Helper Woes

FilingBluesFL

Today was very enlightening with the "Helper Coordinator."

"Yeah, I don't want the handicapped dude again. I want The Awesome Dude."

"Well, you can't have The Awesome Dude, he's already doing a remote."

"That didn't seem to be a problem last week when you gave him to me."

"Yeah, but that was last week, and I can't do that again without getting in trouble."

"Well, I need someone that DOESN'T get lost walking around the side of a 500 sq. ft. cottage in the middle of an open field. I don't understand why I can't get a helper that's not handicapped, physically and mentally?"

"Well we have certain numbers we're supposed to meet and expected to meet them. I can't give you The Awesome Dude."

"OOOooohhhh I see. More made up crap numbers that really don't mean a thing. I see."

I went to my Super, and got The Awesome Dude. Coordinator be damned.

JakeD

It didn't appear that this guy was walking at a brisk pace when he delivered that box to a house. Great money?

heh handcart for 3 boxes that could be handed down like that.. pfffft use that power zone buddy!

not sure how they found a car with like 50 packages at noon time during peak. ;)

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
What a Bogus Phoney Ad..No Bulk? No inclement weather, Same driver everyday? Now that's a good one, 5 days a week? Most helpers I had complained that they did not get the hours promised them, told 8 then get if they are lucky 5..Whata Joke

They should ride with me then. I work my helper 8-10 hours a day everyday regardless of the allotted time (and no one says a word to me.)

The Milkman

Usually go through an average of 2 helpers before I get one that can work. I won't keep someone that is slow, complains all day, and/or can't follow simple instructions. I won't let them use the helper board, except on rare occasions will I hand them one already in signature mode to grab a signature for me while I sort. I've had some real knuckleheads over the years. Why does UPS even hire overweight people? I get it. Can't be biased, but for the love of Pete they just can't get the job done. I've yet to have an overweight person handle the job for 10+ hours a day every day. There's no excuse for me delivering 3-4 stops while they're still doing one. I also don't get how a guy in his early twenties, in shape, can't keep up with my old ass. My knees are shot, and I do this job year in, year out, and these kids cry as soon as the first hour passes. "When are we eating? When are we taking a break? How long till we're done? Is it like this every day? When do I get paid? Do we work in the rain? Do I have to carry that heavy (40 lb) box by myself?" Some days I just wanna cram a tampon in their mouths to stop the heavy flow. I did have one guy for 3 straight years that was great. He was on time every day. Never complained about anything, rain, shine, cold or blown-out. Could also keep a conversation going without using the word "like" to connect his sentences. "Are we getting done, like, soon, or like, later? You know, like, will I be paid on Thursday, or like Friday". ugh. This year I have a former Pre-loader. He worked for 6 years until he left the company for another job that fell through. He's always on time, and never complains. Is he quick? Nope, and I have to literally point to every door and wait until he starts in the right direction, but at least he's dependable. I take that over fat, stupid, and complaining any day.

Good luck with your helpers. Soon as it rains you'll know if they're a keeper or not, or if they're suddenly "ill".

phox1515

Sigh I feel bad for you guys getting bad helpers. I do my best as a helper and I know my driver appreciates it because he gives me more hours than he's supposed to and if I need to start later than usual because of some personal business he's cool with it. I'm pretty sure he's testing the waters to see just how many more hours than i'm allotted for that he can give me before he gets in trouble. I liked the driver and route I had last year, worked 9+ hours a day 5 days a week, had the route memorized and was even trusted to deliver to 3 apartment complexes on my own after lunch while he did pickups (his route was 90% businesses). this years driver is cool and all but the hours are poor and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to his route... it's never the same order any day.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I ended up ditching the helper and the new one is SuperHelper. He needs a cape. I don't care if I'm bricked out front to back up to the rafters because I know the guy is going to give 100% and it's going to be a good day no matter what.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Last week, I finally got a helper that I wanted to keep. Helper #8 was experienced from last year, could work DIAD 4&5, liked to talk and is funny as hell, but most of all he fast. I picked him up Monday, he leaned out his door ninety minutes later and started throwing up because of a stomach virus. I took him straight home, they sent me a UPS Capital manager from Corporate to help me finish the heaviest dispatch day my Hub has ever seen. "Jon from Minnesota" used to be a driver and we emptied the car out by 8PM on a cold, rainy, and generally miserable day.

Replacement Helper that started Tuesday is good as long as its not raining, too cold, and is able to show up late if she wants too. I found out today from the driver that used to use her that she works as a stripper at night. I'm not making this up, I swear. So I have had nine different Helpers this year on my car and three different ones on my golf cart route. The current golf cart guy has trouble working the DIAD, doesn't pickup Call Tags, falsifies his time cards, and doesn't deliver wet packages.

I hope to God that this is my last Peak.

Whargoul

I was turning in my DVIR and COD envelope the other night and I overheard another driver telling one of my sups that his helper that day was a 63 year old man that could barely walk and the day before that his helper was 300+lbs... I just busted out laughing. Where do they find these people? I know in my state they can't discriminate but the job does have certain physical requirements.