution?? I sent the pictures to her dad.

If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either. (<FONT COLOR="ff0000">••••</FONT> Cavett)

A lady came up to me on the street and pointed at my suede jacket. "You know a cow was murdered for that jacket?" she sneered. I replied in a psychotic tone, "I didn't know there were any witnesses. Now I'll have to kill you too."
(Jake Johansen)

In elementary school, in case of fire you have to line up quietly in a single file line from smallest to tallest. What is the logic? Do tall people burn slower? (Warren Hutcherson)

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your 3 best friends. If they are OK, then it's you. (Rita Mae Brown)

I ask people why they have deer heads on their walls. They always say because it's such a beautiful animal. There you go. I think my mom is attractive, but I have photos of her. (Ellen DeGeneres)

M

moreluck

USELESS FACTS....

California consumes more bottled water than any other product.

California has issued 6 driver's licenses to people named Jesus Christ.

In 1980, a Las Vegas hospital suspended workers for betting on when patients would die.

Nevada is the driest state in the U.S. Each year it averages 7.5 inches of rain.

In Utah, it is illegal to swear in front of a dead person.

H

hr

Business 'dead horse' solutions
Dakota tribal wisdom says that when you discover you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount. However, in business we often try other strategies with dead horses, including the following:

1. Buying a stronger whip.

2. Changing riders.

3. Say things like, "This is the way we have always ridden this horse."

4. Appointing a committee to study the horse.

5. Arranging to visit other sites to see how they ride dead horses.

6. Increasing the standards to ride dead horses.

7. Appointing a tiger team to revive the dead horse.

8. Creating a training session to increase our riding ability.

9. Comparing the state of dead horses in today's environment.

10. Change the requirements declaring that "This horse is not dead."

11. Hire contractors to ride the dead horse.

12. Harnessing several dead horses together for increased speed.

13. Declaring that "No horse is too dead to beat."

14. Providing additional funding to increase the horse's performance.

15. Do a Cost Analysis study to see if contractors can ride it cheaper.

16. Purchase a product to make dead horses run faster.

17. Declare the horse is "better, faster and cheaper" dead.

18. Form a quality circle to find uses for dead horses.

19. Revisit the performance requirements for horses.

20. Say this horse was procured with cost as an independent variable.

21. Promote the dead horse to a supervisory position.

M

moreluck

***** THE DASH *****

I read of a man who stood to speak
at the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on her tombstone
from the beginning...to the end.

He noted that first came the date of her birth
and spoke of the following date with tears,
but he said that what mattered most of all
was the dash between those years.

For that dash represents all the time
that she spent alive on earth.
And now only those who loved her
know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not how much we own:
the cars...the house...the cash.
What matters is how we live and love
and how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard...
Are there things you'd like to change?
For you never know how much time is left.
You could be at mid-dash range.

Are there people that you've left behind?
Things you've left unsaid?
Words you need to think again?
Fences you need to mend?

If we could just slow down enough
to consider what's true and real
and always try to understand
the way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger,
and show appreciation more
and love the people in our lives
like we've never loved before.

Can we treat each other with respect,
and more often wear a smile.....
Remembering that this special dash
will only last awhile.

So, when your eulogy's being read
and you life is being rehashed,
Would you be proud of what they say
about how you spent your dash?

M

moreluck

WHAT WILL YOU DO TODAY ?

I woke up early today, excited over all I get to do before the clock strikes midnight. I have responsibilities to fulfill today. I am important.

My job is to choose what kind of day I am going to have.

Today I can complain because the weather is rainy, or I can be thankful that the grass is getting watered for free.

Today I can feel sad that I don't have more money, or I can be glad that my finances encourage me to plan my purchases wisely and guide me away from waste.

Today I can grumble about my health, or I can rejoice that I am alive.

Today I can lament over all that my parents didn't give me when I was growing up, or I can feel grateful that they allowed me to be born.

Today I can cry because roses have thorns, or I can celebrate that thorns have roses.

Today I can mourn my lack of friends, or I can excitedly embark upon a quest to discover new relationships.

Today I can whine because I have to go to work, or I can shout for joy because I have a job that puts food on my table.

Today I can complain because I have to go to school, or eagerly open my mind and fill it with rich new tidbits of knowledge.

Today I can murmur dejectedly because I have to do housework, or I can feel honored because the Universe has provided shelter for my mind, body and soul.

Today stretches ahead of me, waiting to be shaped. And here I am, the sculptor who gets to do the shaping.

What today will be like is up to me. I get to choose what kind of day I will have!

What kind of day will you have??

M

moreluck

***** DAD *****

He opened the jar of pickles when no one else could. He was the only one in the house who wasn't afraid to go into the basement by himself. He cut himself shaving, but no one kissed it or got excited about it. It was understood that when it rained, he got the car and brought it around to the door. When anyone was sick, he went out to get the prescription filled. He tooks lots of pictures....but he was never in them.

Happy Father's Day, Dad!!

M

moreluck

Bats In Church.....

Three pastors in the south were having lunch in a diner. One said,"Ya know, since summer started I've been having trouble with bats in my loft and attic at church. I've tried everything....noise, spray, cats...nothing seems to scare them away."

Another said, "Yeah, me too. I've got hundreds living in my belfry and in the attic. I've even had the place fumigated, and they won't go away."

The third said, "I baptized all mine and made them members of the church......haven't seen one back since!"

M

moreluck

A man hasn't been feeling well, so he goes to his doctor for a complete check-up. Afterward the doctor comes out with the results.

"I'm afraid I have some very bad news," the doctor says. "You're very sick and you don't have much time left."

"Oh, that's terrible!" says the man. "How long have I got?"

"Ten," the doctor says sadly.

"Ten?" the man asks. "Ten what? Months? Weeks? What?!"

"Nine..."

R

retired1

Fierce Mosquitoes
Some young city boy scouts were on their first camping trip. The mosquitoes were so fierce, the boys had to hide under their blankets to avoid being bitten.

Then one of them saw some lightning bugs and said to his friend, "We might as well give up. They're coming after us now with flashlights."

M

moreluck

The Joys of Being Male.....

Your last name stays put.
The garage is all yours.
Chocolate is just another snack.
Car mechanics tell you the truth.
Wedding dress $2000...Tux rental $100.
Same work - More pay.
One mood, all the time.
You can be president.
Your rear is never a factor in a job interview.
Wedding plans take care of themselves.
Foreplay is optional.
Wrinkles add character.
If you retain water, it's in a canteen.
People never glance at your chest when you talk to them.

M

moreluck

A vacation is a succession of 2s. It consists of 2 weeks which are 2 short. Afterward, you are 2 tired 2 return 2 work and 2 broke not 2!

M

moreluck

If You Can.....

start your day without caffeine
always be cheerful
resist boring other people with your troubles
forgive a friend's lack of consideration
eat the same food everyday and be grateful for it
take criticism without resentment
resist treating a rich friend better than a poor friend
face the world without lies or deceit
relax without liquor
sleep without drugs
honestly say that deep in your heart you have no prejudice
understand when loved ones are too busy to give you any time
ignore a friend's limited education and never correct them

Then, my friend, you are almost as good as your dog.

M

moreluck

Last Rites....

The priest was preparing a man for his long day's journey into night. Whispering firmly, the priest said, "Denounce the Devil! Let him know how little you think of his evil!"

The dying man said nothing.

The priest repeated his order. Still the dying man said nothing.

The priest asked, "Why do you refuse to denounce the devil and his evil?"

The dying man said, "Until I know where I'm heading, I don't think I ought to aggravate anybody!"

M

moreluck

THE TAN.....

A rather well-proportioned secretary, Joan, spent almost all of her vacation sunbathing on the roof of her hotel. She wore a bathing suit the first day but, on the second, she decided that no one could see her way up there, and she slipped out of it for an overall tan.

She'd hardly begun when she heard someone running up the stairs. She was lying on her stomach, so she just pulled a towel over her rear.

"Excuse me, miss," said the flustered little assistant manager of the hotel, out of breath from running up the stairs. "The Hilton doesn't mind you sunbathing on the roof but we would very much appreciate you wearing a bathing suit as you did yesterday."

"What difference does it make?" Joan asked rather calmly. "No one can see me up here, and besides, I'm covered with a towel."

"Not exactly," said the embarrassed little man. "You're lying on the dining room skylight."

V

vic

Keep Your Eye on the Ball
"How was your golf game, dear?" asked Jack's wife, Edna.

"Well, I was hitting pretty well, but my eyesight's gotten so bad I couldn't see where the ball went."

"Well, you're seventy-five years old, Jack!" admonished his wife. "Why don't you take my brother, Ronald, along the next time you play?"

"But he's EIGHTY-FIVE and doesn't even PLAY golf anymore," protested Jack.

"But he's got perfect eyesight after his cataract surgery. He could watch your ball," Edna pointed out.

So the next day Jack teed off, with Ronald looking on. Jack swung, and the ball disappeared down the middle of the fairway. "Do you see it?" asked Jack.

"Yup," answered Ronald.

"Where did it go?" asked Jack, peering off into the distance.

"I dunno. I forgot," said Ronald.

M

moreluck

Pearly Gates.....

A newly deceased man, David, stands at the pearly gates. St. Peter tells him that he cannot go to heaven right away because he cheated on his income taxes. The only way he might get into heaven would be to sleep with a stupid, ugly woman for the next 5 years and enjoy it.

David decides that this is a small price to pay for an eternity in Heaven. So off he goes with an ugly stupid woman, pretending to be happy.

As he walks along, he sees his friend Steve up ahead, with an even uglier woman. When he asks what's going on, Steve replies, "I cheated on my income taxes and scammed the government out of a lot of money."

They both shake their heads in understanding and figure that they might as well hang out together to help pass the time.

Now David, Steve and their two ugly women are walking along, minding their own business when they see someone who looks like their old friend Martin up ahead. This man is with an absolutely gorgeous woman who looks like a supermodel. Stunned and jealous, David and Steve approach the man and discover that it is their friend, Martin.

They ask him how he got this unbelievable goddess, while they're stuck with these god-awful women. Martin replies, "I have no idea, but I'm definitely not complaining. This has been absolutely the best time of my life and I have had 5 years of the best sex any man could hope to look forward to. There is only one thing that I can't seem to understand. Everytime we finish making love, she rolls over and murmers, "Damn income taxes!"

M

moreluck

A woman was sitting at a bar enjoying an afterwork cocktail with her girlfriends when an exceptionally tall, handsome, extremely sexy young man entered. He was so striking that the woman could not take her eyes away from him.

The young man noticed her overly attentive stare and walked directly toward them. Before she could offer her apologies for being so rude for staring, the young man said to her, "I'll do anything, absolutely anything that you want me to do, no matter how kinky for $100 and on one condition."

Flabbergasted, the woman asked what the condition was. The young man replied, "You have to tell me what you want me to do in just 3 words."

The woman considered his proposition for a moment and them withdrew 5 twenty dollar bills slowly from her purse and pressed them into the young man's hand. She looked deeply into his eyes and slowly, meaningfully said, "Clean My House."

M

moreluck

WISH.....

A couple had been married for 40 years and also celebrated their 60th birthdays. During the celebration a fairy appeared and said that because they had been such a loving couple all those years she would give them one wish each.

The wife wanted to travel around the world. The fairy waved her wand and ....BOOM! She had the tickets in her hand.

Next it was the husband's turn. He paused for a moment, then said with a nasty grin, "Well, I'd like to have a woman 30 years younger than me."

The fairy picked up her wand and....BOOM! He was a 90 year old man.