How to sum up Orion

jbrockins

How is adding routes supposed to add to management's paychecks?

From my interactions with our management team I get the feeling that they don't understand the new rules about 9.5. They are trying to keep everyone under at any cost.
the more routes/drivers, the more responsibility, the bigger the bonus. follow the money.

Chaos

I Am The Devil
You all follow Orion? I ignore it and do the route the way I feel like it. Keep your numbers in good standings and they will never say anything about it.

JL 0513

You all follow Orion? I ignore it and do the route the way I feel like it. Keep your numbers in good standings and they will never say anything about it.

Don't worry, they will when it's your center's turn for the final Orion push. 90-95% now. I aim for 100% everyday. It's a game for me to go for the high score. It's no longer about getting the job done. Gotta chace the metric!

Backing is the other biggest thing which of course conflicts with Orion. Let's just say there's a lot of circles and retracing streets over and over.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Don't worry, they will when it's your center's turn for the final Orion push. 90-95% now. I aim for 100% everyday. It's a game for me to go for the high score. It's no longer about getting the job done. Gotta chace the metric!

Backing is the other biggest thing which of course conflicts with Orion. Let's just say there's a lot of circles and retracing streets over and over.
"Turn right into driveway"
There is no :censored2: driveway

Dr.Brownz

You think that's how it works? I don't think you get a bigger bonus for spending more of the company's money.

A good sup would show that "hey it would have cost XXX amount if we violated 9.5, which is more than the plan we ran"

But most sups at UPS today are barely a step above mentally disabled so that probably doesn't happen

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
A good sup would show that "hey it would have cost XXX amount if we violated 9.5, which is more than the plan we ran"

But most sups at UPS today are barely a step above mentally disabled so that probably doesn't happen

It sounds to me like jb and his fellow drivers want the hours. My main issue with what he wrote was that he thinks bonuses are based on amount of responsibility, not on hitting the right numbers. I would think running more routes at straight time would be cheaper than less routes with OT, even if it's more miles, but a lot of other folks on here disagree.

Rack em

Made the Podium
It sounds to me like jb and his fellow drivers want the hours. My main issue with what he wrote was that he thinks bonuses are based on amount of responsibility, not on hitting the right numbers. I would think running more routes at straight time would be cheaper than less routes with OT, even if it's more miles, but a lot of other folks on here disagree.
You have factor in fuel, insurance on the vehicle, pension contributions, and all the other crap we all forget about. I used to think the same thing that it would be cheaper to eliminate more OT, but someone else on here pointed out all the extra costs of adding even one route and it kind of made sense.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
You have factor in fuel, insurance on the vehicle, pension contributions, and all the other crap we all forget about. I used to think the same thing that it would be cheaper to eliminate more OT, but someone else on here pointed out all the extra costs of adding even one route and it kind of made sense.

I know, I've heard it too. Without seeing actual numbers I would just be speculating. It is probably more of a case by case situation, and the ie folks making the call about number of routes may not factor in certain things like drivers in progression, 9-5 list, etc. It may be that fewer routes is just a rule of thumb rather than the best call for every situation.

One thing that I think gets overlooked on the other side of the argument, however, is the long term cost of running fewer drivers for longer hours. Wear and tear on their bodies likely results in higher injury rates, and exhaustion likely leads to higher accident rates. Either of which can create much higher costs than throwing in an extra route or two daily.