How is the weather in your area today?

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
I didn't lose any electrolytes today. I know exactly where they are...crystallized in white streaks all over my shirt! Heat index 112 here today. Gonna be worse tomorrow. I'll probably stay inside all weekend, pay the neighbor's kid to cut my grass, and have dinner delivered. I may not leave the house until Monday morning.

bigbrownhen

Hotter than blazes early today. It was 71 at 6:30 this morning, 90s by 11am. Then, about 330 this afternoon, this big dark blue cloud I had been begging to come a little farther north did. It didn't rain, but the breeze and clouds dropped the temp about 20 degrees. It was wonderful!! Still, hot, but much better.

I was very thankful for what little break we got.

brownedout

104 air temp yesterday, probably another +5 if not more with the heat index factored in. Couple of observations:

I wear eyeglasses, I usually don't put on my shades until I have completed comm dels. When I finally did put them on yesterday, I immediately had to remove them. They had burnt the side of my nose, not a bad burn mind you, I was able to put them on a stop later when they had a chance to cool just a little.

My wife has been sick the past few days, and has not done any watering of her plants. I went out this morning to do it for her. We had plastic mesh encasing a tomato plant to keep the critters from getting to them. I say had because the plastic mesh melted and wilted (just like the plants did)

whiskey

113 degrees standing on top of the flaps of a 40 foot merchant load H frame out of NY city. I don't drink beer very often.

air_dr

That's really hot...and I know you work in the hub...

Personally, I am a numbers and detail man, so I am curious how exactly you take your temperature measurements and how restrictive security is about letting you come in and especially leave with a thermometer. I wouldn't mind taking some measurements of my own some time.

I can see the trailers on the primary and the package cars being 108 (and hotter) very easily since the doors are closed until they arrive at the hub, but your measurement, based on my own experience, seems high to me for the hub itself with the high ceilings and all.

Are you sure you are getting the actual air temperature of your general work area and not having your measurement skewed by radiating heat from some hot surface near or on which you had placed your thermometer?

DS

Fenderbender
It's not just hot here,we need rain bad.I snapped this photo in a farmers field down the road from our house.
Those in the know can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is wheat.Dry as a bone and probably useless.

P1000502.jpg

rod

Retired 22 years
It's not just hot here,we need rain bad.I snapped this photo in a farmers field down the road from our house.
Those in the know can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is wheat.Dry as a bone and probably useless.

P1000502.jpg

How well do you know the farmer down the road----------------------thats marijuana

jk

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It got to 95 Friday, and then a storm came in at 5 pm, where I actually shut the truck off, and got into the back and held on for dear life. I figured I was safer back there than in the front. The place I had just left locked up and gone, then boom. No where to go. Temp dropped aboput 20 degrees. Nice. Just before that it had been at my house where it took out trees, a few garages, and the power for 36 hrs. Nice way to start vacation, but as far as I know, no one was hurt.