How lazy can you get

opey

Sorry, here's how this old guy sees it. If I followed every rule you guys are told and must follow every day, I'd see it as a blessing.
I'd be doing less work then I did 25 years ago. You want me to use my seat belt, close the bulkhead door, and turn off the car at
every stop? Sure, no problem, take off 30 stops.
yea, too bad it doesnt work that way. its more like, heres an extra 30 stops, and make sure you dont show up on any report tomorrow, or else...

jaker

trolling
You seem to think you do more stops now then we used to do in the "old days' huh? I would have enjoyed going out every morning
knowing exactly what's on the car. It was not unusual in the old days to be told in the morning that you had 150 stops
on the car when you really had 180.

Sorry, here's how this old guy sees it. If I followed every rule you guys are told and must follow every day, I'd see it as a blessing.
I'd be doing less work then I did 25 years ago. You want me to use my seat belt, close the bulkhead door, and turn off the car at

Now I'm not going to get into a pissing match about which generation works harder. Lets just agree they both work hard.
And please tell when was the last time you delivered a package

rod

Retired 22 years
You seem to think you do more stops now then we used to do in the "old days' huh? I would have enjoyed going out every morning
knowing exactly what's on the car. It was not unusual in the old days to be told in the morning that you had 150 stops
on the car when you really had 180.

Now I'm not going to get into a pissing match about which generation works harder. Lets just agree they both work hard.

We worked harder----NO doubt about it:rolleyes:

clean hairy

And if you back into a driveway, some person who cannot see or hear a big noisy truck might ASSUME it is safe to back out of their driveway and hit the truck.
Then blame it on the driver!

jaker

trolling
It's funny to hear the retire guys talk about how hard it was , but the guys who are about to retire now always talk how great those days was compare to now

So somewhere someone is lying , but who

oldupsman

yea, too bad it doesnt work that way. its more like, heres an extra 30 stops, and make sure you dont show up on any report tomorrow, or else...

Or else what? I can't help it if you stand there and shake in your boots. I used to laugh at a sup who said
"or else".
And please tell when was the last time you delivered a package

Oh I don't know. June 2008. What's your point? The problem is you 2 need to grow a pair. UPS is pushing
you around because you let them.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Saw the UPS driver back up my neighbors drive to deliver what seemed to be an envelope to the front door. The front of the house is about 40' from the street. No snow or ice on the drive. Noticed the same with other neighbors around me in Dec. Didn't seem to be bulky or heavy packages (something that can be carried in one trip) Scared to think what might happen in better weather when kids run up to the truck when he is backing up. Your thoughts?
The kids are inside on their fat arse playing video games.

Maybe it was leg day and the drivers quads were sore?

jaker

trolling
Or else what? I can't help it if you stand there and shake in your boots. I used to laugh at a sup who said
"or else".

Oh I don't know. June 2008. What's your point? The problem is you 2 need to grow a pair. UPS is pushing
Oh this is funny old man , without knowing anything about me you want to throw that out there

So why you retire you couldn't hack it anymore or your old body just gave up because it was too hard for you

And you left in 2008 so you miss what has happen in the last 9 years but you talk like you know what's its like now

by the way my route when I started doing it in 2007 had 105 stops and now and when I left it was 125 the moment I left that route now has 160 stops daily so I guess I got a pretty big pair

jaker

trolling
"or else".

By the way I respect that you put your time in and retire from here . What I don't respect is you talking bad on your ex coworkers

This company has change a lot in the past ten years and for you to come in and talk like you are bad just or it's 2008 tells that you left at a good time

Because we all know what would really happen to you or your route if you was still here

35years

Gravy route
Not necessarily true.

We have done the demonstration where two drivers deliver to the same "stop". They both start from the same position. One backs up to the delivery stop while the other walks off the stop. The distance was about 100'. The driver who walked completed the stop before the one who drove.
The safety morons did the same demo for us.
They were trying to demo that walking was just as fast.
The result was the backing driver completed the stop and was driving away far before the one who walked.
Our demonstration was for a 30' distance.
The backing driver got to the delivery point (door) just ahead of the walker, but passed him easily driving away rather than walking away; longer distances would have increased his lead.
The safety morons then had to explain that it may be faster to back, but walking is safer.

Kids can run under the tires moving forward or backwards.
Backing is less safe, but it is more important to be observant-scan the area, plan the back, choose the safest back (avoid backing towards anything).

A lot of backing accidents (and more serious ones) occur when the driver backs in reaction to something without planning it or scanning the area first.

Dr.Brownz

Saw the UPS driver back up my neighbors drive to deliver what seemed to be an envelope to the front door. The front of the house is about 40' from the street. No snow or ice on the drive. Noticed the same with other neighbors around me in Dec. Didn't seem to be bulky or heavy packages (something that can be carried in one trip) Scared to think what might happen in better weather when kids run up to the truck when he is backing up. Your thoughts?
Maybe they are riding him about "good parking spots"?

Maybe he parked on a street and got hit while parked and they told the driver it was his fault?

They tried to tell my uncle it was his fault when a kid back out across the street, turned down the street while backing and hit him parked on the other curb. So not too far fetched.

35years

Gravy route
I have been driving a long time.
This is my own experience...
Harder today:
Most routes go out with far more work than 30+ years ago, more packages, more stops, more hours, larger trucks.
Weight and size limits are higher today but the internet has created far more resi stops, which avg less pieces per stop and lighter pkgs.
Telematics keeps methods cheating to a minimum.
Start times are later which is physiologically defeating and more difficult to do the job in the dark.

Harder in the old days:
The job was more difficult mentally without EDD, i.e. memorizing stops, shipper numbers etc. in the old days.
The trucks had higher steps, manual steering.
No (then more limited) driver release. Find someone to sign and a lot of indirects.
Far more on-area observations and production rides. Supervisors for the most part were harder on drivers.

Oldupsman does have a point in letting them push you around. Many managers were really abusive in the old days. Don't let them under your skin. Most supervisors are really just temporary employees anyway these days.

All in all, if I worked as few hours as I did 30 years ago, the job would be easier today than back then.
But the long hours, higher stop counts, and late start times make the job overall more difficult today.
That's why the 9.5 list is so important. Stand up for yourself, don't let them get to you, and the job becomes enjoyable.