Help! I need advice!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Who has a nav screen? Does pkg have navigation now?

Looks like this.

85024245_2607586119511689_4571453204339884032_o.jpg

ManInBrown

Hi! I know this place is probably mostly for males and actual UPS employees, but I need advice. My husband has worked for UPS for over a year now, but he just became a driver around August. Well, he hurt his ankle recently and the supervisors are always making comments about drivers needing to do their routes quickly and talking crap when someone doesn’t that he started getting stressed. His cousin saw him doing his route the other day offered to help with a few stops and since he was hurt and feeling pressure from the supervisors he stupidly said sure and let him go with him to help with a few stops. Well turns out a pre load supervisor saw him with his cousin in the vehicle and of course told the other supervisors. He got terminated yesterday! I’m freaking out because he’s the only one working right now while I’m in school and taking care of our son and this is one of the best jobs he’s ever had and might ever get (pay, insurance and retirement wise)! He put in the protest his union rep told him to, but the rep said it would probably be a month before they knew anything and that it’s not looking good because apparently that one of the worst things you can do. That seems like bs to me because I’ve heard about guys flipping a truck, drinking on the job and getting in an accident, and doing drugs on the job and all of them still have their jobs. So idk but I’m so stressed and need to know if you guys think there’s even a chance he’ll get his job back or what your advice for us is.
He’s screwed but it’s not a lost cause. I know a guy that got his job back for the same thing, he was out of work for 18 months.

Hi! I know this place is probably mostly for males and actual UPS employees, but I need advice. My husband has worked for UPS for over a year now, but he just became a driver around August. Well, he hurt his ankle recently and the supervisors are always making comments about drivers needing to do their routes quickly and talking crap when someone doesn’t that he started getting stressed. His cousin saw him doing his route the other day offered to help with a few stops and since he was hurt and feeling pressure from the supervisors he stupidly said sure and let him go with him to help with a few stops. Well turns out a pre load supervisor saw him with his cousin in the vehicle and of course told the other supervisors. He got terminated yesterday! I’m freaking out because he’s the only one working right now while I’m in school and taking care of our son and this is one of the best jobs he’s ever had and might ever get (pay, insurance and retirement wise)! He put in the protest his union rep told him to, but the rep said it would probably be a month before they knew anything and that it’s not looking good because apparently that one of the worst things you can do. That seems like bs to me because I’ve heard about guys flipping a truck, drinking on the job and getting in an accident, and doing drugs on the job and all of them still have their jobs. So idk but I’m so stressed and need to know if you guys think there’s even a chance he’ll get his job back or what your advice for us is.
8FflcgoNqU0VuBsQnM.gif

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

time to start looking for a job babe

hubby’s toast

DOK

Who has a nav screen? Does pkg have navigation now? Feeders certainly doesn't.

And this cardinal sin is nothing new. We've had stupid people work at UPS and doing really, really

stupid stuff since I've been here...40 years.
32 years in and counting here, I know what you’re talking about but the frequency of stupidity is higher now. They’re being set up and trained to fail as well. Being trained by a supervisor who might know the 340 methods verbatim is not the same as being trained by another driver who might be able to pass on all the nuances of actually performing the job both safely and efficiently.
Package car drivers now have nav, to the point where it tells you to turn into someone’s driveway, so they do. Now it’s dark and raining, nowhere to turn around now they’re screwed. Customer says it’s ok to turn around in the grass, so they do, now they’re stuck, stuff like that.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Had a part timer who went into driving. He was killing it! SPORH higher than seasoned driver. First one in every day. Cinch to make seniority. He got followed on his route. Turned out, he was giving half his stops to his wife and she was delivering them out of her car. Not sure how he did the sheeting since this was before DR. We used a term back then called "door knobbing". Probably signed for them himself. He was fired for good. And rightfully so.

oldupsman

Getting him back to work may depend on a few things:
1. His past work history. Was he late or absent a lot or not?

2. Did he engage in a lot of union activity (filing grievances, etc)?

3. Did he get along with management?
There is no way this guy gets his job back I don’t care if he spent everyday before start time under his center managers desk, he had a non UPS employee on the truck with him. Done.

Had this exact same situation happen back when I was working back in the 90's. Guy had his wife
meet him on his route early in his career. Before Diad. He would sheet up stops and send her off in
her car to do stops. Then he would do the stops in the package car. Good guy. Was already in the union.

Got caught. Never had caused a problem. BA pleaded his case to stay. Got a 3 day suspension.
Told don't do it again. That was it. Later went into management. Never got above delivery supervisor.
One of the good ones. Put in his 30 and got out.

Johney

Had this exact same situation happen back when I was working back in the 90's. Guy had his wife
meet him on his route early in his career. Before Diad. He would sheet up stops and send her off in
her car to do stops. Then he would do the stops in the package car. Good guy. Was already in the union.

Got caught. Never had caused a problem. BA pleaded his case to stay. Got a 3 day suspension.
Told don't do it again. That was it. Later went into management. Never got above delivery supervisor.
One of the good ones. Put in his 30 and got out.
Wife wasn't on the package car with him though. No liability.

ZeroHandicapper

Olympic Preload Gold Medalist

If I were you I would say he has low blood sugar and was having a medical problem and thought it was still peak season.

barnyard

KTM rider
Had a part timer who went into driving. He was killing it! SPORH higher than seasoned driver. First one in every day. Cinch to make seniority. He got followed on his route. Turned out, he was giving half his stops to his wife and she was delivering them out of her car. Not sure how he did the sheeting since this was before DR. We used a term back then called "door knobbing". Probably signed for them himself. He was fired for good. And rightfully so.

We were told about that guy when I went to driver training. If I remember correctly, he was caught when his wife delivered a package to either a supe or center manager's house and it skittered downhill from there.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
We were told about that guy when I went to driver training. If I remember correctly, he was caught when his wife delivered a package to either a supe or center manager's house and it skittered downhill from there.
I don't remember exactly how he got caught. But he was so cocky with the other drivers, and we all thought no way he can be that fast. I guess management thought the same thing and followed him.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Thank you all for your advice and opinions. Hopefully everything will work out in our favor, but if not we’ll figure it out.
Money isnt everything. If you keep your marriage strong through these kinds of things you've probably done a lot better than many posters (and members) on here.

Box Ox

Never is and I didnt post that it was. The issue may still be that him being new and given the lack of comprehensive training going on that he didnt know it was sudden vocational death.

Hate it when that happens. New driver gets canned because they weren't well trained enough to know not to bring a non-UPS employee on board.