Hope everyone gets it now

UPSTeamster Pragmatist

Requiring 2/3rd no vote under 50% participation when two thirds of the voters are non-voting part-timers should make everyone realize our situation. Why didn't either side advertise this, they just forgot about that little detail? Why do you think it was put in the constitution in the first place (decades ago). The writing is on the wall.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Art XII sec. 2) If less than half of the eligible members cast valid ballots, then a two-thirds (2/3) vote of those voting shall be required to reject such final offer and to authorize a strike. The failure of such membership to reject the final offer and to authorize a strike as herein provided shall require the negotiating committee to accept such final offer or such additional provisions as can be negotiated by it. Once a strike is called, a contract thereafter may be accepted by a majority vote.

They are trying to use this article to :censored2: us with a bad contract so they don't have to go back and actually do work on our behalf! If they had done their job correctly the first time (negotiate with our best interests in mind) this would have all been moot.

Instead Hoffa Jr. said screw the UPS members! Just like he did in 2013 to some supplements!

mikejonesjr

25 years ago part timers made an actual wage, likely $20 an hour in today's market. They had a reason to vote. That rule needs to be out of here.

Benben

How many full time employees voted?

How many voted for a strike authorization?

Dulce Bombón

I'm Legal Gringo! UPS Latina Heat! Haters ❤ me!
Requiring 2/3rd no vote under 50% participation when two thirds of the voters are non-voting part-timers should make everyone realize our situation. Why didn't either side advertise this, they just forgot about that little detail? Why do you think it was put in the constitution in the first place (decades ago). The writing is on the wall.

Well, some of the Members are saying now, that it was our responsability to find out before voting. What do you think?

Superteeth2478

It was not a final offer, it was not relevant!

Were you ever told it was the final offer?
I get your anger on this, I'm angry about it as well. But I'm also all about following the literal language in a contract, and can see why this happened. I can also see how they can logically call the offer presented to the membership to vote on the final offer. Think about it. They go back and forth at the negotiating table. When both sides decide they aren't going to give or take any more (for the time being), they deem it to be the final offer. Granted, the membership will see it as the first offer, as it's the first offer presented to them to vote on. This huge disconnect between the membership's understanding of a final offer and the negotiating committees' and UPS's understanding of a final offer is what is causing this confusion. It's also intentional.

Benben

Granted, the membership will see it as the first offer, as it's the first offer presented to them to vote on. This huge disconnect between the membership's understanding of a final offer and the negotiating committees' and UPS's understanding of a final offer is what is causing this confusion. It's also intentional.

Then what is the precedence? What was done before. the '97 strike. How many offers? Has a contract offer ever been voted down and another was offered up? That is the key, imo.

Superteeth2478

Then what is the precedence? What was done before. the '97 strike. How many offers? Has a contract offer ever been voted down and another was offered up? That is the key, imo.
That was a leg I was standing on myself. I researched the '97 strike in-depth, hoping that there was a precedent set then that contradicted what happened this time around and contradicted the constitution in general. It didn't happen. Nothing was ever put to the vote in '97. UPS made a "last, best, and final" offer to the negotiating committee because they weren't making any headway on something that the negotiating committee would be willing to put to the vote, and Carey didn't want to put that offer to the vote, either. They just went on strike very suddenly on August 4th, 3 days after the contract expired (the strike didn't happen on August 1st at midnight because they agreed on an extension). So that leg was taken out from under me.

See, what's funny is that some high veteran employees at the hub I work at even mis-remember there being other offers being put to the vote and being rejected, and that there was a first, second, and then a third and final offer. Perhaps it's really just mis-remembering. Perhaps it's the Mandela Effect in action. Who knows.

Chukie804

Management told me I'd never be a driver

Later in the same article unfortunately it says any kind of contract dealing with a company wide contract such as ours that is presented to vote on by the membership is effectively a final offer. We didn't realize and our leadership didnt feel the need to educate us

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba

Any offer that’s put to vote by the membership is officially the final offer. It doesn’t have to be advertised as such. Any previous offers just go as far as the negotiation committee and they rejected and renegotiated. We weren’t privy to the closed door negotiations and don’t know how many offers went back and forth but once an offer is accepted in the handshake and passes the 2man vote and is put out to the members. Final offer. Ron Carey never accepted or handshook there offers and ups wasn’t budging so it was considered a final offer and Ron called a strike rather than a vote.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
52B8C5AF-468C-47C2-B5F4-F1932511FCCE.gif
We get it
No you don’t! We need 50 more thread about the same subject!