Here's a gas card for doing your job!!

upsgrunt

After thinking about my last post, I feel that I should apologize to SOCKS.

UPSSOCKS- I'm sorry you're stupid.

Thanks; I feel better

ol'browneye

After I read the first one about him beating someone up in a hospital, I put him on ignore. Sounds like some punk kid that thinks he is in the mob because he is a teamster.[/QUOTE]

Not to be confused with some punk kid who thinks he is God because he is a UPS supe!

upsgrunt

No, the question is why do you reverently refer to him as your partner, tell him your on his side, positive rep him, and then talk smack about him in various posts?

D

Dis-organized Labor

No, the question is why do you reverently refer to him as your partner, tell him your on his side, positive rep him, and then talk smack about him in various posts?

You haven't earned enough points with me to give you an answer.
If you cannot comprehend my style with UPSSOCKS you need to move on to some other issue.
Don't mean to piss you off; but you're way out of line Junior.

upsgrunt

You haven't earned enough points with me to give you an answer.
If you cannot comprehend my style with UPSSOCKS you need to move on to some other issue.
Don't mean to piss you off; but you're way out of line Junior.

First of all, I don't have to earn ANYTHING with you; all it was was a simple question.

Second of all, if you think you are putting me down by calling me Junior, you are the one that is out of line.

The major difference between me and you is that I don't post EVERY single thought that comes into my head.

I don't care if I pissed you off.

upsgrunt

Do you want me to be your partner? Is that what this is all about. Are you a little bit jealous? When we talk about being partners, we are referring to work not alternative lifestyles. I'm glad you got that sugar in your tank out in the open though. I'm proud of you man or should I say miss? Which do you prefer?

I would prefer you just say "thank you", and be on your way.

Talk to your partner; I have no use for you.

Dustyroads

To me, the gifts and prizes were just trinkets. I perform my job with excellence, not to appease my boss, and not to get some little prize, but to provide a level of service to my customer that is unmatched. I am well compensated for the work that I do.

Several years ago, I decided not to take my safe driving awards for a few years, I felt like the safety department wasn't really sincere in their desire for a safe working enviornment. Now, if you want to talk about some pressure, I got it from management and from the Robbins Company (the company that provided the prizes). The center manager we had at the time called me in the office...."we need you to select your safe driving awards, or we will just select them for you," the guy said. I laughed at him and told him that red was my favorite color if he were picking out gifts for me.

However, despite my lack of enthusiasm for the prize programs, I think everyone has missed the point of the prizes. They were not compensation for doing perfect work. They are intended as a reward for exceptional work in certain areas, or simply as morale booster, or in some cases, they are little more than advertising for the company. It's not just UPS that gives out such prizes. There are a number of companies whose entire business is providing reward prizes for other businesses; Robbins Company, Maritz are a couple examples. Most big corporations provide those prizes to their employees, many of the prizes bear company logos, and could easily be seen as advertising for the provider.

When the economy tanked, UPS was unable to change the compensation package to which they were contractually bound with the IBT. So, they looked for non-compensation items to cut. The turkeys, years of service awards, and safe driving awards were some of things they found to take away. Big deal. I remember when they quit giving out billfolds. So what.

Bottom line is, we were not given the turkey for being a perfect driver or perfect loader. If SOCKS or anyone else thought that is why Jim Casey began that tradition, they are really out of touch. If UPS or anyone thought that not giving turkeys would substantially affect the bottom line, you are living in a dream world. We waste more money than that on paper for the operation reports that winds up in the trash every day.

UPSSOCKS

However, despite my lack of enthusiasm for the prize programs, I think everyone has missed the point of the prizes. They were not compensation for doing perfect work. They are intended as a reward for exceptional work in certain areas, or simply as morale booster, or in some cases, they are little more than advertising for the company.

You are correct. In recent years recognition got out of control. It was ok in my eyes when employees were rewarded for going above and beyond the call of duty. However in the last five to ten years people were getting reconized for just being there. That's where the line was crossed that's why it was so easy to cut spending for recognition.

Any by the by, when Casey started the company turkeys were not handed out. The tradition started as a gold piece and somewhere along the line it evolved into a turkey.....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would like to see the safe driving award program brought back but in a revised format. I would think that honoring milestone years, starting at year 5 and going up in 5 yr increments, would bring significance back to the program while saving some $$$.

over9five

Staff member
I agree with the company killing all the awards programs. I'm sure it's very expensive, and I'm only here for the paycheck, so I don't care.

satellitedriver

To me, the gifts and prizes were just trinkets. I perform my job with excellence, not to appease my boss, and not to get some little prize, but to provide a level of service to my customer that is unmatched. I am well compensated for the work that I do.
Ditto

Big deal. I remember when they quit giving out billfolds. So what.
I still use my billfold.

Bottom line is, we were not given the turkey for being a perfect driver or perfect loader. If SOCKS or anyone else thought that is why Jim Casey began that tradition, they are really out of touch. If UPS or anyone thought that not giving turkeys would substantially affect the bottom line, you are living in a dream world.
Read this last sentence and learn.
We waste more money than that on paper for the operation reports that winds up in the trash every day.

I, like Dusty, do not do this job/career for trinkets, or a slap on the back.
We should be recognizing and supporting the core group that keeps this company alive.
This groups name is the customer.
In this down turn in the economy we have turned inward to protect the profits of the share price, at the cost of root service.
Yes, I know we now have fancy smancy technology that can add/ cut routes and "costumers" -(pun intended)- must bend to our will and have no ability to depend on getting their deliveries on a consistent-(time frame)- daily basis.
I once was proud to wear brown, now I can no longer say that.
No matter what changes come, I will still hold to the old school and in two years from now I will walk away from UPS after 25yrs.
Not my wish to leave so soon, but my age and the micro-managed direction of UPS has made my decision.

UPSSOCKS

I, like Dusty, do not do this job/career for trinkets, or a slap on the back.
We should be recognizing and supporting the core group that keeps this company alive.
This groups name is the customer.
In this down turn in the economy we have turned inward to protect the profits of the share price, at the cost of root service.
Yes, I know we now have fancy smancy technology that can add/ cut routes and "costumers" -(pun intended)- must bend to our will and have no ability to depend on getting their deliveries on a consistent-(time frame)- daily basis.
I once was proud to wear brown, now I can no longer say that.
No matter what changes come, I will still hold to the old school and in two years from now I will walk away from UPS after 25yrs.
Not my wish to leave so soon, but my age and the micro-managed direction of UPS has made my decision.

As bad as it may sound, when you leave chalk one up for management. I bet your management team can't wait for you to retire. They can fill your spot with someone half your age, much more productive, and half the price. I'm not being a dick, I'm just stating the truth.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As bad as it may sound, when you leave chalk one up for management. I bet your management team can't wait for you to retire. They can fill your spot with someone half your age, much more productive, and half the price. I'm not being a dick, I'm just stating the truth.

Socks has a point and with the implementation of PAS/EDD it is much easier to train new drivers. However, and perhaps some of the other older drivers here can back me up, our younger drivers, for the most part, do not have the same work ethic and do not go the extra step for the customer. In our center our younger drivers account for most of the ECs during inclement weather. Our younger drivers tend to bring back most of the "bad addresses" which, if they would just make a phone call or stop and ask for directions, would be delivered. I go through our lookup room each morning before going on the road and routinely pull 2 or 3 pkgs out and write directions for the cover driver. Most of these pkgs have a phone number which if the driver would have just taken a moment to call the pkg would have been delivered. So, yes, you may have increased production but you most certainly have decreased attention to detail or the sense that every pkg deserves every attempt to get delivered.