how do you file a GRIEVANCE for attendance

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Listen hoss,

No kidding an employee will have a bad day every now and again. I am talking about when they totally drop the ball to make a point or get back at someone in management. That is exactly what I use it for. To make sure they don't drop way down to some ridiculously low number, and then say that is all they are capable of. I can hold an employee accountable with any legal and ethical method I choose.

Thanks!

The employee can hold a crappy manager accountable insubordinately just as the manager regularly does the employee. Good luck with the discipline process. Deal with it. :peaceful:

Punjab

Need to file a grievance for attendance and need help on how to write it. I would be using Articles 37 and 17. They have been Forcing us in for the last 5-6 Saturdays ( not my scheduled day). I've Had two Call ins in the last 90 day and received a warning letter for attendance by them using a Saturday against me. Been already filing 9.5 grievances for this overtime. Now i gotta deal with this. I'm tired and burnt out. If there is any help on how to form this grievance this would greatly help.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Nice job on using the search function.

Resurrecting a 10 year old thread to address your concerns. More people should take note.

;)

Need to file a grievance for attendance and need help on how to write it.

Keep it simple.

"I am protesting the warning letter issued on (give the date).

Further facts to be presented, with any and all Articles that may apply."

I request the warning letter be rescinded.

Save your argument for the Local level grievance hearing. Don't do it on paper.

-Bug-

clean hairy

Problem easily solved. Still don't see where production comes into play.
There was a loader at one time who loaded say, 300 per hour.
Any time the Sup would stand in plain sight for 30 min of the day doing a time study, the person would be at 450.
Yet, when the loader could not see the sup, came in at 300.
Got fired and did not get the job back.
Basis of the termination that stuck was the fact the loader could load at 450, but only went at 300.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
There was a loader at one time who loaded say, 300 per hour.
Any time the Sup would stand in plain sight for 30 min of the day doing a time study, the person would be at 450.
Yet, when the loader could not see the sup, came in at 300.
Got fired and did not get the job back.
Basis of the termination that stuck was the fact the loader could load at 450, but only went at 300.
I was 115

ski or die

Ski or Die
Here is how disciplinary action works against an hourly employee. This should clear up any confusion you have because it simply does not make sense to file a grievance against disciplinary action on your attendance because we have records that will in fact show if you suck at showing up to your job. I see that you are a 22.3...

There are two categories of discipline. Each of these are separate from one another meaning that the levels of discipline cannot advance from one category to another:

Attendance:
Enough Said. Come to work, and be on time!

Service and Everything else:
You can be disciplined in progressive steps for service and other disorderly like conduct such as cursing at management, throwing packages or hand scanners, stealing time, low PPH, ect...

Now you are probably wondering how an employee can be punished for PPH when the contract clearly states, "A fair days work for a fair days pay." You could even make the argument from a shop stewards perspective, and say that everyone is different and therefore has different capabilities. Fine. However, if I look on GSS for a loader's PPH or do a flow count on a sorter I will either work with the employee to improve it, or if it is acceptable I will then review the employee's performance with them and then tell them that they have now sat their own MAR. I can now hold them accountable to that performance. I have seen what they are capable of, and expect to it to maintain.

The appropriate levels of discipline include: warning letter, five day suspension, ten day suspension, last chance agreement, and finally termination. A talk with is just a courtesy and is not a requirement. However, most reasonable management people will do a talk with. This is only fair because how can an employee correct a problem if they do not know there is one? Communication is key, and I can only hope that you have a management team bright enough to know this.
I retired after several years of service as a union steward. I really enjoyed sitting down and discussing a grievance with a supervisor who thought they understood the contract in this sense and could harass an employee and threaten him with his employment. I sure miss those good old days talking with management. It would be nice to return as a BA and have our nice conversations again.

Jakamoe

I work for teamsters, UPS contracted me
Need to file a grievance for attendance and need help on how to write it. I would be using Articles 37 and 17. They have been Forcing us in for the last 5-6 Saturdays ( not my scheduled day). I've Had two Call ins in the last 90 day and received a warning letter for attendance by them using a Saturday against me. Been already filing 9.5 grievances for this overtime. Now i gotta deal with this. I'm tired and burnt out. If there is any help on how to form this grievance this would greatly help.
Exactly what you said. Call in, tell them you are too tired and unsafe to work. They can't punish you for excessive overtime that leads to fatigue.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Here is how disciplinary action works against an hourly employee. This should clear up any confusion you have because it simply does not make sense to file a grievance against disciplinary action on your attendance because we have records that will in fact show if you suck at showing up to your job. I see that you are a 22.3...

There are two categories of discipline. Each of these are separate from one another meaning that the levels of discipline cannot advance from one category to another:

Attendance:

You can be disciplined in progressive steps for service and other disorderly like conduct such as cursing at management, throwing packages or hand scanners, stealing time, low PPH, ect...

Now you are probably wondering how an employee can be punished for PPH when the contract clearly states, "A fair days work for a fair days pay." You could even make the argument from a shop stewards perspective, and say that everyone is different and therefore has different capabilities. Fine. However, if I look on GSS for a loader's PPH or do a flow count on a sorter I will either work with the employee to improve it, or if it is acceptable I will then review the employee's performance with them and then tell them that they have now sat their own MAR. I can now hold them accountable to that performance. I have seen what they are capable of, and expect to it to maintain.

The appropriate levels of discipline include: warning letter, five day suspension, ten day suspension, last chance agreement, and finally termination. A talk with is just a courtesy and is not a requirement. However, most reasonable management people will do a talk with. This is only fair because how can an employee correct a problem if they do not know there is one? Communication is key, and I can only hope that you have a management team bright enough to know this.
How's the 40% bonus?

EverybodyLovesMike

No, my name isnt mike
Listen hoss,

No kidding an employee will have a bad day every now and again. I am talking about when they totally drop the ball to make a point or get back at someone in management. That is exactly what I use it for. To make sure they don't drop way down to some ridiculously low number, and then say that is all they are capable of. I can hold an employee accountable with any legal and ethical method I choose.

Thanks!
It never sticks. The only way it sticks is if you play dirty or fire them and they don't grieve it. If they walk, they walk and that's one thing. You're highly optimistic and your efforts are to be appreciated

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!

Attendance:

Everything you said is incorrect

MrBates

ups want's to build a record on us and fire us for performance

Every 25 year guy I've talked to always tells me the same thing....They have never seen anyone get fired for production.
We had this case where one guy really wanted to piss off management, so he decided one day to run, or should I say walk a 7 SPORH. They TRIED to fire him, only when it got to the panel, he got off with a 1 week vacation, I mean, suspension, and he was back giving management hard ons again. He made out like a bandit on that one cause after that all they did was assign him to shuttle and pick up misloads.

gorilla75jdw

Attendance:

Or there is the optional operation supervisor outside work premises face to face to with , usually done at the gas station down the street . You can probably figure it out .🥊🥊

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Every 25 year guy I've talked to always tells me the same thing....They have never seen anyone get fired for production.
We had this case where one guy really wanted to piss off management, so he decided one day to run, or should I say walk a 7 SPORH. They TRIED to fire him, only when it got to the panel, he got off with a 1 week vacation, I mean, suspension, and he was back giving management hard ons again. He made out like a bandit on that one cause after that all they did was assign him to shuttle and pick up misloads.
DB042013-A1AA-45C8-91C7-4215C1B05D47.gif