Helpers and 30 stops in "helper board"?

Overpaid Union Thug

I absolutely despise using helpers. I hate using helper boards even more. Sometimes I will actually chose (I'm unassigned) to run a crappier route that I normally avoid if there is no helper assigned to it. Honestly......I hate peak season in general. It is hillarious watching management behave as if it's UPSs first peak ever though.

robbdogg75

Hello everyone, just wondering if anyone's centers are also using golf carts for their helpers. Our center is storing golf carts at employees garages in large neighborhoods and dropping off between 60 - 90 stops and a diad to a helper daily. I've been a preloader for 4 yrs (also driving one of the golf carts) and have been told there will be no new TCDs needed this year. This is because they are running 8 - 10 golf carts with 70 plus stops. Every two carts equals one cover driver. My average day consists of an average of 75 stops. Residential and some business. I never even see the driver most of the time. Packages are dropped in garage before I even get there.

So UPS has helpers at 8.50 hr doing deliveries on golf carts instead of paying drivers pay. Union needs to stop this nonsense. I've heard several drivers complaining that they are losing work. I've also heard shop stewards saying they are working on putting a stop to the golf carts. Anyone else have this going on at their centers and what do you think about it?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We have a golf course that is delivered out of a golf cart. The helper lives on the golf course and we run his stops out to him first thing in the morning. He is on his own to deliver.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
We received two OMS messages today that we were to have at least 40 stops in the Helper Diad ,NO EXCEPTIONS! if there was an exception the driver had call the Center and explain to the center manager why it wasn't possible to put put 40 stops on the board.
I swear, i couldn't make this stuff up

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We received two OMS messages today that we were to have at least 40 stops in the Helper Diad ,NO EXCEPTIONS! if there was an exception the driver had call the Center and explain to the center manager why it wasn't possible to put put 40 stops on the board.
I swear, i couldn't make this stuff up

We get those messages also, only our quota is 30.

I have been ignoring them for several years now.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I put all but 1 stop in the helper diad y/day and got chewed out about it this morning. I told them i REALLY was just trying to make sure i had enough stops in the Helper Board!

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
ive learned once again how to manipulate the system,, put the vast majority of stops in the NONE GPS board well in advanced,, use the normal as reference

tourists24

Ive told management I dont want a helper this year.... they dont train them and I refuse to.... Id rather be out til 10pm.... they told me Im getting one anyway.... this is going to be fun

BrownArmy

Had a helper last Friday who talked for the entire six hours he was with me.

I wanted to ask him, "doesn't your face hurt from all that talking?".

I'd so much rather be by myself...

I put the 40 required stops in the helper board first thing, then it sits in the back of the truck for the rest of the day.

What a waste of time.

jaker

trolling
Bringing this back up , I was thinking today about how there is supposed to be 35 stops in the helper board , i understand if they are trained to use it , but am I wrong if we are putting the stops in their board is that not falsifying info on our part if the diad has their name it not ours

menotyou

bella amicizia
Bringing this back up , I was thinking today about how there is supposed to be 35 stops in the helper board , i understand if they are trained to use it , but am I wrong if we are putting the stops in their board is that not falsifying info on our part if the diad has their name it not ours
Everything they do is falsifying. 'Missed' for damages? 'Security checks' for missed? The SEC would have a field day.

AssistantSanta

For the past few years i have put all of the stops in the helper board once i pick him up. There is no GPS in the helper boards so if a DR claim arises after peak i dont have to worry about being charged with a mis delivery and since it's the helpers name on the claim form i can,as has been stated: blame it on the helper who is no longer with the company. This came in handy year before last when a customer that i KNEW had gotten the packages claimed non reciept
Are some drivers misusing their helpers as a way of doing something risky they wouldn't do themselves but dodging accountability?

What they taught us fresh helpers at the center and what drivers do are two different things. They told us NOT to release obvious high value/risk items at the door.

One of those was a big Plasma TV in nice colorful retail box that clearly shows whats inside. That driver(the cover one) scanned it on helper board(that had my name on it), left it at the door around noon only because the package wasn't signature required.

If he did it on the DIAD that didn't have my name on it and he delivered that one himself, then that's not my business.

If that TV got jacked and he blamed it on me for "unwise package release" and told the management that "the helper did it while I was delivering across the street", how do I look to the management when I apply with UPS after peak?

If the driver doesn't have their helper do something they wouldn't do themselve, that's understandable, but its an integrity issue to do something they otherwise wouldn't risk because they can "blame it on the helper".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The helper board may have your name on it but it is linked to the driver through his/her employee ID#. You should bring any concerns you have about poor driver release methods to the attention of your driver and, if he/she blows you off, to your helper coordinator. "Out of sight/out of weather" is not just a catch phrase.

I try to put myself in the consignee's shoes when making a delivery and ask myself if this is where I would want the delivery left if this were my house.

I had a clearly marked big screen TV the other day. I was able to hide it and left a delivery notice for the consignee. It took me a little longer but I'd rather spend a few minutes now rather than a few minutes trying to explain a missing big screen TV.

AssistantSanta

The helper board may have your name on it but it is linked to the driver through his/her employee ID#. You should bring any concerns you have about poor driver release methods to the attention of your driver and, if he/she blows you off, to your helper coordinator. "Out of sight/out of weather" is not just a catch phrase.

I try to put myself in the consignee's shoes when making a delivery and ask myself if this is where I would want the delivery left if this were my house.

I had a clearly marked big screen TV the other day. I was able to hide it and left a delivery notice for the consignee. It took me a little longer but I'd rather spend a few minutes now rather than a few minutes trying to explain a missing big screen TV.
He simply hid it good enough to be not visible form the street. Oh but a bunch of construction guys saw him hide it, so all it takes is one of 'em to text his buddy that UPS guy just hid a brand new plasma TV next to where he's working.

BrownBlue

New Jack
If I didn't get a talkative helper I'd lose my mind. It is interesting that they recieve zero training at all now on how to do the job, just a bunch of safety lists from people who have never delivered a package. We are suppose to be paid 50 cents more an hour if we are training. UPS usually claims it is training new hires inside for 2 weeks as the supes will be doing work near new hire. So the way I figure we are owed 2 weeks at the premium rate once you get a helper. I file and see what happens. At very least it will get center manager's goat.