Hiring process

MAKAVELI

I have to agree, I agreed with his former statement, but in Cali SFA may make a difference, I'm happy to be corrected Mak.
I'm not saying it will change it, but it will be at least get the attention of the DM. It does take a large group of drivers with balls to be brutally honest to a DM.

Last edited:

floridays

I'm not saying it will change it, but it will be at least get the attention of the MD. It does take a large group of drivers with balls to be brutally honest to a MD.
Agreed, I wish it would, but we both know it won't. I may have been around longer than you. My experience, SfA changes nothing. I forgot you were in California. I agree SFA may mean something in Cali. Take care brother.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I was just wondering how everybody else's turnover is at their station. We're hovering around 35% since Dec 26 of 2017...and just lost 2 more people in the last week.

At what point does Sr. Mgmt/Director/Memphis look at the turnover and make some changes?

Such as?

MassWineGuy

The background check can take a really long time, as in many weeks. Be patient. They wouldn’t have paid for your DOT physical if they didn’t want to hire you.

59 Dano

Are you REALLY that clueless? Condescension by management would be an excellent starting point.

You're assuming that there is something that a senior can do --in a flaming hot job market-- to stop the turnover that is common in a flaming hot job market.

There's also the assumption that anything a courier doesn't like is something that can be cured by a manager. My suggestion to those who believe that is to go into management and make those changes. A lot of you guys complain about the quality of those who go into management, but those who are so freaking cocksure that they have all the answers and do all the complaining never have the 'nads to go into management and make a difference.

All talk.

It will be fine

You're assuming that there is something that a senior can do --in a flaming hot job market-- to stop the turnover that is common in a flaming hot job market.

There's also the assumption that anything a courier doesn't like is something that can be cured by a manager. My suggestion to those who believe that is to go into management and make those changes. A lot of you guys complain about the quality of those who go into management, but those who are so freaking cocksure that they have all the answers and do all the complaining never have the 'nads to go into management and make a difference.

All talk.
Anyone that’s worked for Fedex for more than a month has worked for multiple managers. They clearly have leeway in how they implement policy and how they treat people. Some things are obviously beyond their control but some seem to enjoy lying. I work out of multiple terminals and have had mangers tell me things are “company wide” when I know they aren’t.

59 Dano

Anyone that’s worked for Fedex for more than a month has worked for multiple managers. They clearly have leeway in how they implement policy and how they treat people. Some things are obviously beyond their control but some seem to enjoy lying. I work out of multiple terminals and have had mangers tell me things are “company wide” when I know they aren’t.

We're talking Express, not RPS.

59 Dano

Two completely different animals. A successful Express manager would be extremely frustrated at Ground. A successful Ground manager would struggle to do a fair job at Express. Anecdotally, and based on a small sample size, you aren't likely to be happy leaving a management position at one for the other.

MAKAVELI

Two completely different animals. A successful Express manager would be extremely frustrated at Ground. A successful Ground manager would struggle to do a fair job at Express. Anecdotally, and based on a small sample size, you aren't likely to be happy leaving a management position at one for the other.
Actually any " successful " manager should be able to adapt to either.

59 Dano

Actually any " successful " manager should be able to adapt to either.

Except that the two operations are entirely different. It's like expecting good McDonald's managers to succeed at a nice full service steakhouse and vice versa.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Except that the two operations are entirely different. It's like expecting good McDonald's managers to succeed at a nice full service steakhouse and vice versa.
If they are actually good managers, they WILL succeed.

More likely, your style and definition of managing is aberrant.

59 Dano

If they are actually good managers, they WILL succeed.

More likely, your style and definition of managing is aberrant.

It's the same as assuming that a courier who does a great job on one route will do a great job on any route.

Most likely, the operations are completely different, as are the cultures.