Homeless and Working

First of all, I am close to quitting and then taking the "Brooks Was Here" way out.

IDK, my first week homeless wasnt easy, but it wasn't the hardest thing I've experienced. Now, my car has stopped working, ending my furiously determined job search, and my washing routine, as well as being able to shelter myself from this Sacramento heat. The only relief from the heat comes at night, which is when I work at the Hub.

I am coming up on my 2nd year as a sorter and I am going to keep going as long as I can. But the heat, hunger, boredom, walking and having to search for bathrooms is really going to start taking a toll. Somebody at work already mentioned how dark I've become lol.

What would you do in this situation. Would you quit use your remaining dough on a bottle of night train and begin to use your legs as toilets? Or would you continue to struggle?

My car is really far from work, so I'm thinking about sleeping in a parking lot down the street from the hub from now on.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
First of all, I am close to quitting and then taking the "Brooks Was Here" way out.

IDK, my first week homeless wasnt easy, but it wasn't the hardest thing I've experienced. Now, my car has stopped working, ending my furiously determined job search, and my washing routine, as well as being able to shelter myself from this Sacramento heat. The only relief from the heat comes at night, which is when I work at the Hub.

I am coming up on my 2nd year as a sorter and I am going to keep going as long as I can. But the heat, hunger, boredom, walking and having to search for bathrooms is really going to start taking a toll. Somebody at work already mentioned how dark I've become lol.

What would you do in this situation. Would you quit use your remaining dough on a bottle of night train and begin to use your legs as toilets? Or would you continue to struggle?

My car is really far from work, so I'm thinking about sleeping in a parking lot down the street from the hub from now on.
You need moral support. Is there anyone you work with that you can crash at their place til you get back in your feet?

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
Keep ya head up. Last thing you need to do is cut off your source of income. Look for churches and shelters. Talk to someone you trust at work. Their are alot resources amongst employees of you get to know them.

Last edited:

rickyb

hey ive been watching a lot of ppl sleeping in cars vids.

black out all ur windows at night. keyword black. park in areas with expensive apartments. ppl park at the beach here. only park when your ready to sleep. follow parking rules. stay at the same spot 24 hours max. have at least 7 spots to rotate on. have mace and a knife. some guys have bars on their windows. car surveillance on the roof is good too.

I can sleep in my 5 foot matrix by putting pillows / blankets on the centre console to stretch my feet out on.

don't quit your job.

watdaflock?

Are you part of the union and have been paying fees for these past two years? It would be very nice if some of your local brothers could help you out.....

IMO- Stay positive! You're still employed. Is the car fixable within a month? If not, sell it. Use the money to get a bike.

Look this place up-

Next Move

4516 Parker Ave, Sacramento, CA

Hope this helps.....seriously.

browndevil

Are you part of the union and have been paying fees for these past two years? It would be very nice if some of your local brothers could help you out.....

IMO- Stay positive! You're still employed. Is the car fixable within a month? If not, sell it. Use the money to get a bike.

Look this place up-

Next Move

4516 Parker Ave, Sacramento, CA

Hope this helps.....seriously.
Local 150?

UrFellowUpser

I was homeless for 4 months one time. I would work the overnight shift as a baggage handler at greyhound. Eat my free meals at the chruch and sleep at the park or use my bus pass and sleep the whole bus route on several routes until i was able to get a cheap apartment to move in. But i wouldnt quit the only source of income your getting but working at UPS and being homeless gots to be :censored2:ing hard

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Get the hell out of there man.

Spend your money on a greyhound ticket and go somewhere to start fresh with a low cost of living.

Agree with that!

Talk to management, and union. See if they can transfer your job. If you can get them to transfer you over to the midwest (it's cheap here. :) ), then you'd have both a job, and a much better chance of finding a cheap place to crash.

Cash the clunker, get a bus ticket, and get someplace you can better survive on PT UPS wages.

Good luck to you. I'll be sending a prayer your way, tonight.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Crisis Text Line
Text 741741 from anywhere in the USA to text with a trained Crisis Counselor.

Every texter is connected with a Crisis Counselor, a real-life human being trained to bring texters from a hot moment to a cool calm through active listening and collaborative problem solving. All of Crisis Text Line's Crisis Counselors are volunteers, donating their time to helping people in crisis.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline 1-800-273-8255
The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a national network of local crisis centers that provides free and confidential emotional support to people in suicidal crisis or emotional distress 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We're committed to improving crisis services and advancing suicide prevention by empowering individuals, advancing professional best practices, and building awareness.

TxTawny

This sounds crazy but if you get a gym membership, approximately $30 dollars a month, you have a place to take a shower every day.