how long do you think sticks will be around?

S

selfcancelsignal

The Ryobi portable radio with rechargeable battery works great and is loud enough to be heard all day and you can hook your ipod up to it.
I have a Milwaukee that I love!

Sent from the 64GB US Cellular iPhone 5S of selfcancelsignal

Cementups

Box Monkey
So the car can be shifted without using the clutch? When you hear it get to the necessary RPMs you just move the stick to the new position?

Never occurred to me to do that....

Don't listen to Cosmo. Even though he's been driving cars so long his first car was a Model T brand new off the lot.

Yes, speed shifting is very easy. It's a just feel you develop for knowing when to shift. I learned it by watching my dad when I was a kid.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Stick shifts will never leave us.

Rumor has it, that the old ones will be outfitted with brooms and shoved up your asses so you can clean as you go.

It's called multi-tasking, sir, and say thanks that you have a dual purpose job. There WILL be an adjustment in your daily performance, but the allowance isn't what you feel.

Keep moving, though, movement is energy, and energy is progress, and soreness is expected.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Don't listen to Cosmo. Even though he's been driving cars so long his first car was a Model T brand new off the lot.

Yes, speed shifting is very easy. It's a just feel you develop for knowing when to shift. I learned it by watching my dad when I was a kid.

As cement ups States. Speed shifting is really easy. Just listen to it. You can tell and feel when to shift. It really sucks it into the next gear. As you get good at it ,down shifting is also easy to do. Stop signs into 2nd gear. Is your stop. Using your brakes. Saves on your legs. They do get tired by the end of the day

oldupsman

My Dad taught me to drive on a stick even though we owned an automatic. He said if you can drive a stick
then you can drive anything in case of an emergency. He was right. Amazing how he was right about alot of things.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My Dad taught me to drive on a stick even though we owned an automatic. He said if you can drive a stick
then you can drive anything in case of an emergency. He was right. Amazing how he was right about alot of things.

I made sure both kids learned how to drive a stick. This worked out well fort daughter as she was the DD at a party and the only available car was manual transmission.

Sent using BrownCafe App

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

I used to shift without the clutch all the time. As I rembember, the GMC 500's didn't much like it.

(And you'll hear some horrendous sounds during the learning process.)

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Ok....how easy is it to drop a clutch? I've heard it has happened to just about everyone. While I know that to be an exaggeration, nonetheless the thought of dropping one keeps me from exploring the shifting capabilities more.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
We were told a couple of years ago that automotive was no longer buying parts for them and that as the current parts supply ran out, the cars would be crushed rather than be repaired.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Actually the older cars are on a watch list and not to exceed a certain dollar amount per month for upkeep. Usually about $3k. A blown engine is usually terminal for one.

MethodsMan

My favorite random beep is when the gas light goes on when you turn a corner even though you have a half a tank of gas.

Last edited:

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
My favorite random beep is when the gas light goes on when you turn a corner even though you have a half a tank of gas.
The tanks have no baffles, so the fuel sloshing around sets off the low fuel warning. Make note of the reading after the stop is complete before you start moving again.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I remember when they were phasing out the 600. For two weeks I had about five different trucks. One's gas milelage was so bad I would have to top of the tank or I would run out of gas on the way back in.

Mack Grant

I agree with you about the beeps on the new cars. The emergency flashers are especially annoying.
What's even worse is when you have the headlights AND the flashers on when you stop the car and it gives off that piercing alternating shriek that can be heard for 100 plus yards. No need to sound the horn when you need an adult sig, just hit the flashers baby!!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
5 more years, 10 more years? I hate driving them. I can drive them but i em always more stressed driving them compared to a personal vehicle. Since i dont want to go into an awkward area and have to pull on austin powers on a hill etc.

Sticks are fun to drive in my free time and i can drive ups sticks but i will be happy when they are gone. Like i killed it recently trying to pull on a very busy country road and it was scary having cars heading towards me fast while i had to restart the engine. Like i didnt kill it once the entire day and i was just heading home and it happened in an awkward location. Nothing bad happened but still.. UPS saves money holding onto them but they prob cause a percentage increase in accidents via rolling backwards and killing it. Its just a fact so ill be happy when they are gone.
OMG !!!! You are a truck driver !! A professional one at that !!
Grow up ,,how the hell do you think the rest
of the UPS men did it before you !!
The days of riding in the back of your moms mini van to soccer games to get a trophy for just showing up are OVAH !!!