How much weight do we lift in a day

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Just curious, been thinking of this ? for awhile. Has anyone ever calculated how much we lift in one day???????
I had one stop today, 130 40 pd pkgs, thats like, (oh where is my calculator) pds??? Its a lot I know. What is the gross weight limit for trucks? It was my 11th of 110 stops, Im beat.

outta hours

Stops like that make me long for the good old days. Remember not over 100lbs. to any one consignee from any one shipper per day. Soon we will need lift gates to get all the freight delivered. That's the crazy part we are still dispatched like we are still carrying all smalls.

UPSn00b

boxchucker
During the hiring process..which I've just gone through, the HR guy spit out a statistic that loaders move about 40,000lbs. per day. YMMV

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I remember 50 lbs, I think it changed to 7o when I got hired in 84?
And you get the same allowance for 69 lbs as a letter, Really accurate study there, not to mention oversize that they charge for EX hdlng, but we get no more time, just suck it up, and run like hell.

Fredly000

Just Another in Brown
I think they say the average for all packages is 20lbs only cause
they factor envelops in.

So if thats the case
8000lbs today?
But really none of those lbs count as much as that 90lb pottery
barn box... thank you very much...

rushfan

Don't think about it. It's painful for me to think about. Same with the amount of packages I've handled at UPS. It's kind of like doing time in the joint.

browniehound

rushfan said:
Don't think about it. It's painful for me to think about. Same with the amount of packages I've handled at UPS. It's kind of like doing time in the joint.

I've done time in the Joint. Believe me, UPS is a country club compared to the being in the can. Count your blessings.

true_1_ace

well to give you an idea ,having an industrial run I will on some days pu 6000Lbs of freight in my p1000 which is roughly 300 pcs and probably deliver another 1-2000 lbs aprox 180-200 pcs

boxes of paper and locks kill me

Fredly000

Just Another in Brown
It is so strange how boxes of paper no matter the size, still seem to be heavier than I could ever imagine.

Although one of our routes has a company that makes/distributes nuts and bolts...these boxes are by far the heaviest buggers. a 6x6x6 box still seems to be really heavy at 20lbs(at least they know how to package them) I couldn't imagine doing that pickup, its usually about 30 boxes from 15-75 lbs.

DS

Fenderbender
Tooner got me thinkin`...uh oh...:closedeye
I averaged it out,and I figure I deliver approx.
1500 lbs and P/U about 2500 every day.
in a week,thats 20,000 lbs
in a year,(with 4 wks va-ca)its 960,000 lbs
in my 15 yrs as a driver,thats 13.800,000 lbs
The space shuttle weighs 4.4 million pounds
fully loaded with its boosters.So I`ve handled
the equal weight of 3 space shuttles and it took
me 15 years to do it.Wilys probobly handled the
weight of the moon in his life at ups.

S

speeddemon

And when you hurt your back, they tell you its from lifting your 2 year old. What a load of garbage.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
speeddemon said:
And when you hurt your back, they tell you its from lifting your 2 year old. What a load of garbage.

My first hernia happened at a Chemical Plant that shipped three pallets a day of fifty-sixty pound boxes. The second hernia was at a Walmart that got about five pallets a day. The "picking up your child " excuse was used on me, UPS refused to pay, no injury report, make sure you fill one out!

browniehound

scratch_king said:
My first hernia happened at a Chemical Plant that shipped three pallets a day of fifty-sixty pound boxes. The second hernia was at a Walmart that got about five pallets a day. The "picking up your child " excuse was used on me, UPS refused to pay, no injury report, make sure you fill one out!

Its very simple. Don't get hurt and you wont have any problems. Follow the methods and you wont get hurt. At least, thats how ups thinks.

Ms Spoken

Last week I picked up 110 boxes @ 23 lbs going to a one address down in Fl. I felt sorry for that driver. I took me 40 min to load all of these and I was backed up to the over head door. But, there still was no good way to load them other than two at a time with my truck already 70% full from other pick-ups. It makes for a long day. My truck drove like it was a low rider for the rest of day.

I feel your pain Tooner

Just curious, been thinking of this ? for awhile. Has anyone ever calculated how much we lift in one day???????
I had one stop today, 130 40 pd pkgs, thats like, (oh where is my calculator) pds??? Its a lot I know. What is the gross weight limit for trucks? It was my 11th of 110 stops, Im beat.
It's all over now kiddo
Only 12 ounce curls.for you

rod

Retired 22 years
Stops like that make me long for the good old days. Remember not over 100lbs. to any one consignee from any one shipper per day. Soon we will need lift gates to get all the freight delivered. That's the crazy part we are still dispatched like we are still carrying all smalls.

rod

Retired 22 years
We had a pick up that manufactured fishing tackle. Everything from balsa wood bobbers to lead sinkers. You never knew if the next box you had to pick up weighed 5 pounds or 50+

charm299

Today, my last set on the bench press was 180 lbs.i did that 10 times.