Helper Woes

oldngray

nowhere special
frabz-help-me-to-help-you-45088f.jpg

FilingBluesFL

As long as you look gooood in the uniform.

The doof I had Friday, reminded me of a retarded Dr. Evil, the way his uniform was still all starchy as if he didn't wash it before wearing it... and add on it a pair of white shoes like Dr. Evil...

And he was just stupid lol

@gingerkat , if you were my helper I'd hook you up with some catnip to keep you going through the day :funny:

MassWineGuy

He gets moody when it rains, slow and lazy after lunch, he delivers to the wrong houses after I point him to the right ones, can't figure out the diad after a week...but mostly he's just way too slow.

Oh come on now, is that all? You're being too hard on the guy.

In all fairness, they give helpers about 20 minutes of DIAD training. I love and am quite facile with technology, but the DIAD is definitely not intuitive nor easy for someone who never used one.

MassWineGuy

Only want to work five hours? Most people who become helpers want all the hours they can get. The money's horrible so it's good to make it up on volume.

Drivers, when you meet you're helper the first day do you explain what you expect from them (or don't expect)?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Drivers, when you meet you're helper the first day do you explain what you expect from them (or don't expect)?

Yes. We go over the safety stuff first-----seat belt/handrail/cross behind the car----and then we go over my personal rules----no smoking in the pkg car, try to time restroom breaks for stops w/public restrooms---and we finally go over the basics of the DIAD. The driver is responsible for both the safety and performance of the helper.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
When I get a helper that actually can get the job done quickly and efficiently I'll tell the helper coordinator that I want that person for the rest of peak. That is last I'll see of them.
When I get one that can't pour pee out of a boot with instructions written on the heel...guess who is in the jump seat for the duration.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Yes. We go over the safety stuff first-----seat belt/handrail/cross behind the car----and then we go over my personal rules----no smoking in the pkg car, try to time restroom breaks for stops w/public restrooms---and we finally go over the basics of the DIAD. The driver is responsible for both the safety and performance of the helper.

I do the same thing

Sent from my Nexus 7 using BrownCafe mobile app

gingerkat

Only want to work five hours? Most people who become helpers want all the hours they can get. The money's horrible so it's good to make it up on volume.
Mass I agree, most helpers want tons of hours, but I am not a normal helper. I'm doing this as a favor to the driver and for a little exercise. My paychecks are sitting here and the plan is to donate them.