How did it go for you?

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
How did you guys know where to go back then when you had only maps and a compass. How would you know how many boxes were meant to be dropped at each stop??? Please enlighten this Gen Zer
Each shelf had a section of town , a chart told pre loader what was on shelf , you looked at a map and figured it out , memorized certain addresses that got stuff daily and that helped you figure out your surroundings , we didn't know how many pkgs each stop had. , we figured it out by setting up the shelves when we had the room to do so , we also asked people on rte were some street was we couldn't find. We had no phone to bury our face in , we actually spoke to people , we probably learned rte quicker and better than todays drivers because we used our brain not technology

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Each shelf had a section of town , a chart told pre loader what was on shelf , you looked at a map and figured it out , memorized certain addresses that got stuff daily and that helped you figure out your surroundings , we didn't know how many pkgs each stop had. , we figured it out by setting up the shelves when we had the room to do so , we also asked people on rte were some street was we couldn't find. We had no phone to bury our face in , we actually spoke to people , we probably learned rte quicker and better than todays drivers because we used our brain not technology
And they gave us more than 2 seconds to grab a box…

Brownisbrown

UPS EMPLOYEE
Were routes about as long as they are today or were they shorter?

oldupsman

Yes, we actually used our brain. YOU ran the route the way it made the most sense. And by doing
that you got to know every customer. And they knew almost to the minute when you would be there.
You actually became part of the community. You knew everybody and everybody knew you.
There were very few house numbers when I started my rural route. I created a little notebook
with peoples name and a description of their house. But after awhile I knew them by memory
anyway.

If a package came through with just a name and a P.O. box I would stop in the small country
post office and ask the postmaster where they lived. Heck, if the package was small sometimes
they would just take the package for me. I had a guy who addressed his packages,
George Wilson P.O. Box 57 UPS knows Pineville Pa.

Last edited:

Brownwind

Yes, we actually used our brain. YOU ran the route the way it made the most sense. And by doing
that you got to know every customer. And they knew almost to the minute when you would be there.
You actually became part of the community. You knew everybody and everybody knew you.
There were very few house numbers when I started my rural route. I created a little notebook
with peoples name and a description of their house. But after awhile I knew them by memory
anyway.

If a package came through with just a name and a P.O. box I would stop in the small country
post office and ask the postmaster where they lived. Heck, if the package was small sometimes
they would just take the package for me. I had a guy who addressed his packages,
George Wilson P.O. Box 57 UPS knows Pineville Pa.
Did you have a card file? I was fortunate enough to know most of the people on my routes. In town was rough for me.