How bad is UPS management retirement that they work during Peak Season?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
managing is crazy fun when you can go home after 8 hours every day

when you're stuck there all day because some DM wants 0 missed, or somebody got into an accident, not as fun

brett636

We also have quite a few retired supervisors/managers come back as peak help. They are hired through a temp agency so their pension rules aren't violated, and those I have spoken too say the company offered them good money to help through peak while others say they just want to help ensure the company that provided so well for them continues to do so in retirement. I can imagine some of these former management people get bored and run out of things to do in retirement so why not work a couple months out of the year and make some extra coin while they do it?

Dr.Brownz

There is an upper level management guy around these parts that said he was going to retire back when I was a HELPER! He delayed and delayed for years until last year he officially "Retired" only to come back as a helper coordinator for peak. The only thing I can think of is maybe they know how to abuse the UPS credit cards to the max without getting caught since he was coming from out of town to do this so I'm sure UPS paid for the lodging and travel and all that.

dudebro

managing is crazy fun when you can go home after 8 hours every day

when you're stuck there all day because some DM wants 0 missed, or somebody got into an accident, not as fun

This is the biggest reason. Walking in, and simply running the operation as you see fit, and then leaving in 8 hours, is actually fun.

What you have is the good part of the job, the high pay, the hours fixed, and if anyone wants to bust your chops about numbers you can tell them to go blank themselves.

Most people in mgmt don't love chasing numbers to the point of stupidity either.

UPSGUY72

The reason I ask, is that for years, we had an absolute idiot in our center that held various job titles. Oncar, Sales, Personnel...Let's call him Bobo.

Bobo kept telling everyone he was going to retire. Every year. Finally, about a year ago Bobo did retire, and thank god! One of his last jobs was as helper coordinator and he was like a bad helper magnet. We had our very worst helpers the whole time he was put in charge.

Anyway, to the point, for some reason Bobo is actually working here again! I can't believe it. I don't know what his actual purpose is, but, our center is behind on deliveries and he is doing a few rural stops out of his personal vehicle.

Is management retirement that bad? I mean seriously. What in the world would bring this bozo back to us like a recurring case of the clap? Isn't there some financial conflict with retiring and then coming back to work? What can we do? Help!

There was FT SUP that retired and in my area and they asked him to work peak as a driver.. It's free money they are collecting SS and their pension, 401K. Nothing wrong with a little extra money and having something to do....

New management personal don't get a pension the people that have been in management for years hve a pension...

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
re:management retirement.
Is pretty good, assuming they didn't lose a lot of money with a couple of divorces or made other bad life choices like tapping their 401K to loan money to deadbeat friends.
In any case, the "Retiree come on back" program (I forget the real name for it, I just read the email, laugh and hit delete) is good for some folks. If they are the type that gets bored easily, or doesn't have any hobbies and miss the adrenaline rush, coming back as helper coordinator or something similar pays really well.
So why not take advantage and pay for a really really good pile of Christmas gifts or a nice Florida trip to Disney and Universal in January?

xcessuv

Benhearb4
The reason I ask, is that for years, we had an absolute idiot in our center that held various job titles. Oncar, Sales, Personnel...Let's call him Bobo.

Bobo kept telling everyone he was going to retire. Every year. Finally, about a year ago Bobo did retire, and thank god! One of his last jobs was as helper coordinator and he was like a bad helper magnet. We had our very worst helpers the whole time he was put in charge.

Anyway, to the point, for some reason Bobo is actually working here again! I can't believe it. I don't know what his actual purpose is, but, our center is behind on deliveries and he is doing a few rural stops out of his personal vehicle.

Is management retirement that bad? I mean seriously. What in the world would bring this bozo back to us like a recurring case of the clap? Isn't there some financial conflict with retiring and then coming back to work? What can we do? Help!

xcessuv

Benhearb4
Bobo probably was in the "Union" and after the Central States needed their A@#$ wiped after forfeiting Billions of $$$ of retirement pensions for their members, UPS bailed them out. Stipulation was that the Union would have to pay the already management employees their Union pensions (Not what we were originally told). As a result, If Bobo worked in the Union for 15 years, Bobo won't see any of the $$$ for that union portion until Bobo turns 64. Screwed.....Double talk from high level management. Best part was that same year, the company tried to pass off that they had suffered considerably losses in profit and "no raises or MIP" that year! Imagine the outrage!

clean hairy

I know around here they ask anyone who has been retired less than 5 years to come back and work peak. As far as I know no one ever has. Apparently the Union turns a blind eye to it. I put the word out that if they would let me sheet on paper, load my own truck, let my truck run all day, jam the locks on all the doors so they wouldn't lock and guarantee me only 8 hour days I might think about it. I never heard from them.
And, to disable all electronics, AND not to say a word about running over the previous day....

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation

All retirees should go back at peak to show loyalty to the company that treated them so well during their careers. Bobo, Car Washers, Pre Loaders. Anyone who retired from UPS, whether you're financially set or not. It's your duty to God, Country & Company to go back and give back to UPS. Even if the money is not that good. At the very least. You owe UPS your unwavering loyalty.