Hired as a Seasonal Helper in Massachusetts

PT Car Washer

It is common to cut helpers when the volume does not come in as projected. You have no guarantee of hours or days worked. We will call you when we need you. Sorry, but I would suggest you keep looking for another job.

capers8

Ok but what about my question about being cut after my second day of work. I was supposed to be with this driver the rest of the season but today got call that supposedly it was too light. Light my ass driver probably didn't like me for some reason and talked .
Your insecurity is embarrassing. Grow a pair. I was told not to come in today too, as well as all the other helpers I work with. You'll get a call Monday and you'll develop a routine with the driver soon. Have some patience.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Ok but what about my question about being cut after my second day of work. I was supposed to be with this driver the rest of the season but today got call that supposedly it was too light. Light my ass driver probably didn't like me for some reason and talked :censored2:.
Maybe he did.....it happens. Deal with it.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Ok but what about my question about being cut after my second day of work. I was supposed to be with this driver the rest of the season but today got call that supposedly it was too light. Light my ass driver probably didn't like me for some reason and talked :censored2:.

Waahhhh?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
What is uh oh mean????

They only give4 or 5 hours a day. The driver said wasn't up to him but the helper coordinator. But like I said my goal is to bust my ass to get in full time or at least part time after peak. As far as the FedEx route I am a partner in the ground business I own. Ups doesn't have to know that

UPS knows all!!!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Is the company that you are a part of an LLC? Is there any way that UPS could identify you through the name of the company? I would think that if you were offered a permanent position with UPS the only way that it would not be a conflict is if you worked inside the hub. A UPS driver owning even a minority interest in a FedEx Ground route would be grounds for instant termination.

How do figure this Einstein?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

They found out your FedX

new_upserMA

Seems like there is a real negative perception of seasonal helpers on here. Reading thru the threads, it 'can' happen that a seasonal helper can be hired on after the season as a P/T package handler or another position but almost never does primarily because of what is written in the union contract which states that the end date is Dec 24 and other rules so I guess it isn't me. BTW, I am not slow, don't complain, actually wear pants that fit properly, show up on time, make sure I am paying attention to when the driver gives me instructions etc... but as with any job there are politics involved and such.. Sure, they will tell you you can re apply on UPS jobs.com after the New Year and maybe you will get a call sometime in the next 2-4 years...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Seems like there is a real negative perception of seasonal helpers on here. Reading thru the threads, it 'can' happen that a seasonal helper can be hired on after the season as a P/T package handler or another position but almost never does primarily because of what is written in the union contract which states that the end date is Dec 24 and other rules so I guess it isn't me. BTW, I am not slow, don't complain, actually wear pants that fit properly, show up on time, make sure I am paying attention to when the driver gives me instructions etc... but as with any job there are politics involved and such.. Sure, they will tell you you can re apply on UPS jobs.com after the New Year and maybe you will get a call sometime in the next 2-4 years...

The Union has no say in who gets retained after Peak.

PT Car Washer

Under the new contract I believe helpers can be used through the second full week in January. There have been some really good helpers used. Sometimes it is the drivers that are just too independent to effectively use a helper. For the most part it is a thankless job.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
How much fun would it be to post stories of efficient and reliable helpers?

new_upserMA

Something can ha9i
Under the new contract I believe helpers can be used through the second full week in January. There have been some really good helpers used. Sometimes it is the drivers that are just too independent to effectively use a helper. For the most part it is a thankless job.
Asked too many questions

Yes that was it asked too many questions to make sure I was delivering to the right place. I was being too conscientious as the helper coordinator said. Silly me I am supposed to do the job as good as the driver with24 years experience as he told me I thought we got along but obviously he is the type that is nice to ur face and talks :censored2: when giving feedback. I thought only people from the west coast were into that fake facade then talk :censored2: about someone
Asking too many questions especially on delivering a package to a 5000 square foot house with many "front doors" or when the porch isn't easily viewable from the street I guess I am too stupid or slow for ups.
Since it is agreed that a seasonal helpers chances of becoming perm or getting work with ups after the season is less than 0.1% as the consensus here is I figure why bother I can just help out one of my FedEx drivers and save $90 a day

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Something can ha9i

Yes that was it asked too many questions to make sure I was delivering to the right place. I was being too conscientious as the helper coordinator said. Silly me I am supposed to do the job as good as the driver with24 years experience as he told me I thought we got along but obviously he is the type that is nice to ur and talks :censored2: when giving feedback.
Asking too many questions especially on delivering a package to a 5000 square foot house with many "front doors" I guess I am too stupid or slow for ups
Should I reply to you, or the large chip on your shoulder? Get over it. Sitting at home waiting to possibly be called to work? Screw that nonsense....there are plenty of other jobs out there.

new_upserMA

Should I reply to you, or the large chip on your shoulder? Get over it. Sitting at home waiting to possibly be called to work? Screw that nonsense....there are plenty of other jobs out there.

You are right read what. I wrote. I am an owner in a FedEx HD llc. I also believe in blunt honesty even if the news is less than nice.