Hiring process

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
It's the same as assuming that a courier who does a great job on one route will do a great job on any route.

Most likely, the operations are completely different, as are the cultures.
So.....management skills are idiosyncratic, and therefore if you are in management, your applicable skills are unique to that business, and don't translate to other industries???

Not totally sure, but I don't believe the business world agrees with you.

vantexan

It's the same as assuming that a courier who does a great job on one route will do a great job on any route.

Most likely, the operations are completely different, as are the cultures.
A courier who does a great job on one route will most likely do well on most routes. Some routes will take longer to learn. And some routes will require more hustle. Not everyone is willing to hustle or is built to take it day after day. And as we get older we slow down. Fact of life. It'll happen to you too someday.

overflowed

What is your position at Fedex currently?
Yes, BOT I think is correct , what do you do now? I was a swing the whole time at Fedex. Not a big deal to some of us. Questions? Are you in a large city? Small town with lots of rural routes? Answer and we can help. I think that's we most of us bother to post here still.

McFeely

Huge Member
Ok Wow ! PT AM swing driver M-friend was offered to me

Honestly, at least you'll get swing pay (which still isn't worth it to me) to be treated as such. Our PTers in my station get moved all around daily and are asked to work split shifts, etc. but all get regular courier pay.

And you're M-friend, so that's also a bonus depending on how you feel about working Saturdays.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Honestly, at least you'll get swing pay (which still isn't worth it to me) to be treated as such. Our PTers in my station get moved all around daily and are asked to work split shifts, etc. but all get regular courier pay.
Happened at my station too and most likely still does. Ever how much money Fred saves by doing this? It’s bull:censored2:.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
It's an interview position that you must resign from in order to bid on any other position, making for a complicated transition that will typically be obstructed by management.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
So.....management skills are idiosyncratic, and therefore if you are in management, your applicable skills are unique to that business, and don't translate to other industries???

I said nothing of the sort, and you know that.

Managers aren't commodities who are interchangeable from job to job.

I have no idea why you're trying to convince me that a good Express manager/senior would make a good Ground manager/senior, and vice versa. The few I knew who switched (mostly from Express to Ground) haven't enjoyed the same success since their switch. I'm going by what they've said and what they've done and I'm going to give that more credence than theories conjured up on this board.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
A courier who does a great job on one route will most likely do well on most routes. Some routes will take longer to learn. And some routes will require more hustle. Not everyone is willing to hustle or is built to take it day after day. And as we get older we slow down. Fact of life. It'll happen to you too someday.

Thanks for the lecture.

Oldfart

It's an interview position that you must resign from in order to bid on any other position, making for a complicated transition that will typically be obstructed by management.
You don't have to resign in order to bid. You will have downgrade to take another position. If you had to resign before you bid, what happens if you don't have the seniority to get the position?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
You don't have to resign in order to bid. You will have downgrade to take another position. If you had to resign before you bid, what happens if you don't have the seniority to get the position?
I speak from personal experience. I had to submit a letter of resignation from my swing position in order to bid on a fixed route. My manager held it until I won the route/position. He would have destroyed it if I were not the successful bid.

See?! You DON'T know everything.

vantexan

I speak from personal experience. I had to submit a letter of resignation from my swing position in order to bid on a fixed route. My manager held it until I won the route/position. He would have destroyed it if I were not the successful bid.

See?! You DON'T know everything.
The two times I was a swing I got out of it by transferring. Definitely a position they try to hold you in if possible.