How can ups compete with fedex with its higher labor costs?

Johney

One peak season I shared an elevator with a DHL driver. We got to talking about the busy holidays. He said he was swamped for the day with 74 stops. He asked how many I had. It was 1245 and I had 50 something off already. He was seriously dumbfounded. Told him I had around 250 that day
Did he mention that your 250 stops were in a 5 square mile radius and his were in a 75 mile square radius?

JL 0513

stock-photo-boston-massachusetts-usa-july-fedex-ground-truck-and-fedex-express-truck-on-the-same-458198284.jpg

Any more questions?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And when customers ask "you are the third UPS driver to deliver here today" air driver, regular driver and the misload driver. Sometimes all at the same time. Weird but true.

The past two weeks I have arrived at a delivery stop just as the air driver was pulling up at the same stop. We walked in together and took some good natured ribbing from the customer.

JL 0513

The past two weeks I have arrived at a delivery stop just as the air driver was pulling up at the same stop. We walked in together and took some good natured ribbing from the customer.

Overlapping a morning air driver is of course a lot different than the fragmentation of FedEX. Our air drivers only go out with EAMs and air that the ground driver can't get off on time. I've done nearly 30 routes and have never come across an air driver delivering around the same time and place.

PT Car Washer

Overlapping a morning air driver is of course a lot different than the fragmentation of FedEX. Our air drivers only go out with EAMs and air that the ground driver can't get off on time. I've done nearly 30 routes and have never come across an air driver delivering around the same time and place.
I see it all the time. Most of the time the ground driver wants to get rid of his air stops so he can run everything in trace, bonus and get off work at 4:30 or 5:00.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I see it all the time. Most of the time the ground driver wants to get rid of his air stops so he can run everything in trace, bonus and get off work at 4:30 or 5:00.

We don't have that issue here.

Our air drivers are held at the bottom of the belt. I will look through them and offer to run stops that I know I can deliver on time. The PDS will sometimes tell me that he needs to justify their SPC and will keep the work.

csonicdog

We don't have that issue here.

Our air drivers are held at the bottom of the belt. I will look through them and offer to run stops that I know I can deliver on time. The PDS will sometimes tell me that he needs to justify their SPC and will keep the work.
At what hub do you work out where you have more than one air driver per center. I work in Anaheim out of Stadium Center and they laid off all but one of our air drivers over 10 years ago. Now If you need help with your air it's like asking management for a spare handcart.