How does FedEx stay in business?

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Op, if u live in a "HIGH RISK " area, have your parcels delivered at your job or to a friends or relatives house in a nice suburban setting, preferably with a camera

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Seriously, how do they? They have the shoddiest delivery practices I've ever seen. I have never had good experiences receiving goods shipped via FedEx.

When I lived in an apartment building in a not so good part of town, a company that was shipping warranty replacement parts to me did so via FedEx. The package was simply dropped off in the middle of the apartment hallway for anyone to walk away with....and it did walk away. The company tried via FedEx twice more, and twice more the package walked away. They finally shipped it UPS and I received it.

Just today, I get home from the store and find 2 CARDBOARD boxes sitting outside IN THE RAIN. No protective covering, no notice that they tried to deliver and could not. No, the boxes were simply dumped in front of the house in the rain.

Experiences like this have taught me to never trust a shoddy company like FedEx for anything. They could offer totally free shipping no matter what and I'd still refuse to use them at this point.

They stay in business because Ground/HD is cheap and FedEx enjoys a terrific profit margin on it. They accomplish this through a scam "contractor" system wherein drivers are paid very little and most operating costs are passed-off to the owner operator/contract carriers, who dba FedEx Ground/HD.

This is highly lucrative for FDX, and some contractors make a decent living because they pay basically nothing ($12-$14 per hour with no benefits). Maintenance and safety are generally spotty, and the quality of employees is commensurate with the pay...low.

In return, you get crappy service that doesn't cost much. FedEx could care less about your issues, so good luck on getting problems resolved. That would cut into profits.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They stay in business because Ground/HD is cheap and FedEx enjoys a terrific profit margin on it. They accomplish this through a scam "contractor" system wherein drivers are paid very little and most operating costs are passed-off to the owner operator/contract carriers, who dba FedEx Ground/HD.

This is highly lucrative for FDX, and some contractors make a decent living because they pay basically nothing ($12-$14 per hour with no benefits). Maintenance and safety are generally spotty, and the quality of employees is commensurate with the pay...low.

In return, you get crappy service that doesn't cost much. FedEx could care less about your issues, so good luck on getting problems resolved. That would cut into profits.

The Ground driver that I see most during the day does a very good job of taking care of the customer. He is on road long before I am and is still working as I am heading home.

Coalminer2005

Finally someone actually answered the question. Thanks for the prior 22 responses waisting everyone's time.

dezguy

Finally someone actually answered the question. Thanks for the prior 22 responses waisting everyone's time.
*wasting*

This is not a help line. This is not the 1-800 number. I doubt anyone here cares that a customer had a bad experience with FedEx. We do not own the company and that is for the higher ups to care about.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
*wasting*

This is not a help line. This is not the 1-800 number. I doubt anyone here cares that a customer had a bad experience with FedEx. We do not own the company and that is for the higher ups to care about.

We should have advised them to call one of our barely English-speaking call centers so they can provide some lame excuse off a cue card. If you have ever talked to any of these folks, it's clear they don't even know how the Ground and Express systems operate.

Last edited:

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I should advised them to call one of our barely English-speaking call centers so they can provide some lame excuse off a cue card. If you have ever talked to any of these folks, it's clear they don't even know how the Ground and Express systems operate.
Ask for Rajib. He's a legend in San Salvador.

OrioN

Exception to the rule.

Each driver has their own work ethics in this opco... it falls on the middleman subcontractors to notice the good ones from the marginally performing ones

Apparently my current boss doesnt do this, so im forced into looking for a new job. Good luck

FedExer267

Seriously, how do they? They have the shoddiest delivery practices I've ever seen. I have never had good experiences receiving goods shipped via FedEx.

When I lived in an apartment building in a not so good part of town, a company that was shipping warranty replacement parts to me did so via FedEx. The package was simply dropped off in the middle of the apartment hallway for anyone to walk away with....and it did walk away. The company tried via FedEx twice more, and twice more the package walked away. They finally shipped it UPS and I received it.

Just today, I get home from the store and find 2 CARDBOARD boxes sitting outside IN THE RAIN. No protective covering, no notice that they tried to deliver and could not. No, the boxes were simply dumped in front of the house in the rain.

Experiences like this have taught me to never trust a shoddy company like FedEx for anything. They could offer totally free shipping no matter what and I'd still refuse to use them at this point.
When you work for a day rate and get no OT and benefits you only focus on getting done and going home or to job #2. Unfortunately until drivers are given a living wage for the work they perform you will get drivers that do not care. That's getting what you pay for.

Bounty

When you work for a day rate and get no OT and benefits you only focus on getting done and going home or to job #2. Unfortunately until drivers are given a living wage for the work they perform you will get drivers that do not care. That's getting what you pay for.
Perfectly said. This is not a professionally run company. It's run by a bunch of contractors that for the most part are learning how to run a business on the fly and X ties their hands.

bacha29

I you think it's bad wait until the U.S. slides back into a zero growth or outright recessionary environment The resulting pressure on operating margins and the stock price which is already down 30% will weigh even heavier on contractors to do even more with less .

It will be fine

Perfectly said. This is not a professionally run company. It's run by a bunch of contractors that for the most part are learning how to run a business on the fly and X ties their hands.
It's run by contractors now? According to you we have no control over our operations. Which is it?

OrioN

X management doesnt want to deal with drivers directly... thats for the contractors to micromanage their crew.

X can only give suggestions to the contractors, but shouldnt deal with drivers directly (but in some cases where the contractors are absent or not available, ill deal with them)

For example, a driver got the pink slip due to too many speeding tickets. He was warned multiple times to be safe on the roads. Should have a year suspension, but he seems to be a lead foot and may end up in the news when he runs over some kids coming out of school

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank

Shut up mudwhistle! FedEx and UPS might be shoddy companies and your Wayfair crap might have been left in the rain and damaged but you're the donkey who wasted ten minutes of your life signing up to a site for disgruntled and {sometimes} gruntled employees to vent. Good luck with your next Zoolily order Sally, go the the Facebook page and bitch and moan, they listen and care there!

OrioN

giphy.gif

Scoobs, the OP complained about FX G or HD, not the local UPSer with area knowledge of his hood area... it was warranted for him to find out why there's a different level of service