High Planned Day in The UK

jetset

pitch and toss
:confused:1 Yesterday I looked at my load and was convinced I was not getting round, after consultation with my sup I was greeted with the words "you should be alright." Given the additional candy he earns I was in all honesty looking for something a little bit firmer or at least a lie. needless to say my actual day of 10 hours plus with a plan of 10.5 hours and several Missed deliveries left me feeling that I had let everybody down. The question I ask is whats the best "in the trenches" line ever received and did it work.
You know the "I Know its 150 stops but its an easy 150 stops" or "whilst I would be concerned if I was sending this out with a driver of lesser ability". You know the lines I mean but which one really works. Our sup was back from SLS in Germany and he hit me with "I learnt so much whilst in Germany but the bottom line is you will do it because I said so" Some would consider that as ten wasted days I was just impressed that he had managed to string a sentence together.

UPSmeoff

After strongly disagreeing with the amount of work on my car i always get the same....."Just give us a call around 3 and let us know how your doing."
Mgmt always waits until the last minute to send you help. I think they are hoping that you will skip your lunch and get it done.
Jet, i agree with your feelings of not performing. I cant stand having to ask for help, but when you have 120 business stops that have to be delivered by 5, aint no way im gonna do it.

over9five

Staff member
"whilst I would be concerned if I was sending this out with a driver of lesser ability".

Never heard that one. (But I like it!)

rod

Retired 22 years
I was once told that having more stops added to an already overly loaded route would make it easier because the stops would be closer together. No it didn't make any sense to me either.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
rod said:
I was once told that having more stops added to an already overly loaded route would make it easier because the stops would be closer together. No it didn't make any sense to me either.

While this is true, after about 9 1/2 hrs, you have delivered quite enough.

30andout

upsdude said:
Hey Boss, How about I just leave 30 stops under the belt? I'll call you around 3:00 if I need them.
Good idea, maybe 3 0r 4 of us could do that and they could use one of the layed off guys to do them.

jetset

pitch and toss
sendagain said:
"I know you've never seen the area, but you'll know it after today."
Some real motivational patter you guys get, after 97 years I expected some real gems, these are very similar to those used in the UK, is there perhaps a book with quotes for particular difficult situations handed out to new sups.
"consider this development"
"Its a lovely place, you might see somewhere you can take the wife this weekend"
"this was originally part of this route, we only took it off whilst you learnt the rest"
All used to convince me to add an area to my route.
The last one was by far the best given I had been apparently learning the rest of my route for 9 months.

A

Anonymous Fredly

"Its only 10 stops..." of course you have to drive
25 minutes to the delivery spot, 25 more to deliever,
and another 25 minutes back to the center..

I say, "what about the other 8 drivers that drove
past this spot twice today"... "give each two stops
and it'll be done without a second thought"

DS

Fenderbender
jetset said:
:confused:1 150 "whilst I would be concerned if I was sending this out with a driver of lesser ability".

Jetsets sup wins the award the the most original way of assuring a driver that even though he`s way over dispatched,with his experience,the stops will almost fall of the truck.Nonsense of course,but it sounds really good.`:rolleyes:

"Take one for the team." or "Atleast you'll make some overtime today." Bottom line: Whenever the sup gives you a pep talk, you know you're in for a long day. I just take it one stop at a time, and when I'm done I come back to the building.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
"You need to manage the buk, dont let the bulk manage you"
"Its all built in to your time allowance."
"They go off quick"
"Preload has them all lined up stop for stop"