How does UPS plan to survive in the future?

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Well I can see one issue that might have something to do with UPS preparing for the future. Just about every building that UPS has in its system is too small. The whole infrastructure needs a total revamp. If all the volume is to be contained then that which does the containing must be able to contain it.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Well I can see one issue that might have something to do with UPS preparing for the future. Just about every building that UPS has in its system is too small. The whole infrastructure needs a total revamp. If all the volume is to be contained then that which does the containing must be able to contain it.

Now this I agree with. With E-commerce most buildings in metro areas just aren't equipped to handle all the new volume. Hell our hub, which closed for 9 months just a year ago for an automation retrofit, is behind 500,000 packages already this peak season. We had a team of executives fly in from Atlanta to help get us back on track. I don't think it's gonna work. Bottoms line, we need a lot of new, bigger buildings.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Now this I agree with. With E-commerce most buildings in metro areas just aren't equipped to handle all the new volume. Hell our hub, which closed for 9 months just a year ago for an automation retrofit, is behind 500,000 packages already this peak season. We had a team of executives fly in from Atlanta to help get us back on track. I don't think it's gonna work. Bottoms line, we need a lot of new, bigger buildings.
Yep it's time to say to hell with profits for year maybe two and bring us into the 21st century.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
The Customer counter replaced with self serve kiosks.
No way. People would be way too stupid to ever figure that out. Not to mention the sheer amount of USPS returns and Dish/Xfinity receivers (with no box or anything because they think it's a UPS Store) left there would just be staggering.

Brownslave688

No way. People would be way too stupid to ever figure that out. Not to mention the sheer amount of USPS returns and Dish/Xfinity receivers (with no box or anything because they think it's a UPS Store) left there would just be staggering.
Just like everyone was gonna check out themselves at the grocery store. Lol

Returntosender

Just like everyone was gonna check out themselves at the grocery store. Lol
More of those self check out lines at Walmart. I remember only seeing two now their is six at the store I go to. The transition is slowing happening. In the 90s people were hesitant to buy stuff online now people shop online rather than going to stores.

Brownslave688

My point was not in our lifetime. Pretty sure the employees of those companies also felt the same way.
I'm not saying ups will be around forever but I don't see a relation to any of them to ups. Sears has been dying since the 90's and it's been pretty obvious. Two tech companies which come
And go like underwear.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Richmond? I think those guys were at my building last peak...they walk around fast and tell but have zero idea what they are talking about...basically like a center manager on steroids.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Richmond? I think those guys were at my building last peak...they walk around fast and tell but have zero idea what they are talking about...basically like a center manager on steroids.
We had top brass come through our hub the beginning of Nov. because it ran so poorly and not enough seasonal help. I think one of the managers worked under the COO