How do YOU audit your airs before leaving?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And that's why we have a lousy Preload in my building. Most of our Preload Supervisors were hired off the street and are completely clueless about delivering anything. They don't even train our Preloaders to lip load anymore, its pathetic.

You don't have to know how to deliver 'em to tell others how to load 'em.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
You don't have to know how to deliver 'em to tell others how to load 'em.

My whole point was that the people telling my loader how to do things aren't doing their job properly. This is because they don't understand what the driver has to go through to complete his job. It costs the company more money to pay me to hunt for air packages, move boxes around to get the labels facing out, and having to reload packages that fell off the shelf because they weren't loaded correctly in the first place.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My whole point was that the people telling my loader how to do things aren't doing their job properly. This is because they don't understand what the driver has to go through to complete his job. It costs the company more money to pay me to hunt for air packages, move boxes around to get the labels facing out, and having to reload packages that fell off the shelf because they weren't loaded correctly in the first place.

I know---I was just being a smart ass.

Overpaid Union Thug

From the methods......

C. Check your first stops.
1. Check all your Next Day Air, International Express, and 2nd Day Air AM
packages.
a. As you check the time-sensitive packages in section one, arrange them in
the most appropriate and efficient delivery order – based on both the
delivery path and time commitments.
b. Once the packages are sorted, you should be able to remember their
addresses and their location in the selection area without re-handling them.
c. Check for any Next Day Air, International Express, and 2nd Day Air AM
packages on the floor. As with the shelf packages, visualize the stops and
remember where each package is located on the floor.

Pooter

A quick glance to make sure I have what EDD shows and I'm off.

If missing one, I tell a Sup before I leave, and send a message (on location) that I can't find it. CYA basically.

I do look for it extensively if I have time.

Johney

I count the number of air packages, and look at the spa to verify they belong on the truck, if I have time I will put them in delivery order. if I am missing any, I send a message to center before leaving building.
So if they bad slapped one?

mdnj88

By us it's just get out asap and "look for it on road" verify by 10:10 and if need be dump the load in parking lot to find missing air. Center manager has tore apart a few cars at 1045 looking for missing air with the driver only to have it be 4 towns away as a mislead

BostonBo

When we got EDD we were told we didn't need to sort our air or verify our first five stops because EDD told us what was in our dispatch. We even had some days where the preload closed our back doors, so we would be ready to roll (of course most drivers couldn't get on their cars until the driver next to him left, but that's another story).

JackStraw

Loader leaves 'em in a tote behind the truck(this can change to something else, but right now this is the way). I check the DELIVERY label, put them in the truck the way I would deliver, verify they're in my board,and I'm off to Clarksville! Also,nobody leaves unless notifying a Sup. if you're missing an air.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I have my loader leave all my airs in the cab of my pc.I verify addresses and pieces and go. A bad slap is just another problem for me to deal with

BrownThunder

My rookie method:

-download edd
-print manifest w/ 10:30am commit stops
-decide delivery order
-run to truck, use sharpie to label boxes (example: Google 3)
the number means # of UOW for the stop
-download edd again
-verify commits in DIAD vs Manifest
-hit the street and kill my AM run

By The Book

My rookie method:

-download edd
-decide delivery order
-download edd again
Definitely a rookie method.

BrownThunder

lol I know...

Did my AM run on Friday without touching my air at all. I only stepped in the truck to thrown my lunch pale in. Was having truck issues (ignition button not working, needing a key) that prevented me from doing my routine. Was on my route sweating scud missiles but surprisingly pulled it off with 15min. to spare.

Havent had late air in weeks, might be ready to stop donating time to the company before PCM.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I handle too many NDA air pieces on my route to do a complete audit.

Airs get sorted into three tote boxes. During that time I make sure whatever I am sorting is mine. There's nothing I can do if an air is missing - no time to sift through 300 pieces to find it and it's not going to appear out of thin air if it's not on car.

If management wanted to give me a decent start time, I would be more than happy to do a thorough audit.

BUCN85

And that's why we have a lousy Preload in my building. Most of our Preload Supervisors were hired off the street and are completely clueless about delivering anything. They don't even train our Preloaders to lip load anymore, its pathetic.
They also have started to teach them to load smaller stuff. Like envelopes. Small bags. Behind all the big stuff.

JackStraw

My rookie method:

-download edd
-decide delivery order
-download edd again
Your AM time must be bad. Here, they want us out of the building 10 mins after start time.

BrownThunder

Rookie method begins around 7:45am.

I have to travel 3 cities, in traffic to get to my route. When I touch down there is no time to fiddle around trying to find this and that. Lucked out last week just because there was a low UOW count for each commit stop. It's easy to find 1-3 UOW compared to my typical 6-12 count.