How to sum up Orion

F

Frankie's Friend

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1460939512.247889.jpg
IMG_7232.JPG
1552314813_13ca0738f4.jpg
Orion... just follow the methods.

iruhnman630

As drivers, we are supposed to follow the 340 methods.
These methods are the very foundation of our job and are grilled into us from day one.
Failure to follow these methods is grounds for discipline, up to and including termination.
I downloaded a copy of the 340 methods and hghlighted the ones that are completely incompatible with ORION.
The company has literally created a no-win scenario where we have been given conflicting instructions and we are wrong no matter which instruction we follow.
Conflicting instructions under threat of discipline is harrassment and over-supervision, which are prohibited under article 37 of the contract.
These are the methods that are incompatible with ORION:

Section 1 paragraph 2—have a set routine
Section 3 paragraph 4- minimize miles, choose travel path to avoid unneccesary delays
Section 3 paragraph 5- use knowledge of delivery area
Section 3 paragraph 6- follow planned pickup order and choose best path to minimize miles
Section 3 paragraph 8-park appropriately for stops close together, park closest to stop with most difficult package handling situation
Section 4- paragraph 1- planning ahead, negate the need for constant rechecking and rehandling of packages, make fine adjustments to delivery sequence to optimize walk path, visualize travel path for next few stops
Section 4 paragraph 2–know your delivery area, deliver to addresses on the corner from cross streets, use preferred alternate delivery points for time sensitive deliveries
Section 4 paragraph 3–remember 5 stops in advance.
Section5 paragraph 3- face labels for selection and move stops forward to the selection area.
Section 5 paragraph 5- visualize upcoming stops
Section 5 paragraph 6- minimize package handling
Section 5 paragraph 9- utilize 30-60” selection area, deliver sections in the same sequenceas numbered, deliver shelf 1 first, deliver rear door stops to clear floor space, utilize 60” floor selection area.
Section 8 paragraph 2- plan ahead while walking to use optimum path to next stop, optimum storage for carry aid.
Section 15 paragraph 2 section the car to contain pickup volume, keep pickup package seperate from remaining deliveries.

If you follow the methods, you cant follow ORION.
If you follow ORION, you cant follow the methods.

The company needs to make a choice...

'That was the old UPS, this is the new UPS.'

Actual phrase spoken to us when being introduced to ORION.

Re-Raise

A new driver sup just asked me this week if it has always been a disaster at our center.

We have no ability to hire enough preloaders to wrap the sort on time because of some asinine hiring freeze, never enough drivers to staff the operation and no legitimate driver candidates coming from the part-time ranks.

I told him it all stems from UPS thinking they can “dumb down” every position at the company and fill those positions with anyone that can fog a mirror.

ORION is just another effort to replace a thinking and competent decision maker in the driver seat with a robot.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Article 37 still requires us to do our jobs in manner that best represents the company interest.
And we are still required to follow the methods and are subject to discipline if we fail to do so.
If they will put it in writing that methods are no longer to be followed and that I will not be held responsible for service failures due to ORION, then I will be more than happy to drive in circles and waste time and be as stupid and unproductive as they want me to be.
But until then, I am the decision maker...not ORION.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Orion will never work until Commercial stops have 1700 time commits!

Once every business stop is scheduled before 1700 and the trucks are setup so that we can walk into the back of the truck and go straight to the package without 100 packages loaded in the isle Orion very well may shine!

Rack em

Made the Podium

Once every business stop is scheduled before 1700 and the trucks are setup so that we can walk into the back of the truck and go straight to the package without 100 packages loaded in the isle Orion very well may shine!
1700 commits would be a huge help, but that wouldn't scratch the surface of the problem that is orion.

soberups

The easiest way to make ORION work would be to restore RDO and then have drivers hold all stops in prerecord.
Upon return to the building, a clerk could then take the driver’s DIAD and stop complete the work in ORION order.
It would be a win/win. Miles, overtime, overallowed hours, injuries and accidents would all decrease, service would improve, morale would improve, profits would increase, and at the same time we would still be able to spoon-feed the desired compliance metric to the fu**ing brain dead mouth-breathers in Atlanta so that they could continue pretending that their wonderful idea actually works.

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?

That's the most frustrating part especially if you're in the blind.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
ORION is the biggest mistake I have ever seen in my four decades plus with the company. It sounds good in practice, cut miles and save time and fuel. It's major flaw is it isn't a smart enough technology to know it's Left from its Right in the real world that I work in. When you drive into a subdivision or "Cluster", the first stop is the one in the far back of that area. I am supposed to drive by the stops on my right that a sane person would deliver first to save time and most importantly would be the safest work method by not crossing the street. I will be impressed when the company can finally figure out how to load my car in the most efficient delivery order to save my sorting and searching for a package time. They know by the tracking number what a package and it's service level is before the Preload starts up. The other day my Center Manager walked up to me and asked me why I quit the Safety Committee and no longer mentor new drivers. I told her that I don't really think that the company spends a billion dollars a year in technology and cares about my safety or my health by trying to cram more stops on me and cutting routes to look good on paper. The look on her face was priceless.

Heavy Package

How to sum up Orion

Remember all the talk about how ORION was going to be marketed and deployed to many other companies because of how great a tool and engineering marvel it was? Out of the thousands upon thousands of small to medium size delivery companies (furniture, flowers, food, etc. etc.) NOT ONE uses ORION. The fact is that this company WASTED over a billion dollars on this boondoggle when gas was around $4.50 / gallon and then the shale oil reserves were discovered and the oil prices crashed. ORION was obsolete from the rollout when far better and far cheaper technology solutions from Google, etc. are readily available for free or a fraction of the cost in licensing. Heads should roll and a phase out to a newer, cheaper, and better solution with someone we partner with and license should be the solution.

How to sum up Orion

Remember all the talk about how ORION was going to be marketed and deployed to many other companies because of how great a tool and engineering marvel it was? Out of the thousands upon thousands of small to medium size delivery companies (furniture, flowers, food, etc. etc.) NOT ONE uses ORION. The fact is that this company WASTED over a billion dollars on this boondoggle when gas was around $4.50 / gallon and then the shale oil reserves were discovered and the oil prices crashed. ORION was obsolete from the rollout when far better and far cheaper technology solutions from Google, etc. are readily available for free or a fraction of the cost in licensing. Heads should roll and a phase out to a newer, cheaper, and better solution with someone we partner with and license should be the solution.
FAILURE

Heavy Package

Another ORION Boondoggle -

1. You go meet up with a driver and transfer stops. The transferred stops can't even be put into an ORION order. Defaults back to RDO.

2. You don't follow ORION order and hit logical stops the way you want to. ORION solution can not "self heal" and re-optimize. Stops just come out of the board but remain in their original ORION order.

FAIL

https://rowanfreepress.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/report_card_f2-report-card-friend.jpg

soberups

The purpose of ORION is not to save miles.
The purpose of ORION...is to justify the $1.6 billion that has been spent on ORION, and to enhance the job security of the people who made the decision to spend $1.6 billion on ORION.

soberups

“Dynamic” ORION is nothing more than an extension of one of UPS’s fundamental operating principles, which is that we dont fix stupid mistakes...we double down on them.