How do you plan your route stops?

So, I am a newbie when come to driving, but I learned from old fart during peak season, and I understand how old drivers doesnt follow Orion. Been on the route on my own for a few days without Supp.

1st day was horrible when i tried to follow Orion ( I am unfamiliar with the neighborhood). 100 stops (5 airs) and a few extra packages on the truck came out of nowhere cost me over 3 hours overdue.

Today was 2nd day, and I had 140 stops I stopped using Orion and just cherry pick the stops on the EDD (Map for DIAD 6). It saved me a lot but I am still over 80 minutes overdue for the assignment. Is there any better method to help plan the route for the unfamiliar areas (mostly single-home Resi with a bunch of dead ends and loops).

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Isnt EDD list or Map program with all the stops doing the same performance?
No, he's referring to area knowledge. A paper map will tell you that. You will never learn a route by following the gps going dot to dot. You'll just stare at the diad all day and never learn anything. Do like most and keep depending on a gps. It's easier.

mcsketcher

If you don’t know your next day’s route looking at a map to plan won’t help.

If you are looking at the map on the diad, look at how you can make loops out of everything. I came from FedEx where we just got a list of stops and the map was so slow it was unusable. The diad map is really good.

Break groups of stops up into loops and spirals, and build a bigger loop out of those small ones to end up where you need to be. I also don’t avoid backing as UPS teaches you to do. If I can’t loop a stop in I’ll hit it and back in to the driveway so I can return to my loop for the rest of the stops. Try not to back, but if you see a stop on the edge of a loop you’ve made, do it to keep from driving a whole separate street for that 1 or 2 stops.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Once you get more familiar with the diad and it's map function, and your route you'll improve.

Give your itinerary a quick scroll down occasionally to make sure you didn't actually highlight a stop down your list, that'll bung your day up quick.

Learn the color coding on the roads on the map. Blue, pink, purple..etc. It'll help you know more stops on this road, or turn around at this stop, etc.

Whither

Scofflaw
So, I am a newbie when come to driving, but I learned from old fart during peak season, and I understand how old drivers doesnt follow Orion. Been on the route on my own for a few days without Supp.

1st day was horrible when i tried to follow Orion ( I am unfamiliar with the neighborhood). 100 stops (5 airs) and a few extra packages on the truck came out of nowhere cost me over 3 hours overdue.

Today was 2nd day, and I had 140 stops I stopped using Orion and just cherry pick the stops on the EDD (Map for DIAD 6). It saved me a lot but I am still over 80 minutes overdue for the assignment. Is there any better method to help plan the route for the unfamiliar areas (mostly single-home Resi with a bunch of dead ends and loops).
The bid driver should be able to give you good advice. Likewise, other drivers who have qualified on the route. If dispatch hasn't screwed up the 1000-8000 sequencing then the shelves themselves are a solid guide, but make sure to verify if there are businesses in the later shelves.

80 minutes over on your second day alone isn't bad at all.

If you are looking at the map on the diad, look at how you can make loops out of everything. I came from FedEx where we just got a list of stops and the map was so slow it was unusable. The diad map is really good.

Break groups of stops up into loops and spirals, and build a bigger loop out of those small ones to end up where you need to be. I also don’t avoid backing as UPS teaches you to do. If I can’t loop a stop in I’ll hit it and back in to the driveway so I can return to my loop for the rest of the stops. Try not to back, but if you see a stop on the edge of a loop you’ve made, do it to keep from driving a whole separate street for that 1 or 2 stops.
I don't know about others but my center is keeping me on the same route for qualification, which is pretty nice and helps with refining the technique. The issue with the DIAD map is that I spent a lot of time after dropping off packages and walking back to the trucks to pick where to go next. The huge difference between my method and Orion was the amount of backing reduce significantly.

mcsketcher

I don't know about others but my center is keeping me on the same route for qualification, which is pretty nice and helps with refining the technique. The issue with the DIAD map is that I spent a lot of time after dropping off packages and walking back to the trucks to pick where to go next. The huge difference between my method and Orion was the amount of backing reduce significantly.
That’s awesome they keep you the same. I’m different every day and have been since the 2nd week.

I look at the map walking back to the truck. By the time I’m docking the diad I know my next stop and how close to the ones after that it is, etc.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.

If he’s on his training route, a paper map to plan ahead definitely will help. He should have everyday business stops he can plot out, and from there he can get an idea where to break off to deliver resis.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
That’s awesome they keep you the same. I’m different every day and have been since the 2nd week.

I look at the map walking back to the truck. By the time I’m docking the diad I know my next stop and how close to the ones after that it is, etc.
If they started moving you around after the 2nd week it probably means they want to keep you.

UnionStrong

That makes sense. But they are also expecting me to do that and be done with 200 stops by 5:00pm. Which is never happening. So IDK.
They’re just pushing you. They know you’re gonna bust your balls to try an get it done. They did the same thing to me many years ago. They know who’s gonna make it after a couple of weeks of torture. If you finish by 5, great, but as long as you finish.

oldngray

nowhere special
I thought you’re supposed to stay on the same route during your 30. If not then aren’t you automatically qualified?
I think not necessarily true but works out that way. They might have to extend your training period if they move you around but they wouldn't go to all that trouble if they weren't planning on keeping you anyway.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'

Only 80 minutes over? Most days I was way over that after 30 years driving.

UnionStrong

I thought you’re supposed to stay on the same route during your 30. If not then aren’t you automatically qualified?
When I was hired as a casual, I was worked like a rented mule. When I finally got a shot at making the list, there was no question I was going to make it. My center manager put me on a route I new very well and told me not to hit anything. Lol. 30 days later I was in. Different place then.