Hello from the United Kingdom

helenofcalifornia

Cheese rolling????? Is that where they roll a round of cheese down a hill and people run down the steep hill to get it? Sounds like something you would do after you have been at the bar a LONG time with your mates. We could roll a block of American cheese down a hill. Wouldn't roll as well though.

Sammie

The land of the handsome brutes. You wouldn't say that if you attended our PCM.

CBUK,

Something you should probably realize about this forum....

Some time back, someone started a thread here about "America's Hottest Husband"...

Which was in regards to a woman who entered her husband in a Gorgeous Man contest. And her husband won. He's also a UPS feeder driver from Minnesota.

But rather than congratulate the guy, some of our forum members had their own take of Greg's win:

Rod
Oh great- as if feeder drivers don't have a big enough head already now this dude is suppose to be the hottest husband. We all know that honor belongs to me.

Local 804
Well its a good thing myself and the drivers from my center were not in this competition.

Raw
OMG!!! I`m WAY hotter than that going bald, fem (light on the feet ) looking feeder drive!!!! WAY HOTTER!!!!!

Raceanoncr
The only way HE got it is...We forgot to submit an application...FOR ME!

Mr. Vengeance
i wasn't aware of this contest. if i did, there would be no contest.

My point being, CBUK, that there's no reason for you to be modest. Few on this site are... :no:

And ladies, Redbook is looking for A Few Good Men Again for 2008. Any candidates???

CBUK

East End Park. Not been to Tynecastle. Where I live now its 400 miles to Scotland so I dont go very often.

I'm a Cambridge United fan, season ticket holder for the last 4 years. Been watching them for 16 years in total. We now have links with the Seattle Sounders in the U.S but I dont think soccer gets much interest in America does it?

Brownnblue

East End Park. Not been to Tynecastle. Where I live now its 400 miles to Scotland so I dont go very often.

I'm a Cambridge United fan, season ticket holder for the last 4 years. Been watching them for 16 years in total. We now have links with the Seattle Sounders in the U.S but I dont think soccer gets much interest in America does it?

Didn't Cambridge United go into administration a few years back?

Compared to baseball & the NFL, soccer does not get alot of interest, however since the popularity of the Internet, the national team's involvement in the World Cup, and MLS, you can find plenty of soccer games & information if you are interested. It will also be interesting to see David Beckham's impact once he starts playing for the Galaxy.

We have a fairly extensive youth system, and the woman's team is expected to go far in China. Soccer really is not that popular, but if you look back to the mid-80s, it was pretty much non-existent over here. No league, no overseas TV coverage, no Internet to check scores. The "joke" (if you could call it that, not trying to be insensitive) at the time was it took 39 people losing there lives to get the score of the European Cup final in '85 over here.

CBUK

Yes we did go into administration and subsequentley got relegated into the Conference which is the top tier of non league football. We have been there for three years now but we are rebuilding and it looks good for a promotion push this season starting on August 11th.

I am interested to see how David Beckham gets on. George Best gave it a go in the 80s as did Pele but Beckhams got 100 million quid to help him through. I hope he can raise the profile of the game but when Baseball, Basketball and American Football have a hundred years of history its a tough call.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
LOL thanks area 43 great stuff. Ive really missed all you guys and I`m glad to be back. whats more ,is its nice to feel welcome back . I had some major issues that I had to sort out in my life ( some of them you all know about , some you dont) but I`ve got most of them sorted and I`m back on track. My parents were majorly affected by the recent floods in the Uk, They live in the Midlands close to a town called Ludlow which suffered majorly. Apparently now there is fear of disease because all the septic tanks and sewer systems flooded out into the streats.

Sorry to ressurrect an old thread, but I too am from the UK and have recently joined the browncafe community.
I am a contracted part-time office boy tho', in charge of UPS Southampton's DIS invoice imaging, sorting out the dangerous goods, controlled goods, held packages and smart scan on the local sort, with tachographs and more recently the lovely TTS check during daylight hours!

Most of the guys and girls at Southampton, both in the office and the package car drivers are all great people!
We are still running independently from Lynx (UK carrier that UPS bought out) at the moment, who have a depot less than a mile away from us!
It's going to be interesting to see what happens there as no-one seems to know if, when or how we'll be integrated.

I hope to visit and post frequently, if I can remember my username and password :biggrin:

All the best,
Mark

Last edited:

poozer2000

Sorry to ressurrect an old thread, but I too am from the UK and have recently joined the browncafe community.
I am a contracted part-time office boy tho', in charge of UPS Southampton's DIS invoice imaging, sorting out the dangerous goods, controlled goods, held packages and smart scan on the local sort, with tachographs and more recently the lovely TTS check during daylight hours!

Most of the guys and girls at Southampton, both in the office and the package car drivers are all great people!
We are still running independently from Lynx (UK carrier that UPS bought out) at the moment, who have a depot less than a mile away from us!
It's going to be interesting to see what happens there as no-one seems to know if, when or how we'll be integrated.

I hope to visit and post frequently, if I can remember my username and password :biggrin:

All the best,
Mark

welcome packagemanuk Mark

Coldworld

60 months and counting

All the best,
Mark

hello, didnt ups buy lynx a couple of years ago and ups is still running things independently?? How is ups related in size to the other players like fedex, dhl, tnt???its nice to know ups can grow with all of this other competition in the world.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

All the best,
Mark

hello, didnt ups buy lynx a couple of years ago and ups is still running things independently?? How is ups related in size to the other players like fedex, dhl, tnt???its nice to know ups can grow with all of this other competition in the world. There was a rumor that ups was going to buy tnt, did anyone hear this over there? its interesting to think aboutthe purchase ups could have put a down payment on if it didnt have to pay 6 billion to the cs pension fund. tnt, yellow-roadway, fedex...etc, etc.

hello, didnt ups buy lynx a couple of years ago and ups is still running things independently?? How is ups related in size to the other players like fedex, dhl, tnt???

Yes UPS bought Lynx out for around 70 million GBP a couple of years ago if I remember rightly from the PCM.
The aim is to merge us altogether in the future, special integration teams have been formed to make the process as smooth as possible.
There is a centre at Dartford (close to London) that is fully operational.

As far as UPS Southampton goes, we have a Lynx depot across town and they are at present running as two separate units. We were supposed to begin the merging process early next year, but the jungle drums suggest that it has slipped into June/July 2008.

The UPS depot is far too small to handle both operations, although in a superb position with easy motorway access in all directions. The Lynx depot appears dilapidated though much bigger than the UPS building, so much so that Lynx do not use parts of it. There were rumours that a forklift truck was discovered a few months after the buy-out, covered in dust that had simply been forgotten about! Its location is not the best; in the middle of a busy town and access in/out can be a big problem.

IMO it would appear that two Southampton centres will have to run alongside each other, at least for the forseeable future with service areas split between the two. Long term, new premises surely!

As far as the other couriers go, DHL vans are very plentiful and are probably UPS' main 'local' rival here, TNT and Fedex are fairly rare in comparison.
There are other UK-based couriers aside from Royal Mail that seem to do good business, such as CityLink and Parceline.

CBUK

Jet Set Demo

Hello mate

Hows things down in Sunny Dartford?

I've not been on here for a while and wasn't expecting to run into anyone I know. Lynx integration is complete at Bury St Edmunds and we have seriously downsized in the process. We lost big areas to Northampton and Norwich which are both Lynx sites. We now only cover IP and CO postcodes plus CB8 9 10 and 11 which is fortunate for me because I was and always will be the King of Cambridge.

Still plugging away in CB9 and 10.

Cant complain.

Down in Southampton, the Lynx depot will become UPS Eastleigh, and it has already gained all our DT postcodes.
However, they have gone out to OSPs (Outside Service Providers) who at this early stage don't seem to have a clue what they are doing on their outbound freight, which comes to Southampton. (packages with no labels on, waybills left with all three copies attached, no invoices, incomplete addresses, late return to centre after the feed and chase has gone etc.)

I also understand we will lose some of our SO postcodes to them on Friday, and with them will go some of our drivers.
UPS Soton also lost some GU postcodes to Lynx Reading, but I understand we're getting some back in the future as well as some extra ones.
PO1-22, PO30-45, and BH1-25 will remain under our control.

UPS Eastleigh have also got themselves 20 'old' P80s from various centres, which will supplement/replace their aging Sprinter fleet.
Some of its existing cars have gone brown but lack UPS logos.

June 21st 2008 is THE day I believe when it officially opens as a UPS centre...

CBUK

I've seen a few Lynx feeder vehicles with drivers in brown and a transfer stuck under the Lynx logo that says A UPS Company.

We lost Cambridge to Northampton and I've been told that there are a lot of owner drivers which UPS said they were going ton get rid of. The rumour now is that they are considering selling out 50% of the routes at all centres to owner drivers and the union are :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:ting themselves over it.

I don't like the idea of owner driving. The best thing about the job is that you can go home and put it to the back of your mind if you want to. I wouldn't fancy having to do my tax returns at night and pay for my own fuel especially the way prices are currently.

In the current cost cutting mode UPS seem to be in they must be thinking they can push some of their overheads back at the drivers,

I am listening out with interest.