Hoffa changes rules in middle of the game

Ron Carey lives on

So no honest debate about contract? No insults, just facts? Convince me guys! Sell this contract! Im sure there are people on here that have been around for a while. Negotiated, bargained and represented bodies of employees??

Sent using BrownCafe App

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You're in the minority.
It doesn't change the issue.
Hired off the street?
Figures.
The people who built this company were for the most part were hired off the street.
This company was built from 1907 through 1976 and after that it has just got bigger.
All the legacy and culture of UPS that everybody talks about on here was built almost exclusively by people "off the street".

10 point

The people who built this company were for the most part were hired off the street.
This company was built from 1907 through 1976 and after that it has just got bigger.
All the legacy and culture of UPS that everybody talks about on here was built almost exclusively by people "off the street".
Not anymore and hasn't been for several years.
Full time jobs were filled heavily off the street back then (50's-70's) but isn't the case now and thanks to this contract there will be even less opportunities. In the early to mid 90's it was 2 for 1. Now its 6 for 1 but advancement is slower unless a bunch of folks retire from driving.
The issue is that full time off the street hires cannot relate to the patience and perseverance it takes to do your time at UPS in the hope that the full time job will be attainable and available after all the years of double shifts to make ends meet.

I used to one of those people that would be a little hard on the off the street hires. After a while we all blend together. If you spend time in the trenches (operation) you have paid your dues.

Ron Carey lives on

Wow, its amazing that you guys would rather discuss internal IBT politics, and who is right tdu or old guard. No takers on a honest debate on this contract. Have you read it?

Sent using BrownCafe App

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Wow, its amazing that you guys would rather discuss internal IBT politics, and who is right tdu or old guard. No takers on a honest debate on this contract. Have you read it?

Except for the pay increases, which were only O.K., this is the weakest contract in my 26 years.

Part timers got it worse IMHO.

And worse than them, the locals that held out got totally screwed over.

Ron Carey lives on

Yea, the things that are going to hurt the utility drivers and part-timers is staggering given this company's profits. The 9.5 language is also meant to address staffing. Why would they ever have to hire any new drivers in smaller hubs if the utility drivers aren't eligible for excessive overtime grievances. You know the dispatchers will totally slam those people. Its going to be a long five years

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The issue is that full time off the street hires cannot relate to the patience and perseverance it takes to do your time at UPS in the hope that the full time job will be attainable and available after all the years of double shifts to make ends meet.

This is true but is of little consequence to me.

10 point

Yea, the things that are going to hurt the utility drivers and part-timers is staggering given this company's profits. The 9.5 language is also meant to address staffing. Why would they ever have to hire any new drivers in smaller hubs if the utility drivers aren't eligible for excessive overtime grievances. You know the dispatchers will totally slam those people. Its going to be a long five years

Sent using BrownCafe App
Are you sure that the lower seniority drivers {less than four yrs} can't file a 9.5 grvnce?
They can't get on the 95 list but they asked the BA if they cld still file 9.5s and he said he didn't know.
They've only had about a yr to figure this issue out and they're still trying to find out if the 3 in 5 day "workweek" issue is a rolling five days or mon-fri, tue-sat! What the heck.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Are you sure that the lower seniority drivers {less than four yrs} can't file a 9.5 grvnce?
They can't get on the 95 list but they asked the BA if they cld still file 9.5s and he said he didn't know.
They've only had about a yr to figure this issue out and they're still trying to find out if the 3 in 5 day "workweek" issue is a rolling five days or mon-fri, tue-sat! What the heck.
That's the scary part.
As you already stated, having already had a nine month period preceding this contract being imposed, you would think they would have been ready to roll it out?
Not much chance the company will try and exploit or reinterpret any wiggle room in this 9.5 language?
Buckle up and enjoy the ride.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You do know that there is not a lot of spelling required to drive a truck?

But seriously, if every one in the teamsters thought only of themselves, that would pretty much end our union.

I have been upfront about the fact that I am a Teamster by default and that I did not decide to work at UPS to satisfy my life-long desire to become a Teamster. Call me a Me-ster-----I couldn't care less.