Helping other drivers

Megacolor

I just started driving and the sups asking me to help other drivers... I've been helping out other drivers...last week one driver I helped gave me 70 packages when it was already 5pm when I meet up with him. I don't mind helping out at all but damnnn...today I just got done with 180 stop and its 6:30 pm. the sup called me and wanted to me help out a driver. Its dark out and I'm tired. What advice can you guys give me?

542thruNthru

I just started driving and the sups asking me to help other drivers... I've been helping out other drivers...last week one driver I helped gave me 70 packages when it was already 5pm when I meet up with him. I don't mind helping out at all but damnnn...today I just got done with 180 stop and its 6:30 pm. the sup called me and wanted to me help out a driver. Its dark out and I'm tired. What advice can you guys give me?
Advice: Get used to it. You have no seniority and you will work as directed.

PPH_over_9000

work slower? I'm trying to get on as a full time driver. I'm only 6 weeks in

So this is your life, brother.

Low-man on the seniority list (if you're even on it at this point, but you should be at 6 weeks in if you've worked every day) get the shaft, man. The less you make per hour, the more hours you're going to be working.

That only changes when the volume isn't there, routes get cut and yours is still in but you're going out with less than an 8hr day. Until you start to climb the seniority list then expect every day to be a wonderful surprise in all regards.

542thruNthru

I feel like that're taking advantage of the new guys. There are drivers that have fewer stops and finished way before me, why not asked them?
Yes it's called seniority. You have none so you do the work others don't want to.

"Fair" is not a work in the UPS dictionary. Sooner you realize that the better your life will be.

Megacolor

So this is your life, brother.

Low-man on the seniority list (if you're even on it at this point, but you should be at 6 weeks in if you've worked every day) get the shaft, man. The less you make per hour, the more hours you're going to be working.

That only changes when the volume isn't there, routes get cut and yours is still in but you're going out with less than an 8hr day. Until you start to climb the seniority list then expect every day to be a wonderful surprise in all regards.
somedays I be working 10 + hours.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
funny you go to bail out a bid driver at night every stop takes 5 times longer because you don't know the area and have to walk off every narrow or dead-end street.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
funny you go to bail out a bid driver at night every stop takes 5 times longer because you don't know the area and have to walk off every narrow or dead-end street.
Exactly. It's a safety issue IMO and if it continues, bring it up as such. The company will jump as soon as you say safety.

I'm all about the pecking order, yada yada, but WTF, seniority driver unloads 64 stops, that's just not kosher.
@Megacolor How much did he have in his truck after he gave you those stops?

Est.1998

Take your hour lunch

Bluefootedoobie

Damage Inc.
Some people go out with 220 with buisness stops and 20 pickups and you’re going out with just houses at about 120-150…no pickups. Figure it out.

bumped

Work while the work is there. Your making time and a half for those helping stops. Pretty soon volume will be down and you'll not be working these hours. Take advantage of them while they're there.

Road Dog 56

Work the methods
Work at a safe pace
Do the best you can
Talk to some veterans in your building for advice.
They would know better than anyone here.