How can ups compete with fedex with its higher labor costs?

JL 0513

At what hub do you work out where you have more than one air driver per center. I work in Anaheim out of Stadium Center and they laid off all but one of our air drivers over 10 years ago. Now If you need help with your air it's like asking management for a spare handcart.

Even for Saturday air? So the rest are ground drivers coming in Saturday? My center is about a 48 FT driver center and we have about 6 air drivers.

csonicdog

Yeah they chose the Anaheim hub to be the guineau pig for Saturday delivery. I was volunteering at the beginning for Sat and it was like 45 to 60 stops spanning over 6 to 7 routes. Now it's like 100 to 120 spanning over 3 to 4 routes with Saturday And regular NDA picking up Target and UPS stores if they are in your area.

DOK

Overlapping a morning air driver is of course a lot different than the fragmentation of FedEX. Our air drivers only go out with EAMs and air that the ground driver can't get off on time. I've done nearly 30 routes and have never come across an air driver delivering around the same time and place.
Isnt the company trying to do away with the "air driver"? Our center now has a hand full of FT drivers start early to run all the am's, then come back to the building and start their regular route.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Isnt the company trying to do away with the "air driver"? Our center now has a hand full of FT drivers start early to run all the am's, then come back to the building and start their regular route.
In our small center, air drivers continue to be hired to replace those that go full time. We didn't even have air drivers three years ago, only TCDs.

ManInBrown

Now If you need help with your air it's like asking management for a spare handcart.

Give them 3 or 4 lates every day. They will figure it out real quick. When I won my bid route a few years ago, I was over dispatched on air every single day for the first few weeks. Finally told the dispatcher, what part don't you get? Anything more then this number of stops and you are eating lates every single day. Ever since then, I have not been dispatched one time, with more than the amount I told him I could do. The extra automatically goes to an air driver every morning. You need to make them feel the pain

Last edited:

WorknLateHuh

my route starts at 7 and they bring the rest of volume out at 9:30 punched out by 5:30 every day, it's awesome

Words cant express how jealous I am. We start at 9:00, mandatory 1hr lunch, and get back 7:30-8:30. it's the hardest thing about being a driver imo.

klein

Für Meno :)
From what I experience in western Canada - UPS is loosing big time.
From around 30 amazon orders only 4 delivered by UPS!
I order every week , and only seen my UPS driver 4 times in 6 months!

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
From what I experience in western Canada - UPS is loosing big time.
From around 30 amazon orders only 4 delivered by UPS!
I order every week , and only seen my UPS driver 4 times in 6 months!

LOL. So because we're not delivering most of the Amazon packages that we make pennies per package on in your tiny section of the world, we're losing big time? Ok sir.......

klein

LOL. So because we're not delivering most of the Amazon packages that we make pennies per package on in your tiny section of the world, we're losing big time? Ok sir.......
If you think every other country doesn't count , then sure !
Amazon thinks differently !

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
If you think every other country doesn't count , then sure !
Amazon thinks differently !
When did I say every other country doesn't count? All I said was, just because we didn't deliver most of the Amazon packages in your area (to your house) doesn't mean that's what's going in the rest of the world. And it most certainly doesn't mean we're losing big time. For one, like the managers always tell us, we only make pennies per package on each Amazon delivery. Secondly, you never know if it's just the type of things you're ordering that causes the delivery to be handled by someone else. I notice when I order small stuff it usually always comes by USPS. Bigger items usually come via UPS/FedEx.

klein

Well, your government doesn't allow competition.
I get purulator , canpar , Intel com , DHL , UPS and very few Canada Post deliveries.
The US government imposed taxes on foreign businesses such as DHL that they had to leave !
And if Trump gets his way - you better be ready to pay more for everything !
BTW : we are already laughing up north that an Epi-pen is $600 in the US compared to our $40 !

Last edited:
wow i can't believe there are hubs with no air drivers lol in san bernardino our cover drivers are basically full time with better pay i wish i would have never started in ontario it takes like 10 yrs to go cover and almost the same time to go full time. san bern i got in at 9 years as ft but the cover drivers there only have like 6 years and get paid more than me also they work everyday. the only thing i like is that i get priority on bidding on routes. random rant. but yeah our air drivers run full routes sometimes we have lost so many drivers this year to feeder that we hired 25 drivers this year and are still down. i hand off air to them every morning lol to the guy in anahiem.. how is it over there? i put in a transfer for anaheim and cerritos lol tired of the hot summers and the hood of san bernaghetto smh