Here's a gas card for doing your job!!

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
Socks has a point and with the implementation of PAS/EDD it is much easier to train new drivers. However, and perhaps some of the other older drivers here can back me up, our younger drivers, for the most part, do not have the same work ethic and do not go the extra step for the customer. In our center our younger drivers account for most of the ECs during inclement weather. Our younger drivers tend to bring back most of the "bad addresses" which, if they would just make a phone call or stop and ask for directions, would be delivered. I go through our lookup room each morning before going on the road and routinely pull 2 or 3 pkgs out and write directions for the cover driver. Most of these pkgs have a phone number which if the driver would have just taken a moment to call the pkg would have been delivered. So, yes, you may have increased production but you most certainly have decreased attention to detail or the sense that every pkg deserves every attempt to get delivered.

Unfortunately, that's the direction the company is going they say they care about service, but not the excellent service we were proud to provide and the customers came to expect.

It's embarassing, and believe me I was embarassed by the quality of service I was forced to give the last year I worked. And YES I did all I could to provide the best service I could within the constraints management placed on me.

Unfortunately, that's the direction the company is going they say they care about service, but not the excellent service we were proud to provide and the customers came to expect.

It's embarassing, and believe me I was embarassed by the quality of service I was forced to give the last year I worked. And YES I did all I could to provide the best service I could within the constraints management placed on me.
I always enjoyed "going the extra step" to get packages delivered in adverse situations until the atmosphere morphed into a solely production monster. It got to the point that when ever I took extra measures, I would be criticized, warned and threatened with discipline for taking too much time. With those types of constraints my will to do the extra faded away bit by bit to the point of not caring anymore. That is my biggest regret in my time with UPS.

Dustyroads

The rewards I like best are when my customers tell me what a great job I'm doing for them. Even better is when one of my customers happens to meet up with a member of my management team. I just like the feeling of providing that service above-and-beyond. Most of my customers have my cell phone number, and if they have a really important delivery issue they may call me or leave me a message. Sometimes, it might be the plumbing company that I don't deliver to until 2 pm that wants to meet me at my first stop for parts. A couple of days ago a customer called in the morning when I wasn't working, wanting a package to be held for pick-up. He said his drive was horribly slick and didn't want me to try it. It didn't take me a minute to call my cover driver and have the package held. I called the customer back to confirm that the package was waiting, and he was so greatful...he said, "I could never do this with FedEx", his words. I never left the recliner. :)

If my company wants to give me a prize or a tee shirt sometime, I'll be as gracious as I am to my customers. If my company can't afford it, that's fine too.

Dustyroads

One of the other safe driving award programs that was ended with the budget cutting was the Circle of Honor dinners that were held annually for drivers who had 25 or more years of safe driving. The dinner was a fancy shindig, in a nice hotel banquet room, lots of food and drinks. They would put you up at the hotel for the night, and one year there were free tickets to the football game. The parts of the dinner that I liked best was the opportunity for my wife to meet other drivers whom I had worked with for many years, and also, my wife got to get inside a package car, a new 1000 (maybe they don't call em that anymore) that they had parked in the hotel parking lot. She was surprised at the spartan accessories in the cab, and commented that she would roll off the seat.

The company spent a lot of money on the Circle of Honor banquet, so I guess it's ok that they axed it. Of course, in the room where we had our banquet, the drivers represented over 2,000 years of safe driving in UPS trucks, so I guess those drivers saved the company a lot of money in wrecked equipment. But, I can understand, times are tough all over. One thing that was initiated about the time the Circle of Honor banquet was abolished was adding a patch to the shoulder of the uniform of drivers with 25,30,and 35 years of safe driving. Although some drivers kidded us about wearing them, most of the drivers show a lot of respect for it. I've also noticed that visiting managers and supervisors comment on the patch and show a lot of respect for it. I think it was a good thing. I like that recognition more than the banquet. And, it dresses up the drab brown some. :)
2204.jpg

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
As bad as it may sound, when you leave chalk one up for management. I bet your management team can't wait for you to retire. They can fill your spot with someone half your age, much more productive, and half the price. I'm not being a dick, I'm just stating the truth.

You are being a dick, and while there might be a grain of truth to what you are saying you would do well to remember this simple fact; someday soon, you will be the one who can be replaced with someone half your age for half the price, and the implementation of PAS/EDD and Telematics will only make that day come sooner. Those of us who actually do the work can't be replaced by machines, whereas people like you who do nothing but sit around and watch the work being done will soon find themselves on the outside looking in.

Happy New Year!

EmerCond421

One of the other safe driving award programs that was ended with the budget cutting was the Circle of Honor dinners that were held annually for drivers who had 25 or more years of safe driving. The dinner was a fancy shindig, in a nice hotel banquet room, lots of food and drinks. They would put you up at the hotel for the night, and one year there were free tickets to the football game. The parts of the dinner that I liked best was the opportunity for my wife to meet other drivers whom I had worked with for many years, and also, my wife got to get inside a package car, a new 1000 (maybe they don't call em that anymore) that they had parked in the hotel parking lot. She was surprised at the spartan accessories in the cab, and commented that she would roll off the seat.

The company spent a lot of money on the Circle of Honor banquet, so I guess it's ok that they axed it. Of course, in the room where we had our banquet, the drivers represented over 2,000 years of safe driving in UPS trucks, so I guess those drivers saved the company a lot of money in wrecked equipment. But, I can understand, times are tough all over. One thing that was initiated about the time the Circle of Honor banquet was abolished was adding a patch to the shoulder of the uniform of drivers with 25,30,and 35 years of safe driving. Although some drivers kidded us about wearing them, most of the drivers show a lot of respect for it. I've also noticed that visiting managers and supervisors comment on the patch and show a lot of respect for it. I think it was a good thing. I like that recognition more than the banquet. And, it dresses up the drab brown some. :)

2204-jpg.11816

Never saw that patch before Dusty, llooookkkin' good!! We've had several drivers retire with 25-30 yrs safe driving; I guess we're too far out in the boonies.

soberups

Did you ever have a boil?

UPSSOCKS is much the same - don't poke it, leave it alone, it will go away all by itself...

I used to think the same thing.

I was wrong...there are certain posters who are more like a bad case of jock itch. You can ignore them for awhile and they will occasionally go away on their own, but most of the time you have to break out the tube of cream...or in this case, the truth...in order to make the irritation and odor go away for good. And even then, you will occasionally deal with a reoccuring flareup.

D

Dis-organized Labor

2204.jpg

Awesome achievement. I think it will be back. S. Davis is a Technology guy, but also smart enough to become CEO. Trust that he'll bring back simple recognition programs such as the "Circle of Honor" back. He has to sway the BOD and common Shareholders that he's addressing costs.

Last edited by a moderator:

soberups

You are correct. In recent years recognition got out of control. It was ok in my eyes when employees were rewarded for going above and beyond the call of duty. However in the last five to ten years people were getting reconized for just being there. That's where the line was crossed that's why it was so easy to cut spending for recognition.

Any by the by, when Casey started the company turkeys were not handed out. The tradition started as a gold piece and somewhere along the line it evolved into a turkey.....

If you are going to recite UPS history and mention Jim Casey's name, you ought to be willing to ask yourself this question; "do I perform my duties and treat my employees in a manner that reflects Jim Casey's values, and his vision for the company that he founded?"

In my opinion you couldn't carry Jim Casey's jock strap.

satellitedriver

As bad as it may sound, when you leave chalk one up for management. I bet your management team can't wait for you to retire.Maybe, my sups are jealous that I have retained my honor, while they have sold theirs. They can fill your spot with someone half your age,Yes, they can. much more productive,No, they will not. My SPORH is 20% higher than anyone that has ever run my route. and half the price.Wrong,. I'm not being a dick,No, you are just trying to grow one. I'm just stating the truth.Fact and truth are two separate concepts.

UPSSOCKS

If you are going to recite UPS history and mention Jim Casey's name, you ought to be willing to ask yourself this question; "do I perform my duties and treat my employees in a manner that reflects Jim Casey's values, and his vision for the company that he founded?"

In my opinion you couldn't carry Jim Casey's jock strap.

Thanks but,
I don't care about your opinion, you don't get paid for your opinions. You get paid to work as instructed. Leave that opinion stuff to me. Jim Casey didn't wear a jock strap.

soberups

Thanks but,
I don't care about your opinion, you don't get paid for your opinions. You get paid to work as instructed. Leave that opinion stuff to me. Jim Casey didn't wear a jock strap.

You dont get paid for your opinions either.

You get paid to manipulate whatever statistics that Corporate has selected as the flavor of the week. If you fail to generate those statistics, you will be replaced by someone who can.

And you didnt answer my question, so I will ask it again; "do I perform my duties and treat my employees in a manner that reflects Jim Casey's values, and his vision for the company that he founded?"

soberups

I bet your fat too? Sorry just another psych evaluation.
FYI I had to put on many kneepads in my day. Now I hand out the kneepads, and it feels better and doesn't taste as bad.......

I admire your honesty.

There were some things about you that I just couldnt understand. They are starting to make sense to me now.

Actually I do get paid for my opinions. On my bi-weekly corporate conference call, I get asked multiple times "what do you think." Therefore, I get paid for my opinions.

Also I would never fudge numbers. I don't have to. The fear I have placed in the hearts of teamsters over the years has made me the best. I set the Bar high and everyone follows.....

I always fudged my numbers....Had to....It was never acceptable being over 95% effective. Always had to ask other centers to borrow a time card or two after the sort. I was able to take some of their boxline time and add it to mine.

mnnice

I bet your fat too? Sorry just another psych evaluation.
FYI I had to put on many kneepads in my day. Now I hand out the kneepads, and it feels better and doesn't taste as bad.......
I retired from UPS two years ago from a management position and I truly think your comments show lack of respect to employees and UPS. I have seen people on BC get reprimanded for making comments like the one you just made. If you are truly a management person, respect was the first thing that was taught to me years before I came to UPS and I lived by it throughout my years at UPS. I suggest you do the same. Don't throw the kneepads away because if you are truly like this, you will need them to beg for your job.

mason575

Boy I got to tell you socks, I am just about offended by that. On too many occasions service failures in my building has been the fault of management by over dispatch and then initiating this 9.5 rule. I personally want to deliever everything i am dispatched with daily but then the sup tells me to miss whatever i need to make 9.5. I work as instructed. You tell me what I am supposed to do in this case? I go above whats expected of me beating it sometimes by over an hour and yes taking all my break. I, as alot of others here, own stock and want the company to be productive and competitive but its real damn hard to do it when management has an allowable % of missed they can have. if you want perfection then i suggest you start in your office and get your allowable numbers to 0. I get the feeling you have never been a driver so walk a mile in our shoes before handing down judgements. You are part of the UPS problem, unqualified making qualified decisions.

M

Mike23

Actually I do get paid for my opinions. On my bi-weekly corporate conference call, I get asked multiple times "what do you think." Therefore, I get paid for my opinions.

Also I would never fudge numbers. I don't have to. The fear I have placed in the hearts of teamsters over the years has made me the best. I set the Bar high and everyone follows.....

Look, EVERYONE wants to be recognized for going the extra mile. If you look at any top ten company to work for (these are ones with happy employees mind you) they always have perks. Day cares, naps and paid lunches (even for the hourlies) are big ones I've heard of.

In Alberta our managers have a really tough time keeping people within the company since every other company out there offers a shinier promise package and only 8 hours of work. Why work for UPS for $15 to start, be treated like dirt AND be made to work 12 hours a day when you can go down the street and work for $15 an hour with the same, or better, benefits and be home every night by dinner time? It's not like that everywhere but it is here.

I am also not only a Teamster but a UPS employee. Keep in mind that many UPSers on this site also own stock and so therefore do own part of the company. Depending on how long you've been with UPS, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that a few drivers actually own more of the company than you do...If that's the case, wouldn't that mean they should have the ability to take your bonus away if they technically own more of it than you do?

Oh, how's that communism revolution working out for you anyways? Also what about those under age kids from China? They still working hard on your shift for their rice?