How many of you still have vacations left for the year?

HarryWarden

Normally save my vacations until the end of the year, but now with the potential strike and wondering if it ends up lasting a long time, I’m wondering if I should use some of them up before august incase I’m not able to use them

Siveriano

Normally save my vacations until the end of the year, but now with the potential strike and wondering if it ends up lasting a long time, I’m wondering if I should use some of them up before august incase I’m not able to use them
177, we pick usually on Nov/Dec for next year, so Nov 2023 we pick 2024.
I still got all my sick days, personal days and rolled over my option week to 2024.

badpal

Knew an old timer who would always backload vacations till after august in a contract year so he would get paid more.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Take them asap. You may be on the street next month.

Steamer

UPS thinks that they can keep doing business without Teamsters it seems. We may all be on a permanent vacation soon. They are ready to burn this bitch down. Economically they will lose business. But they may think that in the long run that they can recover and save money. It seems that they plan to test this theory. Sean O'Brien talked enough smack on national TV and at rallies that it seems to have pissed them off a tad. We shall see.

Last edited:

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
UPS thinks that they can keep doing business without Teamsters it seems. We may all be on a permanent vacation soon. They are ready to burn this bitch down. Economically they will lose business. But they may think that in the long run that they can recover and save money.

Don’t drink their kool-aid…if the Company believes that it would have “closed shop” a long time ago.

“Economically they will lose business”…

Over what issue … paying their part timers more over a 5 year span …

The Union stance is if they can negotiate a better starting rate and bring our current part timers hourly rate pass their states’ minimum wage it would force the Company to create more full time positions. No more part timers working full time hours taking away our full timers’ future pension and health and welfare contributions.

The “Central” would be a prime example of what would eventually happen when your vast number of your participants (part timers) were not contributing into our full timers’ pensions. I do not know if it would have made a difference, but it sure didn’t help. The West does have it’s part time membership contributing into their full timers pension trusts and see where they are.

Red Headed Stranger

I wonder if UPS is reluctant to pay more to part-timers because they would then have to also give raises to the part-time supervisors who only make a couple bucks more per hour than the people they supervise. I'm sure UPS pockets a considerable amount of money by not paying pensions out to the thousands of part-time workers who start at UPS but leave after 2 - 3 years and therefore never get an opportunity to collect on their pensions.

MECH-II

🧔‍♂️✊
Why the hell we gotta pick our vacations so early in the year?

We should be able to go online and schedule our sick days/vacas/personal as we choose

It would give our supervisors something to do as well , they’ve been extremely lazy
✊🧔‍♂️

PT Car Washer

I wonder if UPS is reluctant to pay more to part-timers because they would then have to also give raises to the part-time supervisors who only make a couple bucks more per hour than the people they supervise. I'm sure UPS pockets a considerable amount of money by not paying pensions out to the thousands of part-time workers who start at UPS but leave after 2 - 3 years and therefore never get an opportunity to collect on their pensions.
Most of our higher seniority PT already make more an hour then the PT sups. PT sups are nothing more then package handlers with added responsibilities.

moldsporh

Alot.

Have 3 weeks coming up at the end of next week, also have 7 sick...was hard to hold on to those. I Always save 3 for contract time once I had enough..lol.

Trucker Clock

Sean O'Brien talked enough smack on national TV and at rallies that it seems to have pissed them off a tad

Yep.

His mouth and ego are going to put us on strike. UPS says they want the Teamsters to continue to negotiate. Apparently, SOB doesn't want to. Both sides said the other walked out 2 weeks ago. Well, then sit back down and work this out.

It seems that UPS may be willing to increase their offer a little, but I don't think they will come up to what SOB wants. And it also seems that SOB is not willing to come down.

Both sides are going to pay a hefty price over this strike, but UPS will only lose money. We will lose jobs. A lot of jobs.

moldsporh

And it also seems that SOB is not willing to come down
That's the vibe I'm hearing. I applaud his efforts, but we also don't know what's being said.

We live in different times, this isn't 1997, we are publicly traded and profit margins play a much larger role.

UPS has been able to do what it does for over 100 years, through the Great Depression. Not many companies have. Profit margins are used as a bargaining tool, but simple economics will tell you UPS needs room for bear and bull market swings. So we look at UPS having monster profits, but this keeps us employed as well....fairly nice job security.

I favor that.

There's just too much talk from people who use text for persuasion and fear, that don't have a clue of how things work.

If you want to chant strike, make sure you also have your finances lined up as well as another employer if it comes to that.

Something to think about.

Trucker Clock

Yep.

His mouth and ego are going to put us on strike. UPS says they want the Teamsters to continue to negotiate. Apparently, SOB doesn't want to. Both sides said the other walked out 2 weeks ago. Well, then sit back down and work this out.

It seems that UPS may be willing to increase their offer a little, but I don't think they will come up to what SOB wants. And it also seems that SOB is not willing to come down.

Both sides are going to pay a hefty price over this strike, but UPS will only lose money. We will lose jobs. A lot of jobs.

There's also the flipside. I cannot believe UPS will abandon their customers, leave them hanging, lose all that revenue over a couple dollars for PTers that they can easily afford. I think some of the issue is SOB's mouth and rhetoric getting in the way and that he is asking for over a 60% pay increase, to make up for the last 15 years.

HarryWarden

There's also the flipside. I cannot believe UPS will abandon their customers, leave them hanging, lose all that revenue over a couple dollars for PTers that they can easily afford. I think some of the issue is SOB's mouth and rhetoric getting in the way and that he is asking for over a 60% pay increase, to make up for the last 15 years.
SOB said the difference in pay is $6-7 between what the union and company wants