Homeless and Working

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Get real. Do not tell HR anything.
This would be good PR and if someone is trying this hard, emotion would induce them to help out.

What would be the disadvantage in getting HR involved?

I’ve learned to listen and respect your feedback.
I’m sincerely interested.

If it is just the possibility to getting in touch with HR, that is a given.

browntroll

talk to management and coworkers, alot of us complain about each others work habits but
end of they day we are all human and have each others back. i had coworkers give me rides to work and not ask
for a dime even when i offered to give them gas money im talking about a month straight (car/money troubles).
theres a few of my coworkers now drivers that have been through same situation and heard them say they used to sleep
in the hub parking lot.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
First of all, I am close to quitting and then taking the "Brooks Was Here" way out.

IDK, my first week homeless wasnt easy, but it wasn't the hardest thing I've experienced. Now, my car has stopped working, ending my furiously determined job search, and my washing routine, as well as being able to shelter myself from this Sacramento heat. The only relief from the heat comes at night, which is when I work at the Hub.

I am coming up on my 2nd year as a sorter and I am going to keep going as long as I can. But the heat, hunger, boredom, walking and having to search for bathrooms is really going to start taking a toll. Somebody at work already mentioned how dark I've become lol.

What would you do in this situation. Would you quit use your remaining dough on a bottle of night train and begin to use your legs as toilets? Or would you continue to struggle?

My car is really far from work, so I'm thinking about sleeping in a parking lot down the street from the hub from now on.
Join the Navy. Put your name on the driving list. You keep your seniority.

Heffalump

I'm in the west coast also friend and I've been homeless with my little girl but I kept pushing and found a second job which will most definitely feed you while ups income can help with traveling expenses. Your car? If it's the starter or maybe even a simple battery check it may still be perfectly driveable. I know it may be hard as a prideful person (as most of us at ups are) but you have to speak up. If I heard a guy on my line was having a hard time Forsure he can sleep in my van whenever! And most importantly DONT GIVE UP! You will be able to kick your feet up and relax but you have to keep pushing! Westcoast cities are no longer average living conditions so you have to think outside the box. GOOD LUCK BROTHER. MY BLESSINGS.

Shift 2

First of all, I am close to quitting and then taking the "Brooks Was Here" way out.

IDK, my first week homeless wasnt easy, but it wasn't the hardest thing I've experienced. Now, my car has stopped working, ending my furiously determined job search, and my washing routine, as well as being able to shelter myself from this Sacramento heat. The only relief from the heat comes at night, which is when I work at the Hub.

I am coming up on my 2nd year as a sorter and I am going to keep going as long as I can. But the heat, hunger, boredom, walking and having to search for bathrooms is really going to start taking a toll. Somebody at work already mentioned how dark I've become lol.

What would you do in this situation. Would you quit use your remaining dough on a bottle of night train and begin to use your legs as toilets? Or would you continue to struggle?

My car is really far from work, so I'm thinking about sleeping in a parking lot down the street from the hub from now on.
A friend of mine went through this and told our safety supervisor about his situation and he was given a promotion to supervisor with a raise of the full $5 and was also sheltered with an somewhat decent apartment. They paid his first 3 months and last 3 months rent

rod

Retired 22 years
United way should be able to help with this. UPS is one of their cornerstone companies. Definitely worth a shot
We had a driver who’s middle aged son tried to get some help from United Way and couldn’t. The driver made it a point to make sure everyone heard his story every year at UW time. Our centers contributions dropped to near zero.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
We had a driver who’s middle aged son tried to get some help from United Way and couldn’t. The driver made it a point to make sure everyone heard his story every year at UW time. Our centers contributions dropped to near zero.
No joke, I had a family member in need as well. Nothing from UW. Eff them.

rod

Retired 22 years
Honestly if I was homeless in California I’d hop a freight train, hitch-hike or walk to a state a person could afford to live in. Go to the Midwest or one of the southern states. P.S.— you don’t want to be homeless in Mn. In the winter.

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation

Tell us why you'd think of leaving UPS when right now you just got one of the largest raises in the country. $3 more an hour and a huge fat retro check coming.

I'll buy your smart phone. How much, can you make change of a $1,000?