How bad is UPS management retirement that they work during Peak Season?

SDN

The reason I ask, is that for years, we had an absolute idiot in our center that held various job titles. Oncar, Sales, Personnel...Let's call him Bobo.

Bobo kept telling everyone he was going to retire. Every year. Finally, about a year ago Bobo did retire, and thank god! One of his last jobs was as helper coordinator and he was like a bad helper magnet. We had our very worst helpers the whole time he was put in charge.

Anyway, to the point, for some reason Bobo is actually working here again! I can't believe it. I don't know what his actual purpose is, but, our center is behind on deliveries and he is doing a few rural stops out of his personal vehicle.

Is management retirement that bad? I mean seriously. What in the world would bring this bozo back to us like a recurring case of the clap? Isn't there some financial conflict with retiring and then coming back to work? What can we do? Help!

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Well, technically he's a seasonal now. If he's still doing supervisory work, of any kind as well, grieve it. You have nothing to lose, and maybe some nice holiday ca$h if you prevail.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The reason I ask, is that for years, we had an absolute idiot in our center that held various job titles. Oncar, Sales, Personnel...Let's call him Bobo.

Bobo kept telling everyone he was going to retire. Every year. Finally, about a year ago Bobo did retire, and thank god! One of his last jobs was as helper coordinator and he was like a bad helper magnet. We had our very worst helpers the whole time he was put in charge.

Anyway, to the point, for some reason Bobo is actually working here again! I can't believe it. I don't know what his actual purpose is, but, our center is behind on deliveries and he is doing a few rural stops out of his personal vehicle.

Is management retirement that bad? I mean seriously. What in the world would bring this bozo back to us like a recurring case of the clap? Isn't there some financial conflict with retiring and then coming back to work? What can we do? Help!
First off - HR hires the helpers ... the coordinator just hooks them up with drivers.
Several drivers work during peak season too.
Some people like working at UPS with no pressure on them.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Well, technically he's a seasonal now. If he's still doing supervisory work, of any kind as well, grieve it. You have nothing to lose, and maybe some nice holiday ca$h if you prevail.
How do you know he was rehired as Management.
I doubt it.
He was probably rehired as seasonal help.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The Helper Coordinator that we have had the last four peaks is a retired Center Manager. He was actually hired as an outside contractor, so technically, not a current UPS employee. He says he is being paid very well for coming in.

MC4YOU2

First off - HR hires the helpers ... the coordinator just hooks them up with drivers.
Several drivers work during peak season too.
Some people like working at UPS with no pressure on them.

Retired drivers do not work at UPS in the West. It would violate the pension terms.

dragracer66

same here at my building. a retired center manager came back last 4 years now. he got rehired from a agency and is making killer money for 3 months. the reason for the agency is so it doesn't affect his pension....

MC4YOU2

All I know about it is that in my area they can, and do, deny your pension for that month. Not worth the risk for a few bucks. I can see that for some it might be great. I could see that for a driver in their 50's. But most mgmt is a bit long in the tooth by the time they check out.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

All I know about it is that in my area can, and do, deny your pension for that month. Not worth the risk for a few bucks. I can see that for some it might be great. I could see that for a driver in their 50's. But most mgmt is a but long in the tooth by the time they check out.

UPS would not bring a driver back knowing it would violate the terms of their pension.

SDN

Well maybe this is a common practice. Having a retired management strikeout come back and deliver packages. He was absolutely no good in his other managerial tasks though. We had other far better people retire and they would have been better choices to come lend a hand. Either UPS really has no clue whatsoever, or Bobo's retired life is pretty much a disappointment that he needed to come cheer us all up with his ugly mug.

iowa boy

We have a retired on-car come back every year. He stays with his mom for two months while hes in town, and his 2 month stint at UPS pays for a 3 month vacation in Florida after he leaves us.