Hours of service limitations.

throwbackk

We did our diad training and it says I'm only allowed 60 hours per week to work, including other jobs. When I search it on dot website it says drivers can work 70. The reason I ask is because I have a part time job that I work 10 hours per week with. Come peak time I'll get my 60 plus 10. And I would rather not be in violation. Anyone know what the real rules are?

Last edited:

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
You're a driver AND you have a second job? Tell your other job you'll see them in 2015. You'll be so exhausted from UPS that all you'll want to do is sleep.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
We did our diad training and it says I'm only allowed 60 hours per week to work, including other jobs. When I search it on dot website it says drivers can work 70. The reason I ask is because I have a part time job that I work 10 hours per week with. Come peak time I'll get my 60 plus 10. And I would rather not be in violation. Anyone know what the real rules are?
You can only work 70 if you're an over the road driver that basically works 7 days a week. Here, you are subject to 60 hours.

If your part time job is after your UPS job, you're OK until possibly Friday.

After Thursday, you could theoretically have 56 hours worked. 4 days at 12 hours here and 4 days at 2 hours other job.

On Friday, you cannot drive after working 4 hours. You have reached your 60.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
How do they calculate driving time in the 14 hour rule? Is it only the time the truck is moving? Sorting and delivering, am-pm time separate?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
How do they calculate driving time in the 14 hour rule? Is it only the time the truck is moving? Sorting and delivering, am-pm time separate?

14 working hours, WITH a lunch included, so you can only work 13 hours. Of those 13, you can drive no more than 11.

Once a week or month (I forget) they can extend you, IF there is an unforeseen issue, they can extend you 2 hours, but that's it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
How do people not know these laws yet? It's simple really.

14 hours after your start time you must be off the clock end of story.

In feeders they may actually inact the 16 hour rule every now and then. But I've been told a few times as far as ups package car is concerned 14 hours is our limit.
If Im on the road for 14 hours.....I will give you the same answer as I give my Sup.
Ive wont be in tomorrow,no excuse to be on the road that long. Hire some people!

UPS4Life

The 70 hour rule is based off 8 days and 60 is based off 7 days. Ups as a company follows the 60 hour rule.

You only get an extension on your 14 OR 11 if there is an unforeseen circumstance like a freak storm that you are unaware of. Example if you leave point A to return to your home base and know you only have 3 hours left and normally it takes 3 and it's snowing you know your not going to make it so you should not be given an extension. Not saying they won't try to give you one.

In all reality though we have people who work a lot of hours during the week and then dj on the weekends. Not saying that is right either or have any idea what would happen if they got in an accident.

Like somebody else said I'm sure after working 12-13 hours during peak and driving to work let's say 30 minutes so that's another hour and for me to get ready not rushing 45 minutes roughly you're looking at almost 16 hours. Where are you going to have time to work unless it's on the weekend?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The 70 hour rule is based off 8 days and 60 is based off 7 days. Ups as a company follows the 60 hour rule.

You only get an extension on your 14 OR 11 if there is an unforeseen circumstance like a freak storm that you are unaware of. Example if you leave point A to return to your home base and know you only have 3 hours left and normally it takes 3 and it's snowing you know your not going to make it so you should not be given an extension. Not saying they won't try to give you one.

In all reality though we have people who work a lot of hours during the week and then dj on the weekends. Not saying that is right either or have any idea what would happen if they got in an accident.

Like somebody else said I'm sure after working 12-13 hours during peak and driving to work let's say 30 minutes so that's another hour and for me to get ready not rushing 45 minutes roughly you're looking at almost 16 hours. Where are you going to have time to work unless it's on the weekend?

Sent using BrownCafe App
The worst offenders in my experience are supervisors. They come in at 5-6 am and leave at 10 at night.

UPSGUY72

Are you driving at your other job , if not then no issue

That's not correct. If the op is getting paid for the other job it doesn't matter what the job is it counts toward the 14 and 60. If the op was volunteering and not getting paid it wouldn't be an issue.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
You can be on the clock for more than 16 hours. It's just an emergency extension for the once a week, 14 hour rule. A few years back, a bunch of us ran into a major snow storm going to our first leg hub. I sat on the interstate for over three hours on the way to my destination. On the way back, I had to pull over over 70 miles from my home hub because my 11 hour drive time was up. I waited two or three hours for a ride. When it was all said and done, I eventually clocked out being on the clock for nearly 19 hours. Another driver logged 22 hours. The extra time is considered off-duty. But yes, in emergency conditions, you can go over 16.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
How do people not know these laws yet? It's simple really.

14 hours after your start time you must be off the clock end of story.

The diad training mentioned off by 12 hours driving or 14 overall.

I was wondering how the 12 is defined. I might work 12, but I'm not driving the whole time.